“Best vacation ever”

Ranked #1 of 17 Paje B&B and Inns
jönköping
“Best vacation ever”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

A bungalow hotel at the shore of the Indian Ocean, not very big , but the owners and staff do everything for you, Nice food , always decorated with flowers from the bushes in the garden, an extra afternoon-tea-cake when you come back from the shore or the reefes or just from sitting under a palm reading a book. You go to sleep, rocked by the sound of the waves rolling as the tides come and go. The sand on the shore is white, the sea is everything from dark grey to light blue and turquoise. It´s very relaxing , situated just some hundred meters from the ocean . You can also go (wind)surfing , if You like it that way! I recommend staying at Little Hill as it means in swahili. Lovely! Regards from Elisabeth Schulz Sweden

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Elisabeth S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Korean first
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Almost everything is perfect. The location, the amenities, the service...
Dina (the owner) is making everything possible to make you feel like home.
Good value for money- you pay pretty much for the food, but the quality is WORTH EVERY USD!!!
The beach is beautiful and free from "the beach boys" (google if you don't know this term...).
One advise for those unhappy about being offered services they didn't want- IF YOU DON'T WANT/DISLIKE SOMETHING, COMMUNICATE!
The only downside is that I was charged for wifi access without being informed that it was not for free...

Overall, a great experience!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Zanzibar
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Just returned from the most wonderful break at Kilima Kidogo with Dina and her KK team. The house is sublime, with every possible attention to detail from the amazing breakfast (freshly baked bread from Chef Mohammed) to the most glorious and enormous Zanzibarian beds. Utterly lush.

The beach with its talcum white powder and crystal clear waters makes for a stunning retreat.

Thank you Dina and the KK team. When can I come back, please !!
Elaine, London

Room Tip: the prices fluctuate depending on the season, but from what I saw, all the rooms were of equal stand...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Elaine R
Brazoria, Texas
Reviewed May 20, 2012

We had an awesome time at Kilima Kidogo. We had a beautiful room and bathroom. The atmosphere was great and relaxing. We ate meals right there and everything we ordered was delicous. There were 2 ladies running the place and they were very friendly and helpful. They made us feel very special. They were always asking how everything was and helped us plan activities like tours in the area. One of the ladies went with us when we went snorkeling. My daughters boyfriend was going to propose to her and they went out of their way to make it a very special time for the two of them. They fixed a little gazebo for them to have dinner but it started raining so they made another place for them. The area was quiet and we enjoyed the beautiful scenery. We enjoyed it not being very crowded and we were able to relax and just enjoy ourselves. I would recommend this place to anyone. They were getting ready to put a pool in. We enjoyed walking down the beach, fishing, snorkeling, oh and I forgot the body massage was fantastic. I hope that one of these days we are able to return to our little dream vacation spot!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank GAIL R
gmkilimakidogo, General Manager at Kilima Kidogo Guesthouse, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
Hi Gail,

Thank you so much for your lovely review. It really was a pleasure to have you and your family here. We send our love and warm wishes to Stacey and Larry.

We are looking forward to the wedding photo's

Take Care
Mwanza
Reviewed April 22, 2012

It's an excellent place to relax and chill out. Amazing location right by the beach, really friendly staff, excellent facilities and service.....but the food you get is something you will never forget....it's really amazing and we ended up taking photos of it as the presentation was that great and it's really reasonably priced as well. Even on a budget you can stay and eat there like a king or queen. The owner is a really nice lady who will go the extra mile to make you feel special and welcome and the local staff is great as well and they will cater to your every need. The place doesn't have a pool, but it really doesn't matter as the beach and see are just outside the guesthouse. Also, I can strongly recommend ordering a cocktail at the beach bar.....it'll put you in the right frame of mind for a great holiday by the beach.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Athens, Greece
Reviewed April 18, 2012

A great guest house. Very cool place with really nice service.
The lady who owns it is a great personality and ver y very helpful but I should appreciate if the manager who was also helpful to the guests , could be a bit "more cool and nice" with the employees of the place. They were locals,nice so I haven't felt good the 2-3 times I saw her to use a really strict and almost angry manner to behave them. Her Southafrican οριγιν and accent made things look worst... I know that to run a business isn't an easy thing , but...

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank anastassiosa
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed March 31, 2012

