“good value for sure”

Ranked #13 of 53 Dumaguete City B&B and Inns
Regina, Canada
“good value for sure”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

ok, this one is a bit weird, as the hotel was a great value, about fifty dollars Canadian per night. The room is very large (upgraded one), with a kitchen, fridge, microwave, flat screen tv, comfy bed and very decent decor. The bathroom is small and the shower is a tight fit for two rather small people. Its close to downtown and food stops and the boardwalk and the airport. Its easy to catch a cab outside to get where you need to go.

Now the staff. They were not very good, our room did not get cleaned once, and we had to ask for new towels. We tried to make two booking for the spa, for a foot spa and for a massage, and they managed to screw up both bookings. With that said, when we finally did get the massage, it was very good, and very cheap, and the foot spa was great as well.

There was also supposed to be a breakfast included in our room deal, but they never mentioned this till the last morning, and then the breakfast was quite good. There is a restaurant there, sort of..very small and not promoted at all, we went out to eat every night, lots of choices close by. There is also a baker just down the block which is amazing..

when we went to leave, they said they had to check the rooms, which was fine, but we basically had to start walking out before someone came to finally check them.

So, the rooms are a great value, very clean and comfortable, but the staff is very very poor. Good location, nice and safe and easy to get a cab and to get to the downtown.

Room Tip: get the upgrade room, its so worth it. eat out, lost of good food nearby. make sure you ask for yo...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank williezee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Elmhurst, New York
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I stayed in the hotel 30 April to 2 May 2013. I fully agree with zowiezowie and Panchoy, but am doubtful about Bernard2608's review, which did not at all touch on the service, but I agree that the place was indeed superb! The day before my arrival, I called the hotel to arrange airport pick up and early check in since this was our first visit to Dumaguete and our flight from Manila was arriving at 10:40. The receptionist who answered the phone had no idea at all of my booking, telling me that it was only the manager who had the computer. When asked to be connected to the manager, was told that she was till sleeping and that she usually reports for work after lunch. I asked the receptionist to pass on the message to the manager and to make sure she's ready with the answers to my queries in order to avoid a large phone bill. When I called at 1:30pm, I was put on hold for about 5 minutes, probably to wake up the manager, who lived in the hotel premises. I had to hang up and call back after 2 minutes and was finally on the phone with sleeping beauty, who did not apologize for her unavailability in the morning and for taking time to get on the phone. She dared ask me what my "concerns" were to which I rapidly replied that I had left the message with the receptionist because I did not want to waste my time repeating myself and have a large phone bill. I intentionally did not repeat my queries to see if the message was indeed passed on by the receptionist. She then told me that I will be picked up at the airport and that if the room allotted for me would be vacated early, they could check me in at an earlier time. We were met at the airport by the driver and the room boy, the other full time staff of the hotel, aside from the receptionist. Upon arrival at the hotel, I expected to be welcomed by the manager who knew that guests were arriving, but she was nowhere to be found. We were informed by the receptionist that the room will not be ready for another 2 hours and that we could go ahead and go around the city while they hold on to our luggage. When asked what there was to do in Dumaguete to while away the time, I was given a blank stare by the receptionist! She had no idea what their beautiful city could offer first-time visitors! We asked if we could be dropped off at the boulevard or the city proper and were told that the manager needed to use the car and we could just take the tricycle to wherever it is we wanted to go! We asked about a taxi or a car rental, but all they could offer were the tricycles. When we got back to the hotel after 2 hours, we were shown 2 rooms to choose from....a smaller and a bigger one....guess which one I took, after all I paid for a premium suite! Once in our room, the air conditioner was blowing warm air, there was no soap in the bathroom, the bathroom had a peculiar smell and was not very clean! The cable TV's reception was very snowy and was never fixed in spite our asking them to do so. Were told that it was not their fault, but the cable company's....no attempt to contact the cable company was made. There was no phone in the room so my husband had to go up and down to ask for the soap, cold pitcher of water, etc. Before leaving the hotel for the day, we asked the receptionist about the tours in the brochure that I picked up at the airport. She had no idea about the tours and had to check with the manager. I asked her to arrange for a day tour and the lunch cruise that included dolphin/whale watching and was told again that she will inform the manager. We ended up not doing any of the stuff because of lack of time as the manager gave the answer a little too late! The night before we left I asked the receptionist if we could be dropped off at the airport and, after checking with the absentee manager, was told that we were entitled to only one free airport service and I had to pay P200 for the drop off, which was fine. However, my package included welcome drinks, which we had to ask for, and 2 massages, which we never got because the reception had no idea that it was included in the package. The person who should know about it was never in the hotel, at least while I was there. So I negotiated and traded off the 2 massages with a free airport drop off. All in all, the staff were very good, very helpful and very courteous, however they needed to be trained professionally. Also, if the manager would rather not face the guests, I suggest she share all information needed with the receptionist whose forever reply was, "I'll have to check with the manager". The manager should also take formal training on how to run a boutique hotel properly. She was there at the reception desk after I had breakfast and asked the receptionist to confirm that we were going to be dropped off at the airport. Did the manager get up and talk to me herself? No....she hid behind the desk and did not even look at the receptionist when she asked her....all she did was nod her head....this, I think is very unprofessional. I wanted to give her a piece of my mind, but thought I'd rather put all my thoughts here so the owner, who was in Cebu, could read about the super poor service of his hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Mae A
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 5, 2013

From a design and value standpoint, the place is beautiful and incredible value for the money. The buildings surround a main courtyard that has the red fountain as its main feature. There are many places to sit and relax, having as much privacy or contact as you wish. The staff are very friendly and accommodating.

