Ndame Beach Lodge Zanzibar
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Dhow Inn(Paje)
View Hotel
All reviewsrooms are very basichot waterblue indian oceansmall bungalowsgreat resortlocal foodkite surferslow tidebar tenderwi filocal lifehundred meterspole polefresh fishmosquito netoctopusdelicious food
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 6, 2012

We stayed at Ndame for about a week and loved every second. It was perfect for long walks along the beach, snorkelling, good but not great food, and the staff couldn't have been more helpful.

It's quiet - so bear that in mind, if you're happy reading and relaxing in the sun this is probably the place for you.

There is a cracking Thai food restaurant down the beach (south).

The only thing that really concerned me was that when I asked a waitress if we would be safe walking on the beach after dark she said "maybe not" because of the local kids playing out there. If I was with a few other chaps I may have been happy walking down there but as it was just me and my girlfriend and because the waitress had suggested against it we pretty much stayed in the bars next to Ndame at night. This wasn't an issue for us but thought it worth mentioning. Hopefully Hans will reply and tell you it is definitely safe...

I would go again though.

Room Tip: There were chalets behind ours which was on the beach. Try and stay on the beach, it's lovely seeing the sun come up.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Gavontheweb
Reviewed December 27, 2011

A clean, well looked-after complex composed of small banda-style rooms. The location is fantastic seconds from the beautiful white sand beach and Indian ocean.
The staff were all friendly and helpful. A delicious breakfast served is included in the price, this includes pancakes and fresh fruit. The coffee isn't great but this is Tanzania!! The lunch and evening meals in the restaurant were also delicious and speedy (coming from Tanzania we were used to waiting 90mins for a meal, 10-15mins in the hotel was fab!)
I would recommend organising your own taxi when arriving on the island and barter them down... thats what they are used to the suggested $50 through the hotel is very pricey.
A really relaxing place to stay, would return!
Just a note: remember that Zanzibar is still in Africa (-obvious i know!) but a lot of people expect European style service, and you won't find it... patience always help - relax and enjoy!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 20, 2011

Ndame is humble, clean and queit place. Special thanks to Mr. Hans...

2  Thank Hakan-Tiryaki
Reviewed November 6, 2011

My wife and I had 3 amazing days at Ndame Beach Lodge and would thoroughly recommend it if you are visiting Zanzibar. The beach is unspoiled and has the most amazing clear blue water you could ever imagine. The tide retreats over a kilometre when it is at its lowest and the result is that the water colour is bright aqua – unlike anything I had ever seen before!

We had a very peaceful room and were only a few paces away from the beach so it was the perfect launch-pad for morning and evening swims!

I don’t think I ever felt slightly hungry during the entire time we were there because the food was so delicious and there was so much of it that I couldn’t help myself but enjoy everything that was on offer!

If you’d like to experience a piece of paradise then head to Ndame Beach Lodge, you won’t regret it!

1  Thank Stuart B
Reviewed November 3, 2011

Stunning, peaceful place to spend a few days - probably the most beautiful stretch of ocean you could ever hope to see! The lack of loud music at the bar makes it the perfect place to relax on a couch and read a book just metres from the sea. Alternatively, the beach loungers or hammocks are an equally pleasant place to relax!

The restaurant serves amazing food, with big portions. Wood-fired pizza or fresh fish along with local Zanzibari fare are the order of the day and you won't be disappointed either way. If it's a colourful cocktail you are looking for, or a cup of Italian coffee, they won't disappoint.

We had the best night's sleep under the big ceiling fan where we couldn't hear anything but the rustling leaves in the breeze. Seven of the rooms are undergoing a major renovation and look like they will be really nice once they are finished in a couple of weeks.

Ndame Beach Lodge is the perfect, romantic or family vacation spot on a beautiful island.

1  Thank Lauren B