“a little hidden gem with that personal touch”
Review of Echo Beach Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bwejuu
Echo Beach Hotel
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Bwejuu
Reviewed February 12, 2010

After having checked in at Ras Michamvi we directly knew that this was not our cup of tea. We hired the same day some bicycles and we went searching for a better place to stay.
And we found it !
We think that Echo Beach is a little hidde gem and excactly what we are looking for.
Charming bungalows and a pool, a long and white beach, super food. Very nice and clean separate bungalows who are very nice decorated in Shahili style.
The personal attention from Sue and Mel is making the difference between good and super because you feel welcome immediately.

When I want to go on my own for a week of sun this would be my place.
I hope I can make that dive than with Mel. By the way the snorkling trip was super and the massage wonderful.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 12, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at the hotel for 3 nights at the end of our 2 week holiday. We were very pleasently surprised. The location of the hotel was great especially if you want to relax and get away from it all. It is only about a 10 minute up the beach to Beaches which we had thought about staying. We did look around but were very pleased when we choose Echo Beach instead. Mainly because of the food reviews. The food did not dissapoint. Breakfast was fantastic. A wide range of fruit was provided and fresh juice followed by your choice of cooked breakfast. For lunch there was a wide range to choose from and there was a great choice of fresh fish which the fisherman had just bought in. Dinner was fantastic. We had the nicest food that we had our whole time in Tanzania. Lobster being the tastiest I have ever had. The food was never boring.

The great thing about Echo Beach also was that they kept their generator on all throughout the night so the air conditioning did not go off so we had a great night sleep unlike other hotels.

The only downside was the shower. It looked very powerful but once on it was more of a trickle but oh well who needs a shower when you have the sea!

We found the staff to be very friendly too. The nicest we found throughout our holiday

The setting is stunning!!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 6, 2010

We stayed for 5 nights. Reading the recent reviews maybe it has picked up - but we were a little underwhelmed. We stayed in a few places in Zanzibar and this was far from our favorite.

On the positive side, when the tide is in the beach is lovely, the rooms are fine and there are nice verandas to lie on. The pool is generally clean and well kept.

On the negative side, the staff were not very helpful or friendly, this was especially evident when the owners weren't there. The food was a long way from gormet. The shower water is heavily salinated so you never really feel clean. We felt insecure at night. Overall - it just seemed a bit disorganised - there didn't really seem to be anyone properly in charge or managing the organisation or staff. There is no way this place is 5 star, I would say 3 star at best and expensive for what it was.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DLTW
Reviewed January 16, 2010

This hotel was WAY oversold by the travel agent I used to book our stay. I was expecting 5 star luxe - it was not close to 5 star.

I can say, Murray, Mel and Sue were VERY nice people and really went out of their way to try and rectify several issues we encountered. However, I felt the price we paid for the lodging was too much given the feedback below:

Pros: pool available, nice beach, all the staff were friendly

Cons: salt water showers, poor cleanliness, over priced, not well maintained, the food was good but not outstanding, overpriced adult beverages

I had never been to Zanzibar before - perhaps my expectations were too high to begin with.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank crapipa
Reviewed January 16, 2010

We stayed at Echo Beach for 8 nights after a 12 night safari, we requested our tour operator to find us place that was relaxing and of good quality. This place was perfect large airy rooms overlooking the pool and out onto the pristine beach. New Years eve was one of the best I have spent in years, I agree with some of the other comments this is not five star, no wide screen TVs or buffet meals left out for hours no this is personal, this has that extra touch of class that makes it special. I have read some of the other not so good ratings and think that they must have gone somewhere else. Murrray is one of the kindest and most caring people I have ever come across as was Mel, if they look tired its due to the fact that they do not go to bed until all of the clients turn in and that is however late you wish to stay up. Sue and Andrew run this Hotel with great care and attention, the food is superb breakfast was brillant and I know that had you asked for anything that was not on the menu it would have been there the next day. All of the time we were there the island had no electric but the generator at the hotel was running and we had electricity apart from a few hours in the middle of the day. Yes the water is a little salty but this made little difference and I too have long hair. Top rate staff attention to detail and perfect location make this a wonderful place to stay, if you long for a piece of paradise with a personal touch this is the place to go.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 13, 2010

My wife and I stayed at Echo Beach for 6 nights in November 2009, prior to a further 6 night stay at Ras Nungwi. We weren't quite sure what to expect from Zanzibar, although I highly recommend Zanzibar Travel as an excellent starting point.

