“Great place to vacation!”
Review of Melia Zanzibar

Melia Zanzibar
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Kiwengwa
Reviewed June 12, 2014

I was at the Melia with my partner for the weekend. Though the hotel is really far from the town, I really enjoyed the great service and attention. The staff were welcoming and courteous and the food was very good. Great place to go to for some peace and quiet away from the hustle and bustle of our everyday lives. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to enjoy the serenity it offers. Great place to be!

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room not too to the eating are as there is a live band in the evenings.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Alessandra N, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Zanzibar, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2014

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for having chosen Melia Zanzibar to spend a weekend in Unguja Island, as well as for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor.

We are really glad to know that you enjoyed your experience in our Resort, a relaxing and peaceful oasis in the heart of Kiwengwa.

We truly appreciate your kind comments about the hotel, the quality of the food, the service and our staff professionalism; be assured that I will share them with the entire team.

Thank you for considering Melia Zanzibar a great place to be, hoping to welcome you back to let you live another memorable experience in Melia Zanzibar…

Best regards,
Alessandra Nana
Guest Experience Manager

Reviewed June 6, 2014

For my whole trip this was the hotel I was excited about and it was such a let down.
When we arrived they had no record of our booking. Although I cant be sure if this was the hotels fault or the travel company we booked through it was just a bad start to the trip.
The manager told us to go have lunch in the restaurant and they would sort it out so we did however later on we realised that our 'all inclusive' package only starts from 3pm so lunch on that day wasnt included so luckily when we checked out my sister made sure they didnt charge us for that.
They showed us to our room (we had 2 but 1 wasnt ready just yet) which was on the far side of the resort. Immediately when we walked in they smelled of mould. We turned the air con on and decided to go to the pool and have some drinks. They said they would bring the key for the other room out to us. Well they never did. They left that key sitting on the ground out the front of the room (which we didnt know because no one told us that or which room number the 2nd room was).
Dinner was Arabic BBQ night and I think I could've eaten the chicken skewers forever. They were delicious. But there were some strange stray cats wandering around the dining area as it is open to the outside and it was very unhygienic. A few people made comments but the cats stayed.
The restaurant manager came over to our table and made sure we had enough drinks and food so that was nice .
Our room still smelled of damp mould and when we got back we realised the air con and the exhaust fan were broken. We had washed all our clothes in the sink because the price of laundry was ridiculously priced (and honestly I dont mind paying for things but at an all inclusive resort you shouldnt be charged $10 to wash a pair of pants) and nothing was even slightly dry because of that.
In the morning we called the front desk and they said they would send someone to fix it so we went to breakfast.
That was delicious. The fresh cooked pancakes and waffles were excellent and the choice of other foods was good. Lots of different fresh juices as well.
We went down to the private beach for the day and we walked instead of taking the golf cart. We got slightly lost as there was no sign post at an intersection but we made it.
That was lovely. The service was good, the day beds were comfy and the pizza at the cafe was just what I wanted.
When we got back to the room the air con was fixed but the exhaust fan was not. The room was still very smelly. Also they had cleaned our room, refilled our shampoo and soap and made the beds but they took all of our towels (even the clean ones) and gave us no new ones. I did not notice this until I was already in the shower so I had to use a soaking wet pool towel left over from the day before which they had 'kindly' folded and placed on the couch so now that was soaking wet and we couldnt sit there.
My sister called up and got us more towels but once they came we realised they also didnt give us any bottled water so she called back and they said they would send someone down and never did
We had dinner and drinks out on the pier which was lovely. Cocktails were very strong which is a good thing! But I did find it odd that I had cocktails at every restaurant/bar at the resort and they all seemed to taste completely different as if they had different recipes for the same cocktails.
Food was absolutely delicious. We had pre booked the dinner tapas but we also ordered different tapas to have as a starter.The tempura vegetables were amazing.
Staff were very attentive and nice.
Back at the room we called down again for water and they said they would be there soon. No water ever came.
Breakfast the next morning was the same as the first and just as delicious. The chef cooking the waffles and pancakes remembered me which is always a nice touch.

Overall the staff were very nice, chatty and welcoming but service wasn't their top priority.
I dislike very much how the hotel is run. You can't call it an all inclusive hotel when it isn't. Our package was called all inclusive and yet half the drink menu was unavailable to us because we didnt pay for the 'premium all inclusive' package. All inclusive should mean all inclusive. Also the drinks menu was strange because some cocktails on there couldnt be ordered for free by anyone. For example they had a Whiskey Sour that has to be paid for (and was about 15AUD) and they ingredients listed were: Whiskey, Sugar syrup and lime (or something like that) but the whiskey in it was on the 'free for anyone' menu so why shouldnt the cocktail be included? The other cocktails that were 'free' had sugar syrup in them so It seems ridiculous to me to charge for that.
If I went back to Zanzibar I would not stay here unless they changed their 'all inclusive' packages. ALL INCLUSIVE MEANS ALL INCLUSIVE!

