“Good value for the money”

Ndame Beach Lodge Zanzibar
Ranked #3 of 24 Specialty Lodging in Paje
Oslo, Norway
“Good value for the money”
Reviewed August 12, 2012

I was here a few years ago. The place is owned by a Swedish couple. TWO wonderful people who know what service is. The food is fantastic, the rooms are simple, very clean. The beach is breathtaking .. One day I will come back.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Hanseh, Manager at Ndame Beach Lodge Zanzibar, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Thank you for your review. We are glad to hear that you still remember this little piece of heave after so many years. In the meantime, the management has changed now, but the place has only become better and better, with renovated bungalows and a new F&B Manager who makes great pizza and BBQs.
We think it is time to seriously consider coming back to compare it to your previous stay, or not? We hope that we can welcome you again in our little paradise soon!!

With sunny greetings from the Ndame Beach Lodge team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Lovely laid back little spot right on the beach! Miles of white sand to walk on, and easy swimming! Grab a mojito from the beach bar and while away the afternoon watching the kite surfers from the surf schools down the beach (or go and have a few lessons) ..

Breakfast not the strong point of the hotel, but dinner was great and the snack menu very yummy (try the samoosa's) ..

Snorkeling was great, we rented Vespas and rode down the coast one day, bicylces are also available at the hotel. No end of things to do if you want to be busy. Wifi available for those who MUST be in touch with the world. Treat yourself to a massage - one of the best I have ever had.

If you want a 5 star resort then go and book one (and pay for it).. if you want friendly, relaxed, happy place this is it. I would even come back here on my own and not feel weird.

Room Tip: Make sure to check if you have hot water in your room if that is NB to you. Not all of them have it...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Come back then!! Where are you? Ndame is waiting for you, alone or with friends.. We keep on working on the hot waters for all rooms and on the food in the restaurant to make it even more delicious (what was wrong with the breakfast?).

We hope that we can welcome you again in our little paradise soon!!

Stonington, Connecticut
Reviewed July 10, 2012

I love this place. This fits into what I call the East African Mid range hotel or guest house. Reasonable rates. Clean accomodations and a great host. We spent 6 nights here and I would have opted for six months.

One small problem... no hot water when we checked in to our room. Fine... I didn't even know we were supposed to have hot water. Four days later we switched to a room that had it.

Good restaurant, great bar, great beach (when the tide is in) and a wonderful staff from Hans on down to the chamber maids. An intresting mix of guests and an easy walk to the "hot spots" of Paje.

The tours offered by the hotel are good. Snorkling while not the best in the world was some of the best I've had in Kenya and Tanzania. Cheap too with good equipment.

This is generally a great value and well worth a visit. I see the DCVazaha who I know well has a slightly lower opinion. See her view for more detail.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank dennis u
Thank you, Dennis, for the lovely review. Do you miss Zanzibar? Don't you want to come back? We have now more rooms with hot water, plenty of renovations have happened to make sure our guests get what they want - no luxury, but still a nice laid-back, relaxed atmosphere on one of the finest and whitest beaches in Zanzibar and with a friendly team.

We hope that we can welcome you again in our little paradise soon!!

Washington DC
Reviewed June 22, 2012

Ndame Beach Lodge is no frills, overall, the place is a little shabby and in need of a face lift, but I hear they are planning to renovate in the coming months. I wouldn't suggest it as a romantic getaway destination, but it was perfectly fine for a family.

Pros:
--Paje is a beautiful beach, and it is much more low key than some of the other beaches in the north. You can lounge on the beach without being regularly accosted by people selling things (I was only offered henna painting once, on my first day, as opposed to hourly in Kendwa). The tide goes out pretty far at Paje, so the beach is only swimable for part of the day. The snorkeling is not the best in this part of the island, but it is a very popular spot for kitesurfing.

--The room was clean, with a fan, mosquito net and plenty of towels.

--The music in the bar and restaurant are campy 70's-90's classics. I enjoyed it, but I can imagine there are music snobs who would be driven mad by it. Ndame is pretty quiet and low key, this is not where you stay if you want a crazy party every night.

--the staff is friendly, but not clingy

--there is wifi in the restaurant that is free and fairly reliable.

Cons:
--The breakfast 'coffee' is powdered instant stuff, not unusual in Africa, but still a disappointment when great coffee is grown around here. Espresso drinks are available, but at an extra charge.

--Cold showers (icy!) I had been told there would be hot water in one of our rooms, but it was not the case. I would have really appreciated some hot water to wash off the layers of sunscreen and to warm up an a few days where it was rainy and cooler.

--No credit cards accepted. Again, not unusual around here, but worth noting. The closest ATM might be back in Stonetown. It would be great if they could at least offer pay-pal since you could pay online.

--They have a weird habit of cleaning everything off in the restaurant with a duster, including the tables. A wet rag would be a bit more sanitary.

