“Best time in Zanzibar”

Ranked #3 of 13 Bwejuu B&B and Inns
Arusha, Tanzania
“Best time in Zanzibar”
Reviewed March 10, 2014

My time at Mustapha's Place after 2 months of intense work was amazing. Me and my friend got to rest and eat good food. We initially planned on staying 3 nights, which we did, then went to another hotel further south and came back because we liked it too much. The place is always kind of quiet with some nice music. The beach 2 mins walking from the hotel is desert and beautiful, but if you want more blue beach and more sand space you can walk 20 min to Paje. The place was a bit hard to find initially, but after asking around it went all fine. The food might be a bit expensive for some of the meals but it is delicious, so I guess it is all worth it. Their avocado juice and all the other ones are DELICIOUS, and their breakfast are amazing. You can almost ask whatever you want and they adapt to what you can eat or not. Everyone is always smiling and ready to help. The place is constantly clean and the garden are very nicely taken care of. I love this place and I am going back this summer.

Room Tip: The shared rooms are clean and very nicely taken care of. If you can get the private rooms with a ha...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Clementina S

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Chilling. Real vibe , feel and price! Excellent Food. Magical Place because of staff. Pole pole ( slowly slowly ) :). Very we'll travelled and if your looking for that hammock to unwind and slow down and everything is no worries then this is the place. Go with right attitude and all's chilling .

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Dan G
Cumbria, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 11, 2014

I was a bit anxious going to Zanzibar as this was the only part of my trip I was flying solo. But I had nothing to worry about!
From the main road the hotel is a little tricky to find, my driver had to jump out a few times and ask locals but I got there in the end. Mustapha's Place is simply beautiful; I could have easily spent days just relaxing around the gardens with freshly pressed juice by the bar staff. Every evening there's a campfire where guests and staff gather, I didn't once feel lonely and there's such a chilled, relaxed atmosphere that's often accompanied by some Reggae music in the background.
The food available was so delicious and I was introduced to some interesting new things such as the zingy Zanzibar Apples! When I ordered my first meal I initially thought it was a little pricey compared to what I'd been paying on the mainland, but considering this is a tourist area, the quality of food and the generous portions I'd happily have paid more. The menu is mostly seafood, and although I've never been a huge fan, each meal was more delicious than the last with freshly caught produce (the jumbo prawns are definitely my recommendation).
The staff, and other locals I met, were very welcoming, friendly and happy to help with anything.
I had the treetop room which is a quaint room with a fantastically weaved roof, the bed was comfortable with mosquito net and in the heat the night breeze was so pleasant at night, a fan was provided but I didn't need it. I used a shared bathroom which was large, decorated with seashells and always clean.
The beach is down a short path and when I first ventured there I was in awe of the beauty! It was a fabulous trip, a wonderful stay, I'd highly recommend Mustapha's Place and I'd happily return there for a longer trip.
Asante Sana!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank jojobe84
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Found Mustapha's Place while out looking for an afternoon coffee. Their Zanzibar spiced coffee is delicious and I was pleased to discover their food is great too. Came here three nights in a row during my stay - including for their Christmas seafood buffet. The staff is very friendly, the vibe relaxed and laid back. They didn't have the correct change for my coffee so I told them I'd be back for dinner and they said 'sure, pay us then'. Travelling alone and although I was not staying there, the staff was welcoming, engaging and genuinely interested in ensuring their guests had a nice time. Really glad I stopped in that afternoon.
Note this review is more for their food than their rooms as I did not stay here - but the food was good enough for me to leave my place, which had its own restaurant, to come to each night.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank ParksideMac
Spain
Reviewed November 22, 2013

Rooms are basic but convenient. I got a good price for a single room in low season (20$). The hotel is very close to the beach (1 minute walking) and it is a good place to relax and meet other travellers if you are alone. Breakfast is ok, and the restaurant also offer meals for lunch and dinner, however the restaurant it is expensive for what they give. Staff is very friendly and they create a warm atmosphere. Good reggae music is played during all day.

The hotel is located in Bwejuu and we used to go to Paje because the beach is nicer there, so we rented a bike and rode during 5 minutes to reach Paje. If this is unconvinient for you, you should consider to stay in Paje. Regarding the tides, it's true you can't swim anytime you want but it happens in the whole east of Zanzibar.

Anywhere you stay I totally reccomend to do snorkling in the "blue lagoon", it is as nice as Mnemba and less than half price.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 2, 2013

If you're looking for somewhere to relax, Mustapha's Place is THE best!
The staff are lovely, the room and bathroom was clean, with a good mosquito net over the bed. There was a fire every night, and board games there, and the beach was just across the road, where you could see amazing stars!
The 3 nights that we were there, we just stayed at the hotel in the evenings, there was no need to go anywhere else for us, the food was amazing there, and there was a bar. Other guests that were there did go out to other places, which weren't far away.
The closest hotels were over a 5 minute walk down the beach, so the place isn't packed with other tourists, even in the daytime.
If you go to Zanzibar, make time to stay at Mustapha's Place!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ailsa S
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I stayed at Mustapha's place in late June with four friends and we absolutely loved it. Mustapha's isn't located on the beach (which is only 1 minute away), but this doesn't matter as the owner has gone to great lengths to make the guest house a perfect place to hang out and relax. The attention to detail is amazing. Everywhere you look you see beautiful pieces of art, shells, weaved baskets etc. There are comfy hammocks to relax on as well as a large futon. The rooms are clean, and spacious. Every morning they serve a delicious breakfast of eggs, roti, fresh fruit, and fresh juice. Mustapha and his staff are lovely and very helpful. I will definitely be back to Mustapha's one day.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Tessaclaire
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bwejuu
Evergreen Bungalows
#1 of 10 in Bwejuu
Demani Lodge
Demani Lodge
#2 of 23 in Paje

Been to Mustapha's Place? Share your experiences!