Room Tip: Get one closer to the main area. I imagine these are used more and probably wont smell like mould
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Alessandra N, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Zanzibar, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your time on writing your review about your recent stay at Melia Zanzibar in June 2014.
It is a really pleasure for all the team hear that you appreciated our varied and rich breakfast buffet, the dinner at Spices Restaurant, the wood oven pizza at Gabi Beach, the tapas at Jetty restaurant and the kindness of all our staff.

On the other hand, we are very sorry to know your discontent regarding our All-inclusive options, since upon check-in we provided all the information concerning the All-inclusive packages, as well as the difference with the All-inclusive Premium.
According to the hotel policy, every outlets menu clearly specified the difference between All-inclusive and Premium package.

Let me express my personal apology for your concerns, especially related to the air conditioning and the towels; I can ensure that we always tried to do our best to satisfy your requests, in order to make your stay as comfortable as possible.

We have pointed out of all your feedbacks and be assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to prevent any future occurrences.

I hope that you will give us the opportunity to better assist you in the future.

Alessandra Nana
Guest Experience Manager

Reviewed May 22, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I spent 2 nights at the beautiful Melia hotel from 7th May and we both fell in love with the place.
What I loved most was how friendly and welcoming each and every staff was. They always had a smile on their face which was so nice to see.
Our first evening there, we had dinner and drinks at the jetty. The service was excellent, and food was tasty. Limited options on the menu but quite nice.
The cocktails were a bit disappointing but it didn't matter because there was a lot more to choose from.

We stayed in the Romance Pavilion and the room and view was spectacular. I loved waking up to the ocean in front of me.
Because we were honeymooners, the hotel had a bottle of champagne and a heart shaped piece of cake waiting for us in our room . It was a very unexpected surprise.

The cleaning staff was considerate and even came to ask if they cleaned our room the way we wanted.

The whole of next day we spent at Gabi beach - which is a 10 minute drive from the hotel.
We decided to pick one of the bandas that are only reserved for the guests staying in the villa and non villa guests have to pay $50 for one.
But again, lucky for us honeymooners, we didn't have to pay
The beach was clean and again, we received excellent service - the staff kept checking on us frequently.
We had an exquisite lunch that was specially prepared by chef Rudi for us upon request as my husband and I are big fans of spicy food.

We had a short but memorable stay and we are already planning our next trip to Melia.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Prinita P
Sophia O, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Zanzibar, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2014

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your preference in selecting our Meliá Hotel Zanzibar for your vacation, as well for taking the time to tell us about your recent experience.

It is truly a pleasure for us to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and you may rest assured that their comments have been forwarded to the various Departments of the Hotel and the staff, as it is due to their effort and dedication that we are able to accomplish our goal - the total satisfaction of our guests.

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again at your second home, the Meliá Hotel Zanzibar.

Reviewed May 15, 2014

My husband and I stayed seven nights here and everyday was wonderful. The surroundings are pure bliss - exactly what you'd expect from a tropical island holiday. I didn't even read my book that I diligently took daily to the pool - the seascape beyond the infinity pool is mesmerizingly spectacular and better than anything beyond my dreams of paradise. The only improvement could be with the mosquito nets - our net looked a bit home made and took a little away from the five star feel of the room.

Room Tip: The hotel is positioned so that every room has a view, so even our garden room had a view across the...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Sophia O, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Zanzibar, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2014

Reviewed May 6, 2014

Great Hotel, Food is excellent, Friendly staff, Big rooms, beautiful scenery, Nice beach and reefs, Security 24 hrs everywhere. You want to stay there! I rented a car from Zanzibar car rental and got there fairly easy.

Room Tip: Garden rooms in the first floor has an additional shower outside the room. Very nice!
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Miguel F
Sophia O, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Zanzibar, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2014

Reviewed May 1, 2014

Great holiday, friendly staff and all our dreams came true. We recommend this hotel to all, who want to relax in paradise, eat great food with big choice. We stayed in romantic ocean pavillon...local people ste very kind and friendly,

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International
1  Thank Lenka S
Sophia O, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Zanzibar, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2014

Reviewed May 1, 2014

The architecture, the ambiance, the style, the staff, the food, the rooms and the service, everything about this hotel is FABULOUS. The property is vast, the rooms well appointed and has a lovely jetty restaurant among other nice restaurants, an amphitheater, infinity pools among other attractive facilities and is on the sea front. The beach area is on one side of the property and you might want to take a golf cart to access it but once there, you will be glad you did; a private beach, beach volleyball and other sports, private cabanas, beach bar e.t.c.
I must mention how large their rooms are and the bathrooms as well and the outside shower is a must. We were on All Inclusive and I found that very helpful because the property is in a somehow secluded remote part of Zanzibar, there isn't much going on outside the hotel premises.
We enjoyed every bit of our stay and this hotel is a true 5 star with a touch of class.

Room Tip: Terrace rooms have great ocean views.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MsafiriTraveller

Guest Experience Coordinator

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kiwengwa
Dream of Zanzibar
DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi
The Residence Zanzibar
The Residence Zanzibar
#1 of 5 in Kizimkazi
Zanzibar White Sand Luxury Villas & Spa (Relais & Chateaux)

Been to Melia Zanzibar? Share your experiences!