Echo Beach is for relaxing, and has a beautiful setting. We chose one of the upper storied rooms which had a marvellous view over the resort and the sea, as well as an amazingly spacious terrace. Comments in an earlier review mention paying £ 400 per night - possibly at high season (?), but we certainly paid far less.

As for food, whilst Andrew may have given up his constant slaving over a hot stove, we still found the food to be excellent and varied. Breakfast was possibly predictable, but always good. A recent report seemingly complained that "Murray spent a great deal of time drinking smoking and reading a book". Good for you Murray - he was also the guy who took my wife and myself into the local "clinic" in search of some medicine (another story) - and was also a very companiable guy during the admittedly quiet evenings - as was Lucy.

The hotel is not 4 star insofar as facilities go, but I have stayed at far worse hotels claiming to be 4 star; we had an ongoing problem of towel collection which became a running joke with Murray et al, but was easily solved after discussions with the local staff! The sewage pipes can also back up, but just remind yourself you are in Africa, and read up on Zanzibar's history.....

No doubt, Echo Beach is quiet, and a walk along the beach in both directions suggested that the recession was impacting on other hotels much more than Echo Beach - great! Failed to find the snorkeling spot recommended by Zanzibar Travel "within 5 minutes", but never mind.

I suggest visitors ignore the dire warnings about hiring a car - we did and had no problems, other than one police checkpoint which tried to suggest that smoking behind the wheel was an offence! (And no, money did not exchange hands and we were allowed to go). Echo Beach arranged the hire and it was admittedly somewhat ad hoc - no requests for licence, insurance questions etc, so it's up to you how you handle this.

We didn't drive into or near Stonetown, and probably wouldn't recommend this, but elsewhere there is very little traffic, and the main roads are surprisingly good.

Probably wouldn't return in a hurry to Zanzibar, but if we did, Echo Beach would be a first choice. Cheers to Andrew & Sue (who was in England), Murray and all the staff, from Lee & Barry.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 12, 2010

I decided this year to run away from the hustle and bustle of Christmas and so spent a fantastic week at Echo Beach Hotel.

I have spent a lot of time in Zanzibar over the years and wanted to try the East Coast to get away from the heat and stickiness of Stone Town and the busy night life in the North and Echo Beach was just the ticket.

As soon as I arrived, I knew I had found paradise! A large, open plan dining / bar area overlooks a sparkling blue freshwater pool and a pristine white beach with turquoise sea behind.

Welcomed with a freshly squeezed fruit juice, I was made to feel at home immediately and was delighted when I was shown the beach cottage - a beautiful huge bedroom with a king size Zanzibari bed and a cupboard made from an old Zanzibari door with double doors opening on to my own little stretch of the beach. (For families/groups of friends, it also has an adjoining room with en-suite bathroom). Even though the hotel was fully booked (it has 12 rooms), I did not once struggle to get a good spot on the beach or by the pool.

If you are looking for a big resort, this is definitely not the place to stay, but at a big resort you could not possibly expect the attention to detail, personal service and 'homely' feeling that you get at Echo Beach.

Nothing is too much trouble! From dinner on your terrace over- looking the sea, to arranging excursions and giving advice on things to do, the staff at Echo Beach are all fantastic!

The food is absolutely divine! With a different menu to choose from every evening, you have every opportunity to sample local dishes as well as to dine in style and every meal is something to look forward to!

I am so glad I found this little gem and can't wait to get back there again!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bwejuu
1 mi away
Essque Zalu Zanzibar
Essque Zalu Zanzibar
#5 of 19 in Nungwi
Breezes Beach Club & Spa, Zanzibar
Zanzibar White Sand Luxury Villas & Spa (Relais & Chateaux)

Been to Echo Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!