“New hotel, poor service”
Review of Hotel Essencia

Hotel Essencia
Ranked #13 of 34 Hotels in Dumaguete City
Manila, Philippines
“New hotel, poor service”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Since I frequent Dumaguete City and it's part of my job to try out almost all the hotels in the city, I made reservations in this new hotel for me and my guests. I had no problem making reservations, but when we got there, the front desk officer assigned me to a room that was already occupied. Imagine my surprise when I saw that someone was occupying the room where I'm supposed to stay. I had to wait for several minutes before the staff was able to find a vacant room for me.

The room and bathroom were quite big and I was happy to know that they had a spa at the ground floor. But their restaurant didn't offer breakfast and there was no internet there. The internet in the room was quite fast, though.

Upon check-out, I had to wait because of the slow service of the staff. Oh well, it would take me a long time to try it there again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank purplefrance

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Uppsala, Sweden
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stayed here for one night while waiting for a connecting flight. We had read all the positive reviews, but were still surprised by the hotels high standard and clean and fresh rooms.

The room had nice city views, a large bathroom, LCD TV and a kettle for making coffee or tea. And not least, a very comfortable bed.

We didn't try the restaurant since we went to nearby restaurant KRI for tasty burgers. Highly recommended!

2 Thank ankn81
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed March 30, 2013

I usually stay elsewhere when visiting this enjoyable city. However as it had not yet opened on my last visit. [opened nov 2012] I decided to give it a try.
Being new, everything was very clean, staff were very helpful, the still new promo rates of 1200php for a standard were on par for Dumaguete, which has extremely good hotel values, more than any other place I regularly visit when in the Philippines.
Was an enjoyable stay. I would recommend along with several others, this city has to offer

1 Thank PHoenix242
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I visited Dumaguete twice this year and I stayed in this boutique Essencia Hotel. There is nothing really special with the place but I have to say that it is clean - maybe because it is new. Clean bed sheets, fresh towels... There was a problem with the shower, it was difficult to moderate the water temperature. They also do not serve breakfast, but hey for the price, it is still a good deal. you can just take a walk going to the famous Boulevard, or to the nearby restaurants, spa. I would stay here again should I make a visit to Dumaguete.
staff needs training, they were always running around like headless chicken whenever there were more than two people queuing at the front desk.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
alberta, canada
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Newer hotel 5 blocks from the waterfront 2 blocks from market. Rooms are modern looking, but construction quality seems a little lacking- eg) cracked tiles in shower. Beds are extremely hard even compared to the other hard beds of the Philippines. Agoda had a lower rate then walk-in and hotel couldn't match it. Hotel has no info for tourists, maps of town etc, so head to Harlod's Mansion to book tours and don't pay over 20pesos for a trike ride anywhere.

1 Thank aebAlberta
Makati
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this spanking new hotel in the heart of Dumaguete over the weekend. At their current rates (promo rate?) this place's amenities and service are hard to beat. Rooms are modern with comfy beds, cool airconditioning, free wifi, free coffee in room, free water(from dispenser outside room), nice bathroom and shower. What more can you ask? Restaurant downstairs serves delicious chinese food. Service from all hotel employees we encountered was eager and couteous. And there's ample basement parking and some out the front entrance. I can nitpick but I won't because at these prices this is it for me in dumaguete.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Marikina City
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I stayed at Hotel Essencia for 6 days last December. They are still on their soft-opening period, with good promo rates. I availed of their free service from airport to the hotel. Unfortunately, their shuttle from the hotel to the airport has a fee. :(
Anyways, the staff are very accomodating and courteous. The rooms are well-designed and spacious and clean. The location is good. Walking distance to the "Boulevard", where you can unwind during the night. There are several restaurants and establishments near it like the famous "silvanas".
I never got to try the food in their restaurant. And I hope they get to include free breakfast in their rooms packages.
Overall,