We have just returned from Tanzania and spent two nights at Kilima Kidogo Guesthouse. We had originally planned to spend three nights there but left after two. We did decide to go at one of the hottest and most humid times of the year, so that was our mistake, but there were several things which would have been very nice to know to better prepare us for our stay. First and foremost, there is no fresh water there. The story was told to us that the pipe broke two years ago, and the municipality is still waiting for the part. That means you shower, wash, and brush your teeth with salt water pumped from the sea into a tank and into your room. I was used to rinsing out some clothes everyday, but there was no point! So after a hot day at the beach, there was no way to wash the salt off your body. This was actually ok the first day but I was wanting to be salt free by day three. Also, there is only a cold water shower for obvious reasons. The only available drinking water is for purchase at the guesthouse and that got to be very expensive as it was priced at triple the going rate. Had we know, we would have purchased enough in the market to last us our stay. We were drinking several liters a day between the two of us and now we were using it to brush our teeth as well.
Secondly, the first night we were told not to walk down the beach as someone was robbing all the tourists. They even told us which house he was in, two down from ours, and that we should only walk at low tide since we can be out far away from the path. We were told he would jump out of the bushes with a knife and take everything. They said he had caused injury to several people and that the police were doing nothing about it. Needless to say, this put a big damper on our stay. I was reluctant to walk even at low tide and so we stayed around the guest house.
Thirdly, the electricity goes out for at least an hour a day every day. The guesthouse does not have a generator, so it was hot and humid in our room. I mean hot! The second day we were there, it was out almost all day. Finally, it went on in the afternoon but the first night, it went out at night so we woke up in a stifling room, since they advised us to close all the shutters when running the a/c. It took awhile to get out flashlights and organize opening windows, so our sleep was pretty terrible. We left after that second night, a day early, since we felt that the heat, combined with no fresh water and not feeling very safe were reasons enough to go to Stone Town earlier than planned.
It is true that the cost to and from the airport was $50.00 each way. The people working there were, for the most part, friendly. It is very beautiful, right on the beach but I would have been quite upset if I had paid the high season rates for staying there given the above mentioned problems.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank IslandLady219
gmkilimakidogo, Owner at Kilima Kidogo Guesthouse, responded to this review, May 17, 2012
Dear Cynthia and Rob,

Thank you for your review. We appreciate all feedback that our guests provide. In response to your review, we have the following comments
Indeed, you did choose to end your month long safari – a tiring journey by your own admittance – at our humble guesthouse. It is in fact NOT the hottest and most humid time of the year, so count your blessings that even though you did not do your homework, you chose this time of year to visit.
Indeed, in Africa and especially on a remote island, services are a very big issue, ones which cause much concern for both residents, business and clearly visitors alike. The pipe bringing fresh water to us is indeed still not connected by the Government, despite our continual follow up on the matter.
I am not sure why you comment on there only being a supply of cold water, each room has its own water heater and all are in perfect order. They are checked by our staff on a daily basis as clearly warm water and a dash of soap clears all the salt from the body – as we who live on the island and at the guesthouse know. If you had no change of clothing – I did notice you wearing the same blouse each day, we would gladly have done laundry for you – it is a service offered to guests - and even lent you something to wear whilst the laundry was being done
Water. Do you know that of all the water that surronds us, only 1% is drinkable. 3% of all the water surrounding us is fresh water. Of this 2% of this is glasiers. That leaves us with 1% drinkable water. I am fairly well travelled too. I remember about 20 years ago how shocked I was when I realised that most of the countries use bottled water. Now we even drink bottled water here in South Africa. Bottled water is not uncommon. On our recent visit to the UK a small bottle of 750ml costed us 1 Pound. a 1,5 lt water costed us more than 2 Pound. At Kilima Kidogo a bottle of 750ml costs ....... and a 1,5Lt water costs ....... In South Africa a 750ml water varies between R6 and R8. A 1,5 lt bottle of water costs any where between R10 and R16. All depending on the name brand.
By giving you these statistics, I just want to encourage people to look at their own surroundings and the reality of every day life.. If anybody find that place where there is no crime.... Please inform me first. I want to go there. When you drink water. Appreciate it.
Back to the bad posting. It needs to be mentioned that - after the robbery alert - these same people (I find it hard to refer to them as guests, because they were not) said that they feel like a Prince and Princess at KK. So much contradiction. I would describe them as people who do not know what to do with anything that is good. They were out of place all the time. Stubborn was a word that popped in my mind when I looked at the man. Know it all kind of guy. Tired after a month safari. Killing time until their flight back to America. Unfortunately they stayed at KK for that killing. And kill they tried. Their beverages bill for the 2 night stay .... a mere Tzs12,000. Not even 5 usd.
We have scheduled power outages every day. For exactly one hour. Most of the guests does not even realise this as it is normally during dinner time. An intimate rustic guesthouse such as ours does not warrant a large capacity generator for simply an hour’s power disturbance. The noise levels and diesel required are prohibitive to run this type of generator, which will still only provide power to fans – not air-conditioners.
On a recent trip to the UK, we were informed while still travelling to the hotel that England is a safe country, but please we need to be aware of robberies and pick a pockets. ..... It is not uncommon to make people aware about safety measures when they visit a foreign country. It is more so important to make people aware that they should be alert at all times as we are still walking on a broken earth.

Yes, you are quite correct, we do warn our guests if there is a personal safety issue at the current time. Would you have preferred us not to warn you and let you be attacked if you walked on the beach after dark – It’s actually a very similar scenario to walking in strange areas in any country after dark. I did the google thing. I entered these guests home town in America in my search... and what do you know. The crime rate in their home town is much higher than in Zanzibar....
To our other viewers , Kilima Kidogo is a wonderful holiday destination. Not a 2 night stand, trying to kill time until the next flight. We need some happy, fun guests who have lots of good energy and who can appreciate our hospitality on a beautiful island that is rich in culture and history.
I would encourage clients to read all the other comments as well. 1% of negative publicity out of 100% is not bad. As I say. All of them 2 night stays.
My dream is that there be a Guest Advisor where we can screen our guests before they arrive. Wouldn't that be wonderful ?
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paje
DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi
#4 of 8 in Paje
Melia Zanzibar
Melia Zanzibar
#1 of 11 in Kiwengwa

Been to Kilima Kidogo Guesthouse? Share your experiences!