“Take Care”

Paje by Kite - Zanzibar
Ranked #7 of 16 things to do in Paje
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Take Care”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Paje by Kite is a cool place. Very laid back and the staff are great. The accommodation is clean but very basic. Food is excellent and so too is the selection of bar drinks. The kitesurfing gear is excellent and good choice of board and kites to choose from.

The waters for kiting are need to be treated with extreme caution. On the first day I collided with a very shallow reef which resulted in an extremely painful experience with sea urchins in my foot, ultimately resulting with an infection that turned into Osteomyelitis. My instructor gave no forewarning of the reefs or dangers and made jokes about accident. There are no local hospitals and a local is called to remove the spines with a thorn from a tree. I was not the only person to have a reef incident whilst I was there.

On the same day, my friend grazed his knee in shallow waters which became infected and developed into an invasive group A hemolytic streptococcus. He is currently fighting for his life in hospital and either has to have an artificial heart or transplant.

The local fisherman grow seaweed in areas throughout the lagoons and the sticks used to create the growing areas are approximately 2ft tall which sit just below the surface of the water when the tide is in. Although I never saw any serious incidents with these, they need to be treated with extreme care as if a kite trick went all wrong, a person could easily be impaled on one of these.

Don't get me wrong, the place is beautiful and the area relies on tourism so please don't be put off by my comments. Just take on board my comments, pack with you iodine and DuoDerm and ensure you have PROPER GOOD medical insurance!

Visited February 2013

Tel Aviv, Israel
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“Enjoyed learning how to kite surf”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We began a kite surfing course here, though the weather did not permit to conclude it, we enjoyed our experience. It isn't cheap, prices are in euro and quite expensive. But it was an adventure, and apparently Paje is one of the best locations to be learning how to kite surf. Marek was our instructor, and he was great, very thorough and aware of safety.

Visited July 2013