“Surpassed my expectations”

Go Hotels Dumaguete
Ranked #17 of 37 Hotels in Dumaguete City
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I got a 4D3N deal in this Hotel for on Php 1400. Since I got it really cheap, I wasn't really expecting much. Anyway, I just needed a bed to rest for the night, and that's it. So a fancy-pancy hotel was not preferred. Surprise surprise! It's still not a fancy hotel, BUT it could very well pass as a 3-star hotel...allow me to tell you the reason behind this rating...

(+) 1. Location is soo near Robinson's mall, which means easy access to anything you'd need to buy (from grocery items to slippers you might have forgotten to pack); 2. it's easy to tell to bisaya-speaking tricycle drivers where you're heading, since you just need to say "Rob?" and they know it; 3. it's only 3-5 mins away from the heart of Dumaguete, costs Php 9.00/person/ride. 4. Bed is so comfy, clean white comforter sheets and 4-pcs of fluffy pillows; 5. Clean bathroom + LCD TV + good working aircon; 6. Front door is hi-tech, works on card scan. 7. Polite and accommodating staff

(-) 1. Additional toiletries need to be bought and airport transfers comes with an additional price (Php 100); 2. Check-out time is 11:00 (which for me is too early), while check-in time is 2pm. 3. Cleaning-lady did not arrive even though I left the "make bed" card out the door; 4. Breakfast is not included in the room price, but is offered at 99-Php. 5. Room acoustic is not that good...you can still hear people in the halls; 6. Curtains could have been doubled, as light still goes through; 7. Wi-Fi problems persisted often

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank SnapSnapTurtle

Reviewed October 12, 2012

The hotel is clean and comfortable. The rooms are a bit small with just a standard selection,but for the rate that we paid it was adequate. No room service and rates are based on overall occupancy of the hotel during the time you book. A little flexibility might be needed, but its a more of a travelers hotel so system based rates is the most efficient thing to do in terms of protecting the room inventory. I was surprise the bathroom had drop showers that made my stay.

Room Tip: book in advance to get cheaper rates. all rooms are the same but if you get your reservation during...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank geb162
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Great value hotel. No frills, but cozy. The entirety of the hotel is clean and well maintained with free wi-fi too :D The staff are kind and accommodating.

Conveniently located beside Robinson's Dumaguete and the new Ceres Bus Terminal (which will open soon)! I will surely stay here again if I happen to visit Dumaguete again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank theLakwatsero
Reviewed August 11, 2012

stayed here for 2 nights. i like the comfy bed and quilt (u need it when the air conditioning gets a bit colder). it's in back of robinson's mall (a big plus). when u visit dumaguete (besides being dubbed as the city of gentle people, it's also the city of noise--too many pedicabs and motorcycles) and u want a good sleep, this is the place to stay. be sure to stay in the rooms facing the sea not the mall. the samsung split aircon and the sliding glass windows add to the quiet and tranquility of the room.
downside: the lobby is hot (not airconditioned) and they charge a glass of hot water--P10

Room Tip: rooms facing the sea are quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank justin f
Reviewed June 8, 2012

We live in Dumaguete. We had concluded that we had little first - hand experience of hotels in our own city. How could we recommend accommodation to visitors? We decided to try it out!

The GO hotel is the second of an emerging set of national properties. It is located behind and adjacent to the Robinson Mall. Both are owned by Robinson Land Company.

It is walking distance from the CERES bus terminal. A pedicab quickly brings you to or from the port and a premium ride finds Dumaguete's airport. Well situated for the daytime exploration of Dumaguete, the location can prove a disadvantage when seeking transport outside the mall's operating hours.

The GO hotel is a good value at any price, which varies depending on the degree to which an advance booking is made. Even as "walk in" customers, our price was competitive with the local competition. In our case it worked out to less than PP 1K/night for our three night stay.

Having recently opened, GO hotel is still shaking out. Management is attentive to deficiencies and responded immediately and positively to those we reported.

This is GO hotel's second venture after the Manila EDSA location. Some minor improvements to that operation are noted. There is a retractable clothesline installed in the huge rainshower enclosure. The bathroom lighting level is, however, unacceptably low. My wife was forced to build her face in the large bedroom mirror. I found myself shaving there as well.

Key control is achieved through RFID technology, an enhancement over the magnetic striping at the EDSA location.

We enjoyed our stay and will repeat it. We will enthusiastically recommend it to visitors to Dumaguete.

