“not many choices but prices are unbeatable” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 15 Restaurants in Paje
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Seating
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Seating
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“not many choices but prices are unbeatable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

Teddy's place is a good option because since it is a hostel, you might actually meet with other travelers and get some advice. Food is good. not fast. cheap comparing to other options. Seafood pasta is recommended. Karibu Teddy is a nice cocktail but I wouldn't ask for the rest. Bloody Mary is a definite no; Hakuna Matata depends who is in the bar. 7000-10000 for cocktails and 11000-14000 for food.

Visited November 2013

Bangkok, Thailand
“I was robbed and insulted by the staff!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

I arrived in Teddy's original place in the first days of July, it was 15 $ for the dorm... I bargained and could only get down to 14 $ if I paid 4 nights immediately; I did pay for 4 nights, that was my mistake... my other mistake was to expect a backpackers place while it is not at all for backpackers.
Later, I asked to use their kitchen, as it is commonly possible in lodges in Africa; they said they have a "chef" so I cannot use the kitchen. As in Teddy place, food is ridiculously expensive, I decided to look for another accommodation where you don't get European prices for African standards, that means that in Teddy place it was no hot water, nearly no pressure for a cold shower, and some guys employed to push you to drink and party every half an hour, smoke your cigarets and make you feel uncomfortable if you just wanna relax.
After sleeping one night there and finding another accommodation, I told them in the morning that I wanted to check out and be refunded for the 3 nights I paid and was not gonna spend here. Immediately, the staff got very angry and said "No, you leave but we don't give you anything back", they phoned the boss who told them to pay me back only two nights because it was already 10.30 am, and the check out time was 10.00 am. The staff insisted in the fact that, if it was them "they would not have given anything back"... surprisingly full of hate.
So, I told them that I was gonna stay here for the second night I paid for and could not be refunded for, and leave the following day. At this point, the staff got even more angry and insulted me "[--] you!". I also got pissed but tried to stay polite. The only explanations they gave for their anger were "Europe is expensive, you are European so you pay European prices" and "So you have no right to complain about our prices".
After this very unpleasant discussion, I tried to stay for the second night I paid for, but, as there is a big wall around the lodge, the staff told the guards not to let me go out... I found myself in a surreal situation... I was somehow jailed into this lodge, and could not even go out to buy water in the village! I finally decided to accept to be robbed the amount of one night by the staff, and left without spending here the second night I paid for.
After more than two years traveling, it is the first time I had this kind of problem... I was refunded several times in Europe and Africa in similar situations, regardless check out time. I was very surprised to discover how the staff was full of hate.
My only recommendation is, STAY FAR AWAY FROM THIS LODGE!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Yves D
Waterloo, Canada
“Female Travellers Be Wary!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

Myself and another female friend had dinner here last week. As we finished dinner dusk was quickly settling in and we asked the bartender to call us a taxi. He came and told us the taxi would take over an hour because the fasting for Ramadhan was breaking (which was not a problem for us), but then he told us the taxi would be 10,000 tsh which is double what it takes to go from the town of Paje to our lodge. When we refused the price he said he would see if he could go lower. In the meantime a local guy came over and sat down right beside us smoking a joint, offering us a ride later. No thank you! The bartender came back with a taxi price of 7000 tsh...still too high and when we told him we would just walk then, he said maybe if we stayed the taxi would take 5000. We felt at this point that if we stayed we would be stuck and we were no longer really comfortable there. We left walking in the dark and luckily found another establishment just up the driveway where we got a cab within ten minutes and at the proper price. It was clear that the staff was trying to take advantage of us at Teddy's Place, so unless you want to get taken, look for other lodging/restaurants. There are plenty of other places where you are treated with respect.

• 1 of 5 bubbles