My friend and I read the reviews of Kilima Kidogo here on TripAdvisor and decided to give the place a try. We were impressed with the genuineness of peoples' comments in what is a very competitive accommodation market on Zanzibar.
Kilima Kidogo lived up to its reputation and more. It is the perfect spot for a relaxing beach holiday in a gorgeous setting. The rooms are beautiful and spotless. The "Zanzibar beds" are enormous and so comfy. The food is marvelous and lovingly prepared. The breakfasts are generous and delicious. The setting is sublime. Paje Beach gets ho-hum reviews from Lonely Planet because the tide goes out once/day and you can't swim when its out. But what they don't say is that there are all sorts of tide pools to explore. Paje Beach also has a reputation of being crowded, which couldn't be further from the truth--at least the part where Kilima Kidogo is located. The beach itself is wonderful for both walking and swimming (when the tide is in), not to mention sunbathing and relaxing. The hotel itself has an on-site spa (which we didn't use, but it looked wonderful).
When you get tired of the beach, Kilima also offers all the Zanzibar tours for reasonable rates. We spent a great day on a spice tour in the morning and then touring Stone Town in the afternoon. Many of the other guests took part in diving, swimming with the dolphins or other activities. Everyone spoke very highly of the tours and the guides.
Another very welcoming thing about Kilima Kidogo is that you pay for the room at the beginning and pay for the food/drink at the end, in addition to dropping well-earned tips into the staff tip box. In between, the place is money-free, which makes it even more relaxing. You don't have to worry about having money/tips handy for every little thing. You don't need to bring your money or purse to the beach or the bar. You can sit back, relax and enjoy the beautiful setting and the warmth of hosts Dina and Mark.
I'll end with one example of Kilima Kidogo's ethos of hospitality. My friend and I had to catch the 7 a.m ferry to Dar es Salaam in order to make the bus to the next stage of our trip. Dina arranged transportation, then was up with us at 5:45 with a lovely breakfast and sent us on our way with a hug. It was hospitality above and beyond the call of duty. Anyone who stays at Kilima Kidogo is in for a treat!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kilima Kidogo Guesthouse is situated on the east coast of Zanzibar between the villages Paje and Jambiani. This mini boutique has great spirit, value and is situated right on the white beaches and great views of the crystal blue seas. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and Agoda so you can book your Kilima Kidogo Guesthouse reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kilima Kidogo Guesthouse Hotel Paje
- Kilima Kidogo Guesthouse Zanzibar Island/Paje