The premier room is clean and cosy with lovely design, colours, and accents. It has all the basic features you'll need, along with a refrigerator, an LCD TV, hair dryer, free wi-fi, little square dining table for two, a cozy divan, and finishing touches of art.

The lovely details goes for all the public places inside the hotel, with wooden artful sculptures that are mostly human-like, and artsy furniture with pleasant colour combinations and arrangement.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Bernard2608
UK
Reviewed December 25, 2012

First impressions of this place are wow as aesthetically they've done a great job. Unfortunately, actually staying in a room is a different story.
I suggest the owner spends a night as a guest in the rooms (we had a suite) to see what it is like. With a few changes the guests experience could be significantly improved.
I had the most uncomfortable nights sleep of the trip to date due to:
Paper thin walls, could hear conversations in the courtyard as clear as if they were in the room (plus all traffic noise but to that is to be expected). Music played from 6am!
Noisy dilapidated air conditioning which didn't work very well (my husband insisted we kept it on as it at least drowned out all the other noise)
Bed pushed against the wall so I had to climb over my husband to get out
Tiny bathroom where door hits toilet whenever you open it.
No toiletries at all in the room (not even soap to properly wash your hands)
T. V. Didn't work (but didn't ask for help so could have been user error)
Hard bed / lack of pillows
Poor breakfast (black treacle on pancakes? )
Friendly staff but not very experienced
In summary I suspect design has taken priority over practicality in this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012
4 Thank zowiezowie
Edmonton
Reviewed December 16, 2012

I am not sure my view on a hotel has changed so quickly before as it did with my recent stay at Island's Leisure Hotel. From a design and value standpoint, the place is beautiful and incredible value for the money. When I walked in the "wow factor" definitely hit me. Having an hour long Swedish massage 30 minutes after my arrival didn't hurt either. After that, things started to go downhill. While very friendly and willing to help, the team there just couldn't execute….

To give you some examples, there was no soap available for the first night. I was given shampoo instead. As well, the staff (which there were lots) weren't well trained. For example, when I had dinner the first night, the waiter had to constantly go over to one of the other staff members to have my questions answered. The other staff member eventually just came over to take my order. There were also many items on the menu which were not available. Another example was that there seemed to be next to no one who knew how the security boxes in the room worked. I was unable to reopen mine on the morning of my departure (no instruction guide), so they ended up breaking it open to get in... They tried many keys, but none were labeled. I could go on with many more examples, but the team there still has a long way to go to the point where their service matches the level of the quality of the rest of the hotel.

On another note, the internet only worked for me in my room.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank Panchoy
Bacoor, Philippines
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Island's Leisure is a fairly new boutique hotel which have been open for only around 5 months. The premier room is clean and cozy with lovely design, colors, and accents. The lovely details goes for all the public places inside the hotel, with wooden artful sculptures that are mostly human-like, and artsy furniture with pleasant color combinations and arrangement.

On the outside, the hotel is plainly disguised with a very white wall fencing with straws and a red door. The premier room has all the basic features you'll need, along with a refrigerator, an LCD TV, hair dryer, free wi-fi, little square dining table for two, a cozy divan, and finishing touches of art. The only downside was that they didn't have readily available toiletries and slippers in the room, and no complimentary drinking water. They have complimentary breakfast (a la carte) in the morning. The staff are very friendly and accommodating. The hotel is close to Silliman University/ Medical Center, a church, a wet market, and the airport (plus points). Cabs are not so frequent in this city, they have tricycles though which charge only 9php/person. They also have free airport transfers but we weren't able to avail of this one since they said thay they were doing something first, but we needed to get to the airport already hence we hailed a tricycle instead.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank isthy
Cebu Island, Philippines
Reviewed November 18, 2012

actually saw this boutique hotel on the internet and read some
good reviews on this place. We were check in guest looking
for a cheap accommodation, one of the staff in the reception area offered us
a premier suite room at P900 from the 1300 rate but without breakfast. It
was actually a good offer so we said yes. Since we were there around 9:30,
we were informed that we can't check in until noon.
We decided to travel around the boulevard and told them to send us a text if
our room was ready. We toured around the boutique and saw the Spa room, the pool area and
the living roo. We decided to travel around the boulevard and told them to send us a text if
our room was ready.

At around 11 plus we received a text from them that they gave out a wrong information
And the only available room was the WELLNESS Room which was more NICER than the duo pad ( our first
option) but still shared bathroom. It was not something we quite expected and we were really unhappy about
it. We went back to the hotel and asked as to why this happened. A different staff in the reception
are told us that a guest extended. He even said "It's up to you if you will stay , or you can find another place"
Now that was just being rude. So we tried to look at the "more nicer room" and guess what? They offered
us their massage room which only had 2 beds on the floor, and nothing on it all.
It was most upsetting considering their beautiful place. We don’t want to pay 900, while sleeping on the floor.

We decided to go to florentinas, which was a bit more expensive but our room had LCD tv, hot and col shower.

Im sorry but I think that
they should never treat their guest in any way like that.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends