“Courteous staff, clean and spacious room”
Review of Hotel Essencia

Hotel Essencia
Ranked #14 of 37 Hotels in Dumaguete City
Reviewed December 26, 2013

I stayed here for two nights and I enjoyed it very much! My boyfriend made the reservation and it was a smooth process. We were picked up from the airport with no extra cost! The staff were attentive and friendly! The executive room they gave us was very spacious and cozy and for Php 1500, it was a real value for money! The aircon and tv worked well, the bathroom was pristine and the bed was comfy! They don't have complimentary breakfast, though, but you can order from the restaurant in the lobby and they will deliver the food with a minimal charge. What impressed me most though was when I called the reception to ask if there's a convenience store nearby where I can buy some toiletries, the lady asked what I need to buy and they bought it for me and delivered it to our room! Now that's customer service! I would definitely go back here when I'm in Dumaguete!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Osheeri

Reviewed December 26, 2013

I stayed at this hotel from Dec 5 - Dec 10, 2013. I scheduled the deluxe room with two beds online. When I arrived at the hotel, I was able to check in with no problem at the price made online. My stay at this hotel was pleasant, comfortable, and hassle free. The staff were friendly, competent, and very professional from the first day until the last day of my stay. The facilities were modern and well maintained. The location was in the middle of the city and within walking distance of the boulevard. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here and will stay here again. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone planning to visit Dumaguete.

Room Tip: Choose the deluxe suite or twin near the rear of the hotel, away from the street. Less noise.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank solotraveler1302
Reviewed December 24, 2013

We stayed here 3 nights in their best room, it was okay and very clean. We had a big fridge and nothing inside, we bought it ourselves! Staff is friendly, but go out when you want to dine, that's better.

All in all okay, but a little overpriced and they have to take care of the place otherwise it will we looking old and run down soon.

Placed central in the city, walking distance to everything.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DonaMalaga
Reviewed December 24, 2013

Duration of Stay: 3D/2N
Floor: 3rd

Pros:
- The design of the deluxe room was spacious enough even with a king sized bed. A closet and a study table is also provided, and the electrical outlets were conveniently placed below the table and near the bed. This is so that you don't have to move around any furniture to get around the outlet if you need to plug in your laptop or mobile phone.
- The facilities are working well. The room lighting is superb, and the air conditioning unit works great and remote-controlled. The switch layout of the room lighting is also conveniently placed near the bed so that you don't have to get up to turn off the lights.
- The staff, well some of them, are courteous and well-mannered. The reception area are attentive, and helpful, as well as, the bellhop, and even the room service attendant. I was also surprised how they don't touch the personal belongings of a guest when asked to clean the room, and was satisfied how spic and span the area was after I left it all messy.
- The hotel also offers free pick-up from and to the airport although this is not a 24-hour service, and works by schedule.

Cons:
- The service van was late 30 minutes even if I asked an hour extension since my flight was delayed. However, the driver apologized, but not the receptionists.
- The room we were in was not sound proof, and the walls were rather thin. I was placed near the street so I can hear the noise from the outside even if all room windows were closed. Also, some of the guests, and maintenance were quite noisy outside that lobby that I can hear them talk coupled with boisterous laughter.
- The hot and cold shower equipment was a simple lever that does not show any temperature gauge. You have to manually estimate how hot the water is, and believe me, I nearly burned my skin on a wrong estimation. Also, it's also quizzical that they have two shower nozzles where one uses a hose, but no instructions whatsoever on how to get the water out from the other one.
- The layout of the room shows a small window to the bedroom, or vice versa. This is just weird to me personally, but thankfully it included a shade to cover the "naked experience".
- If you're planning on using the complimentary toothpaste and soap, don't! The toothpaste, imported from China, left a bad taste in my mouth, and the soap dried my skin. Fair warning, and get your own toiletries.
- From cost of the room, there is no complimentary breakfast. Even if you order breakfast from the restaurant (a separate establishment from the hotel, by the way), they have no brewed coffee, and serves instant! The food ordered was rather oily, and tasted like hospital food.
- There is no service elevator to the parking area. You have to go down by stairs. I bought a box full of wine with me and it was rather inconvenient to climb the stairs on a heavy load.
- The parking area is unsecured. They have a guard stationed at the entrance, but does not even ask if you're a guest of the hotel when I entered and parked my rented motorcycle. Basically, it seems that they allow people to come and go as they please; and the motorcycle parking area isn't even organized that sometimes I find myself engulfed in a throng of parked motorcycles and had to ask assistance to make way for my rented vehicle.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank acousticshock
Reviewed December 20, 2013

I stayed at this hotel from Oct 12 - 31, 2013. I reserved a room online back here in the u.s without a problem. The check in was smooth and i was in my deluxe suite with king size bed within minutes. I was a little disappointed because of the smallish room especially for the price i paid. Also no free breakfast which brought my score down one dot. i dropped another dot due to poor aircon kept going out and i had to request two times to fix it and you only get two flat pillows. I requested two extra pillows and got them at no extra cost. i paid half the price at a budget hotel and got 5 pillows already in the room. Oh and how about missing towels and soap the maids forgot to replace after taking used ones, i would say at least 3 times a week. I used one free tooth brush in the bathroom one day and it wasn't removed and replaced with a new one.The location is well suited for walking around the city or jumping into a passing trike. I received some greetings from staff only when i looked at them or initiated a greeting towards them. Did i mention no breakfast included with cost per night? This amenity should of been a given.. The restaurant there is not run by the hotel and too expensive and doesn't have a breakfast menu.... go figure!! This restaurant was sparsely occupied by paying customers ..mmmmm... wonder why!! I will say the security was excellent and they did greet me almost everyday. And finally i did get a small extra discount for staying a long period over 14 days. I would stay here again but at half the cost i paid because it is barely 3 dots to be honest.

Room Tip: I stayed in a deluxe suite with king size bed. This room was facing the main road out in front of th...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 17, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for a few days to be closer to town, It was very clean and the staff were very nice and very attentive. Restaurant is very good and well prices too. Only thing is wifi in room very poor , not sure why but that was my only concern. Will stay there again for sure .

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mike T
Reviewed December 1, 2013

So disappointed as we got to move to another room as telephone not working, though the room was spacious and they got good shower. Not a good start when u exhausted and have to move to another room, i and to another room as got another problem in the second room that they move the problem in the second roomis the Internet connection, the third room we moved in is bait smaller but the Internet connection was good, overall not a nice experience to move in 3 rooms in one day.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with good Internet connection if u need it otherwise you will experience what we have...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
#5 of 17 in Dauin
Casa Margaritha
Casa Margaritha
#1 of 1 in Sibulan

Been to Hotel Essencia? Share your experiences!