“Teddy's is my new happy place!”
Review of New Teddy's Place

New Teddy's Place
Ranked #1 of 25 Specialty Lodging in Paje
London, United Kingdom
“Teddy's is my new happy place!”
Reviewed November 30, 2011

I arrived at Teddy's Place planning to spend two nights here and ended up spending eight - that pretty much says it all.

The dorms were clean, showers etc all fine. Teddy's is right on Paje beach at the end so you are close enough to the action, but it still has that deserted island feel. Everything and everyone here is fantastically chilled out, and the food (in particular breakfast which come included) is really tasty,.

Becky and Ignacio (the two managers here) were awesome. They take time out of their busy days to take guests to an amazing sunset spot which was a highlight. They are some of the most warm and wonderful people I have had the pleasure of meeting on my travels.

Teddy's is now my new happy place!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank angrydave

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Czech first
Jinja, Uganda
Reviewed November 27, 2011

Teddy's Place was by far the best place in Zanzibar that my friends and i visited. The place was lovely, the staff are the most welcoming, friendly and generally nice people ever. the whole place had such a friendly vibe, the food is AMAZING, the beach is stunning and you will have it completely to your selves! its cheap, value for money and u would not regret staying there. i 100 percent recommend it!

Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 27, 2011

I was recommended Teddy's Place by a friend who knows Zanzibar pretty well, and he said it was the nicest place on a budget to go so thought me and my friends would check it out! we arrived pretty late on the Friday night to be greeted warmly by one of the Managers, who then offered us food from a BBQ and showed us to the room! i instantly felt welcome! the next day woke up and we met the other staff member! again really friendly, welcoming and engaging! They helped us organgise all of our trips like snorkling, and took us to partys along the beach and at other bars!

The food there is really good, I am a bit of a food lover so tried most of there menu, would recommend the sea food pizza.

If you go to Zanzibar this is honestly the place to be!

Dallas, TX
Reviewed November 12, 2011

I just returned from my trip to Teddy's Place.

First and foremost, the service is outstanding and the employees are friendly and not dismissive like so many other places in the area. The food is very good, is a good value and the drinks are also a good price and variety. On Sundays, they have tapas, and for me and my husband, I think we spent $6 and we ate until we were full! They accept dollars, euros, and shillings, so that is very helpful. We did not bother exchanging any money.

The employees go out of their way to make conversation with you and to make you feel at home. They do not push you to buy things; their friendliness is genuine. Because of the casual atmosphere and the many seating areas at Teddy's (the verandah was my favorite with the nice breezes), we got to know many of the other travelers, which you just don't get at a traditional hotel.

I would highly recommend this place to the backpacker crowd, as well as the traveler who wants a good value.

We went snorkeling, to Stone Town, and Prisoner Island that the manager helped arrange for us. This way, we felt we were not being ripped off and were getting the best price.

You can snorkel off the coast, a short boat-ride away, for $15, equipment included! We came home with extra money, which almost never happens and is a nice surprise!

There was a cab driver at the location that gladly took us to the National Park and airport for very reasonable fees. He is very talkative if you ask him questions and we learned a lot about the people in the area and how they lived.

Now for the cons: No air conditioning in the banda and it is very humid; however, you do have a fan in your banda which helps with sleeping. No hot water; however, I did not miss it! The water is not cold so it felt good. Critters -- if you do not keep food in your banda, you should be ok. I never saw any rodents, however, it comes with the territory and there is a sign in your banda saying to please not keep any food inside your banda.

Cambridge
Reviewed October 30, 2011

Teddy's is small and simple, which is part of the appeal for me. I actually liked the fact that the entire place is built on sand (the same beautiful white powder as the beach), including the rooms. If you don't like sand then this probably isn't a good option for you. The veranda ("Amsterdam") overlooking the palm grove and the sea is a brilliant place to chill out and talk to others. The food is also good and slightly better value than other places in the vicinity. The beach is wonderful and when I was there had less seaweed than Bwejuu or Jambiani. The sand was also finer and the beach at its widest. When I go back to Zanzibar, I'll be going to Teddy's!

Room Tip: The dorms only sleep 6 and can be a good way to sleep cheaply
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank gecko4
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed October 2, 2011

We stayed at Teddy's for 7 nights in July 2011 and we are already planning our return! Fantastic place where you can kick of your shoes and and relax! Yes there is sand everywhere but it should not put you off from going to Teddy's! We actually loved it! Excellent vibe, stunning beach and best Mojitos I've ever had!!! Staff are very helpful and will help you where they can. And be sure not to miss the weekly party- it's crazy! Perfect combination of relaxation and party vibe!

Cannot wait to go back!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
saint jean trolimon
Reviewed August 29, 2011

The place is very nice and so close to the beautiful white sandy beach. the employees are very funny and always helpful.
The breakfast is perfect to start a big day.
The food is very good (in fact the best among paje's hotels) and quite cheap.
What else??? Don't go over there if you don't like to have sand between your toes... perfect for : backpakers, kiteboarders and more

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple