“Long-Awaited Honeymoon”

Baraza Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Bwejuu
Reviewed June 18, 2014

We have spent several months searching ideal location for our honeymoon. Zanzibar and Baraza turned out to be our choice due to its exoticism, location, recommendations, quality and value. Almost everything about this resort was perfect or almost perfect.

Baraza organized very efficient transfer from the airport upon our arrival. After one hour drive we were warmly welcomed by the cold towels and drinks at the lobby, which looked absolutely impressive. Our villa host Nash greeted us and made a quick tour around the resort finishing at our Ocean View Villa.

The interiors of the villa and common areas were absolutely stunning. Everything starting from towels and ending to staff's uniforms were perfectly clean. The resort's landscape was amazing with so many wonderful palms and beautiful gardens.

The pool area was very well maintained as well as the beach where each villa (or almost all of the villas) has reserved sun loungers. The ocean in the beginning of June was warm enough, however not very clean because of some garbage and seaweed.

Service was very attentive and unobtrusive, very often with personal touch. Food was delicious even when we asked for some diet simple meal as steamed rice and chicken. The Beach Menu options with paninis and burgers were to die for, as well as the desserts.

However, despite all the brilliance, there are still a couple of minor things to be improved:
1. the beach is well cleaned by the staff, but when in comes to low-tide plenty of garbage could be found in the ocean. I think the resort may do this extra to clean the sand during low tides, cause plastic bags, bottles etc don't look attractive to the guests making the walks to the reef;
2. one of the biggest problems of the resort is very slow wi-fi connection. It was almost impossible to use Internet sometimes, the connection broke up too often, downloading a movie was a huge issue;
3. Frangipani SPA is very good with two masseuses from Thailand doing their primary job wonderful. However, apart from massages they handled all body treatments, manicures etc. My wide tried manicure and was far from good. Obviously, the resort may afford to increase the number of SPA staff;
4. There is shisha in the resort's bar, but nobody at the hotel can make it properly. They need either to find professional who would train them to make it right or not to offer it at all.

Despite these small cons we would definitely recommend Baraza to everyone. They doesn't make the rating Very Good, it is still Excellent, but if the management handles the described issues properly the resort would be absolutely exceptional.

Special thanks go to Nash, Lucy, Raza and Kalei who did their best to treat us.

A couple of words about the mosquitos, since many people worry about them: there were some in June, but it was not a huge problem. We have got some 4 or 5 bites during 7 nights stay only.

1  Thank from_moscow
There are newer reviews for Baraza Resort & Spa

Reviewed June 12, 2014

The Baraza Resort and Spa was the best choice we ever made for our honeymoon. The very picturesque marketing is modest at the very least. The architecture, interiors and layout of the resort is made for luxury. We spent a good seven days there and absolutely enjoyed every moment of our stay. The service was exemplary. The accommodation, perfect. We couldn't get enough of it. Before we arrived we had determined to take on a few tours and cruises in and around zanzibar but the moment we got to the hotel we decided to not bother.. Baraza will keep you in a daze of being spoiled over and over. Their Frangipani spa is second to none. We were there all the time. There's so much to say and so little time. I want to however give special thanks to Kalei and Jemimah who looked after us for the duration of our stay and made it all that extra special. BEST HONEYMOON EVER!

1  Thank AlexKaruriNdubai
Reviewed June 9, 2014

We were lucky enough to spend 5 nights at Baraza in early June. Everything from check in through to a very sad check out was exceptional.

Although the accommodation, surroundings, food, drinks, facilities & spa were all excellent the outstanding feature of this hotel are the genuinely friendly & attentive staff.

I enjoy exploring different locations each time I travel but I will definitely be back to Baraza.

1  Thank westy6912
Reviewed May 30, 2014

We were lucky enough to enjoy a dinner here one night during our stay at Breezes Zanzibar (a sister resort). Baraza was absolutely beautiful! It made me feel like I was transported somewhere in Turkey or Egypt.

The dining room was gorgeous and the food was delicious. I would definitely recommend this resort based on just one dinner. It seemed like the perfect destination for anyone but specifically honeymooners.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sabine A
Reviewed May 30, 2014

we stayed at the Baraza for three nights last weekend. The hotel is fantastic with excellent facilities and I have never stayed anywhere as clean and bright before.
The Staff are exceptional and could not help us enough. As it is low season at the moment we were only twelve people on the first night, six people on the second night and just us two on the last night.
Our villa over looked the indian ocean and we had our own plunge pool. We even had a day bed outside with pillows!
The food is to die for as it is so professionally cooked and presented. There were may dishes and types of fish that i have never tried before.
We both fully recommend this hotel and would love to visit again one day.

Room Tip: If possible choose a room with a view over the sea.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank annecockle
Reviewed May 27, 2014

We stayed for 7 nights following a safari in Kenya, staying in a garden villa as part of our honeymoon.

I have to say, this is the best hotel I have ever stayed in. It is in beautiful grounds, all perfectly maintained. The buildings are all perfectly white and beautiful. The hotel is spread over a large area and has an extremely restful and quiet feel.

Everyone seemed to be on an all inclusive type arrangement. This normally means evening buffet dinners all the time, but most nights there was an a la carte type menu with about 3 choices for each course. Always something very nice to eat. The other nights there was a themed buffet, which were excellent. Certainly very varied food, and one buffet was nothing like the other. The wine on the all inclusive option changed all the time too, from exotic places such as australia!!

Lunch and breakfast were always buffet style, but were very good. There was always a couple of stations going with a chef cooking there in front of you.

The only thing that went wrong while we were there was a chef chef that cooked me a chicken pasta dish for lunch, did not cook the chicken through... I guess this could have been a serious issue, but I thought as I watched him do it he did not cook it long enough. As I sat down at the table I checked it, sure enough it was not cooked. The chap in charge of the lunch service spotted that I just left it and took it away. I never said a word, but he came back and apologized profusely. He had obviously checked it out back and I heard serious words exchanged with the chefs. No harm done, although I guess I might not be saying that had I been poisoned!!

The villa itself was stunning...and huge (bigger than a lot of peoples houses!!!) with a lovely comfy bed. We did want to have a beach front villa. Unfortunately they were all booked, but in the end don’t think we missed out on much. My wife and I are diet coke addicts, and there were none in the mini bar to start with. One phone call and drinks were all changed to diet without a moments hesitation.

We had a free massage as part of our honeymoon package. I am not a fan but my loved it and thought the spa was beautiful (best spa she had ever been to)

The swimming pool was brilliant, nice and large and clean. It never felt busy, probably because the hotel just does not have that many guests at any one time. Similarly, sitting on the beach front. The nearest other guests to you would be 10 -15 meters away.

All in all, an amazing place. I guess you get what you pay for, as it most certainly is not a cheap place.. I only wish all my holidays were like this (minus the uncooked chicken!!!)

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank brit180
Reviewed May 15, 2014

This review is late but better than never. We stayed at Baraza for two nights as part of a wedding party where majority of the wedding guests were staying. The spillover was catered for at two neighboring hotels within beach walking distance. The hotel is part of the Palacina group in Nairobi, they have stores online and the hotel was a living catalogue of the amazing furniture and accessories they offer.

The drive is exactly one hour from the airport across the island to Bwejuu Beach. Upon arrival, you are immersed in the most amazing architecture and traditional to the region furnishings and a wonderful and warm welcome by the team. The property is well spread out so the rooms are not too near the common areas which was convenient for the guests who didn't stay up and party the whole night. We were in a two bedroom suite, in the smaller room with twin beds which was large enough. The beds were quite comfortable and the en suite bathroom had plenty of space and the most amazing finishing. My one problem though BUT this was unique to the event was that the lighting was quite low and ambient, which on any other occasion would be fantastic but when you're glamming up for evening events was a bit of a challenge! Each suite also has a private plunge pool and patio with sunbeds with beautiful hedges giving maximum privacy but you still got the warm sea breeze surrounding you.

The food, was AMAZING to say the least. They settings were varied every meal so we experienced all of the property options for meals. In most on the Kenyan coast, it has been challenging to find seafood as part of the buffet but here in Zanzibar, it was the opposite. Chicken and beef had to be looked for while we had so many seafood options and my word, I ate so many prawns cooked with the most inspired sauces and....now I'm drooling. We even had sushi! The food was fresh and faultless.

The beach is stunning and smooth cream colored sand. They have beach beds set up all along the front with shades and all very attentive staff on hand to bring yet another glass of champagne. The pool is large lap pool and deep with the most amazing dark blue tiles. We used the other pool while the main one was closed so that they could build a glass walkway over the water for the wedding.

We did visit the spa due but just for a very simple manicure and to check out some of place. It is set a further back from the beach but it is another unique and relaxing place to unwind. The pool here is in the middle of the courtyard and a gazebo at the end which we took advantage of and had a wee nap after swimming. The spa girls were the most lovely and charming ladies you will ever meet who went out of their way to make the experience enjoyable.

For the wedding, the team went out of their way and beyond to make the weekend special for the couple and their guests. "No" was never in their vocabulary for all our requests and the chef went out of their way to accommodate a vegan (why?) friend of ours.

All in all, a truly amazing resort, absolutely first class and it has set the bar for what I would expect for a beach holiday. It was expensive but absolutely worth every euro.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Kenyan_Connoisseur
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bwejuu
Zanzi Resort
The Residence Zanzibar
The Residence Zanzibar
#1 of 5 in Kizimkazi
Zawadi Hotel Zanzibar
Zanzibar White Sand Luxury Villas & Spa (Relais & Chateaux)

Been to Baraza Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!