--the food at the restaurant is fine, but rather uninspired, the menu definitely gets tiresome after a few meals. (I suggest checking out Paje by Night for dinner, great menu and not far of a walk south on the beach-- and they take credit cards)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review, and we welcome all comments. We are glad that you enjoyed it overall, but we would like to comment on some points:
Yes, the breakfast coffee is instant, but it is Africafe, which is one of the best instant coffees we have ever come across. While we understand that you would have preferred to have filter or espresso, we don't know many hotels that offer coffee for free, all day long.
We have improved the hot water situation, and now most rooms have hot water.
We are working hard on the credit card situation, but since this is Africa, everything takes longer. The process is still going, but soon we shall have credit card facilities which will make our (and our guests') lives a lot easier. The same applies for online payment.
We also noted your comment of cleaning with a duster, and have passed it on to the restaurant staff. Maybe your suggestion will prove to be more effective and sanitary.
As to the food, guests are welcome to try out the restaurants in Paje, although we do try and offer different lunch and dinner specials as well as BBQs in the evenings as a add-on to our regular menu. Our pizza has become quite popular among visitors and expats, so maybe you still consider coming back one day.

We hope to welcome you back one day - our beach, rooms and staff have made a good impression on you, so maybe next time we can try and convince you on the food!

Sunny greetings from the Ndame Beach Lodge team
Celje
Reviewed May 14, 2012

We're family from Slovenia who spent in Ndame 10 days. It was fantastic! Lodge is very nice, a lot of flowers, palms,... Bungalows and rooms are clean, every rooms is supllied with mosquito net. In the morning you are waked up with song of birds and waves from the sea - just like in dreams :) You can also watch for beautiful sunset.
Food is fantastic! The menu offers you European food such as pizza, spagheti, but you can also try Zanzibar's traditional food. You have many choices and food is really delicious. For breakfast you can eat eggs, bread, marmelade, butter, honey, pancakes and fresh fruit (we loved ananas!). Fresh juice is made from papaya which grows in front of the restaurant, so it's always fresh.
Staff is very friendly and Hans is great person! One of the persons, you must to meet :)
Beach is beautiful..white sand, coconut palms,... Water was very warm - one day 30°C.
Destination is really amazing..in the evening they light a candles and when you sit in the restaurant, watching sunset and candles, hear the romantic music, you feel just like in dreams.
We would friendly recommened the hostel to all - families, couples and also older people, because it's such a quiet and peacfull place.
Ndame is great!
Kaja

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank kajapol
Hanseh, Manager at Ndame Beach Lodge Zanzibar, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Hi Kaja - although it has been some time, thank you very much for taking your time to review our place. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay last year, and we are happy to let you know that things have only become better. Of course, the beach and the sea are still as amazing as ever, but we like to think that our food has become even better and our staff keeps on doing a fantastic job by taking care of the guests.
We hope to welcome you again one day in our little paradise on the beach
All the best from the Ndame Beach Lodge team
hambourg
Reviewed April 28, 2012

The best place to chillout ! One of the nicest place in Zanzibar ! And try the Pina Colada in a fresh Coconut and the grilled Tunasteak ! Familiar and friendly Staff ! Very good mangement ! Waterpressure is low but this is standard in Zanzibar ! Asante Sana for this amazing holiday ! I'll back soon !

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Hi Jan - it's been some time since you wrote the review, but still: thank you! It's lovely to hear that you enjoyed your stay last year, and we are happy to tell you that our lodge has only improved: the location and the staff are still amazing, and the food has certainly become much better - our restaurant is now one of the most popular in Paje.
We hope to see you back here in our little paradise soon!
All the best from Ndame Beach Lodge team
Reviewed March 27, 2012

What more can you want from a beach lodge? A beach right at your doorstep, a welcome drink as you arrive, cushions to lie on by the beach, a bowl of water by your room door to wash your feet from sand and dining under the stars. However as I was to discover, I was still receiving more than I could have asked for from Ndame Lodge, almost 3 months after arriving home in Australia! Upon leaving the lodge, I left behind my mobile phone, however, a quick email to Ndame Lodge and I was assured by Hans that it would be posted to Nairobi for me for pick up. However, now back in Australia, I was still awaiting my phone when I received an email a few days ago from Aisha telling me that the phone had been sent back to Ndame lodge as I had provided an incorrect address. When I hesitantly suggested they now send to phone back to Australia, I was pleasantly surprised when Aisha replied that not only would they send the phone back to Australia but free of charge! This just brought me back to my travels in Africa where one of my greatest experiences were with the locals, not only do they smile a lot, are welcoming and friendly but they actually give a damn! I don’t even care if my phone doesn’t arrive now as I’m just satisfied that Hans and Aisha actually cared!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank hockeefan
Hi. It's been a long time, but first question: did the phone arrive in the end???
We are glad to hear that you have such nice memories of our lodge, and it would be lovely to welcome you again - we have made quite a lot of improvements since you left, and we are sure that you would have a wonderful relaxing time in our little paradise.
All the best from the Ndame Beach Lodge team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paje
Coral Rock Zanzibar
Kisiwa On The Beach Resort
Dhow Inn
Dhow Inn
#4 of 8 in Paje
Zanzibar White Sand Luxury Villas & Spa (Relais & Chateaux)
Reef & Beach Resort Zanzibar

Been to Ndame Beach Lodge Zanzibar? Share your experiences!