Room Tip: None. All appeared to be good
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank davfitz
Reviewed May 14, 2012

It's the newest budget hotel in Dumaguete so you can expect everything to be in good condition. New small rooms, cool aircon, fast wifi connection. I liked their firm bed and fluffy pillows. I also like their courteous staff. They are so different from the ground staff of their partner airline.

We stayed there for 2 nights and experienced frequent though brief power outages in the middle of the night and during early morning. I asked my friends who lived in the city if they experienced any brownout and they said there was none. This meant the power outages were probably limited to the hotel.

What I didn't get was the low position of their shower head. Was it really meant for vertically challenged guests or did they feel that guests would prefer to hold the shower head while taking a bath, which meant you would have to exert more effort instead of just cooling down under the shower? Well, you'd have to bend down if you wanted to do this. I know this is a budget hotel, but placing the shower head higher didn't entail added cost so I don't understand why they had to do this.

We were also surprised that the housekeeping staff didn't clean our rooms. Well, yes we weren't able to hang that "pls make up my room" sign on the door but we never do in other hotels and yet, we still go back to a made up room at night. Guess, you just have to really hang that sign if you want your room to be cleaned and your towel replaced with a new one.

I also didn't like the fact that you had to reserve through the website if you wanted a lower rate. What about the people in the city who wanted to try staying there but didn't have internet access? They had to settle for the walk-in rate then. I booked through the internet and was given a room rate of about PhP1,000+/night.

I'm not sure if this hotel will still look this good after a year. Dumaguete has other budget hotels that are far better than this one in terms of rate, facilities, and location. So whether you're on a budget or not, you have other options.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
6  Thank purplefrance
Reviewed May 10, 2012

I stayed at GoHotel for one night only since I wanted to experience their newly opened branch in Dumaguete. I was checked in here for the first night of my 5-day trip in Central Visayas. I booked the room only about a week prior to my arrival but I was able to get the room at P588 (should I made the booking a few days I earlier I would have availed the P388 rate). Anyway, it was still cheap considering the walk-in rate is P1,888 something. In case you don't know, GoHotels have a different pricing scheme - the earlier you book, the cheaper. :)

I arrived in Dumaguete City at 9am in the morning and went directly to GoHotel. Since check-in time is 2pm, I was expecting to work online while waiting but they don't have an area where you could comfortably sit and use your laptop. They don't have laptop stations like the ones in Mandaluyong branch (probably because the building is not that big). The convenient store inside the building was still not operational so I couldn't stay there either. Robinson's Place, which is just a stone throw away, was to open at 10am. I decided to go for a tour to Balinsasayao Twin Lakes and return just in time for the check-in. I was happy to know they can keep my luggage at P50.

After the tour, I went back to the hotel a little past 2pm. Checked in and glad to see their new and clean room. It has LCD TV, double bed, safety box, hot & cold shower, etc. I went online but couldn't access their wifi but their staff was very helpful. He went to see and checked my laptop. The wifi was too slow considering the router is just outside my room. I kind of felt disappointed because I was expecting a lot about it. The staff restarted the modem and eventually the internet speed became really fast - just like I expect it - during my entire stay.

From my room, I called their reception to inquire if they know the schedule of ferry trips to Liloan, Cebu for the next day. The staff informed me that they will call the shipping line to confirm the schedule. After awhile I received a call from the reception informing me about the updated sched. I was impressed.

The next day, I had to leave very early for my day trip to Oslob, Cebu. I'm not checked in for the second day so I had to check out before I leave. I was still glad to know that they could keep my luggage for a fee even if I'm not staying there for another night. I decided to leave some of my stuff since I will be returning back to Dumaguete after my Oslob trip late in the afternoon/evening. Returned to the hotel at around 6pm, claimed my luggage and left to transfer to another hotel.

I was not sure about my itinerary when I booked a room -- the reason why I only reserved for one night. When my itinerary was fixed, I tried to check the room rate to book for another night but the rate was already P888. I found it quite expensive (I'm checking in the evening and checking out very early the next day for my trip to Siquijor) so I decided to look for a cheaper option.

Pros:
-Friendly, helpful and attentive staff (including the security guards)
-Very nice, clean room
-Fast wifi
-Luggage keeping service
-There is a spa, travel agency and laundry service booths inside the building if you need them
-Stone throw away from Robinson's Place

Cons:
-A little far away from the downtown
-No laptop station in the lobby
-No nearby restaurants if you're looking for food late in the evening (if Robinson's Place is already closed) - probably not a problem when the convenient store starts its operation

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank gabzki