“Double charged me, very poor conditions”

Kitete Beach Bungalows
Ranked #16 of 20 Paje B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 25, 2012

First of all, my #1 advice is to pay with cash! They did not know how to use a card machine, and charged me then said it did not go through. I had to go to Stone Town (over an hours drive each way) to withdraw from the ATM. When I realized they charged my card as well I contacted them over 10 times (mostly phone call, but no one speaks english and kept hanging up, I finally sent them an email). They kept saying they would refund me but after 6 months I gave up. Being that it is in Zanzibar and I am from the U.S. my credit card company would not dispute it for me.

Compared to other reviews I definitely overpaid - I went in December 2011 and paid $65 US/111k shillings per night. We stayed here as a couple, so there were two of us. We only stayed at Kitete because a local tour guide recommended it (because the hotel paid him for suggesting it) and said it was right on the beach.

As with all the other reviews - this place is very bare minimum. The windows in the rooms do not shut properly so you have minimal privacy. We found a large cockroach in our bed the last night. There is no staff present; when we arrived we had to wait 20-30 minutes for the front desk lady as she was sleeping. For two people we were given one towel over our 4 day stay, and had to ask for another after 2 days. The restaurant is extremely slow; we waited over an hour for an omelet and the second time we only ordered one sandwich to share (both times we were the only ones there). The sandwich was very soggy, with hardly any meat on it. They also do not keep very many basic things, such as soda and water. I suggest eating at Paje by Night - they have a large menu, very good cocktail list, music, friendly staff and its a great way to meet other travelers.

The beach is absolutely beautiful though - white sand and turquoise water. It was amazingly beautiful.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 14, 2012

the location is direct on the beach and this was the reason we want to book there. we did not know that:
-spaced room are run down and not sufficientely clean
- our double room has a leak in the wc causing a lot of noise, the sink tap was broken, the shower hold as well, but they don't care to fix it
- managment does not exist, (it's run by local, this it would be any bad if they would take serious their responsabilty od hotel tennants)if you have something to complains for there is none who want to solve your problem
- breakfast is less than poor. every day the same choice (2eggs, 2 toast, spoon of margarine, spoon of the worst ever jam, 50gr of mixed fruit), expecially if you are a kiter there is no chance it satisfied. it's more like a lossweight clinic breakfast.
- restaurant they served a good quality food, expecially fish at night, but the waiting time if there is ONLY 2 guest before you, it's at least 1 hour. they are not organized at all. they cook the first order and only after they serve the food they start to take care of the secon order and so on.
- the 50 usd for the double is not worth it, but in paje and zanzibar the price are quite high and do not correspond at what you get normally in other countriesj
- expecially for the staff I would not reccomend this place at all, execpt if you are spending max 1/2 nights

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank stefania c
Reviewed January 1, 2012

This wasn't really where I'd wanted to be but I'd left it too late to book and because it was New Years it was all that was left. On the plus side, they held a room for me without a deposit, responded to my emails quickly and the room was only $30 which is a bargain over New Year.
I was booked into the "old" building which was I guess the original accomodation before they built some slighly more upmarket rooms next door. The room was very average, with a musty smell and corroded fittings in the bathroom (cold water only).
In front of the "Old" kitete are beach chairs reserved for guests only from Paje by Night which is directly behind Kitete. Chairs for Kitete are in front of the New Kitete and to my suprise there were only 8 beach chairs and three shade umbrellas for a total of about 15 rooms. Not nearly enough. The first day I missed out and the second and third days I was there at 8am to make sure I got a chair. The food from the restaurant was simple and nice but as mentioned in a previous review, they frequently run out of sodas and beers.
The other thing about Paje is that it is a Kite surfers beach and Kitete is right in the middle of the kite surfing hub. At times it was scary to be in the water because of the fast moving kite surfing and most people, when they were not kite surfing were talking about kite-surfing. A bit boring if you're not into it as I'm not. As mentioned in previous reviews, Paje by Night is a good place to hang out although their New year's dinner was dissapointing.

Room Tip: If you are in the old kitete, ask for a front facing room as they have a sea breeze
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank jlw1810
Reviewed June 20, 2011

We stayed here for a week at the beginning of "the season". The rooms are good - clean and spacious, big beds with fans in the room and a couch, mosquito nets, and very small balconies with a view of the beach (one chair only!). Sadly showers were either scalding or cold. Breakfast was small but good - fruit platter, egg and toast, tea/coffee and a juice.

The restaurant had only 3 meals on offer (same every day, but very tasty), and they ran out of all soft drinks and bottled water by the third day, then kept telling us it would be restocked "very soon", but never was. We were guaranteed that we could pay by credit card, but the machine was never working so we had to pay cash when we got back to Stone Town. The internet was only accessible via ethernet, and only worked occasionally. The shower leaked hugely all over the bathroom floor, and when we reported it, we were given a mop.

We had a good time in Paje, but considering the service and quality evident at the neighbouring hotels on Paje Beach, I would probably stay somewhere else next time.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DukeandDuchessofyork
Reviewed April 29, 2011

Staff lied to us saying other restaurants / hotels were closed so we would eat / stay here.. Found out after was not the case. Overall found staff very unhelpful and unfriendly

• Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank Bobloblaww
Reviewed August 28, 2010

I was shown a room and I agreed in taking it , when the taxi drove away the manager told me that the room shown was not available and gave me another one close to the noisy pump. I did not appreciate.
You get only one towel, but the room was clean. Breakfast: ok
I went to Paje by Night to have lunch or dinner.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank 007penelope
Reviewed July 6, 2009

The bungalows are beachside with incredible views. Rooms are clean with mosquito netting. The hotel is next to Paje by Night which has great pizzas and pasta (although service is a bit slow), as well as free internet connection.

The service, however, leaves room to be desired. There were seven of us and we requested one triple and two doubles. Management made a mistake of renting out one of the doubles and wanted to charge us for two triples and one double. Given our backpacker status, we argued over the mistake for over an hour before management relented unhappily. Then, upon checkout, a bunch of restaurant checks not from us appeared in our bill which management declared we must pay.

Rooms are worth the stay though. Just be more cognizent of your bill is all.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paje
Kisiwa On The Beach Resort
0 mi away
Arabian Nights Suites
Arabian Nights Suites
#11 of 20 in Paje

Been to Kitete Beach Bungalows? Share your experiences!