If you want a relaxing break, this is definitely the place to go. We have just returned from a 7 night stay at the Melia. The hotel was quite luxurious. We were expecting to upgrade when we got there, but the basic room was so comfortable we didn't need to and we have no idea what they would do to improve the room, which was spacious, well decorated and furnished and had a fabulous bathroom, easily as big as the bedroom. The view was magical,looking across we'll tended gardens to a view of the Indian Ocean. We used the all inclusive package, which was perfectly adequate, usually there was plenty of choice in the buffet, pool bar and gabi beach. The pool was perfect with views down to the jetty bar, the beach which is a 2 km walk from the hotel ( there is a buggy service which we didn't have wait long for) is a lovely place to relax. You have to walk a long way to be able to swim at low tide, and need to watch out for sea urchins, but that all just added to the mix and was still lovely. Drinks and tapas at the jetty bar is a great place to watch the stars from in the evening. The staff were very attentive, Mary John looked after us well at the pool side, and the staff in the main restaurant were also very helpful and happy. We felt very safe, which didn't surprise us considering the number of security personnel around. The spa was great, except for one of their staff being on holiday so no waxing available!! The massages were lovely! The only down side was that being so far from stone town and banks made changing money difficult, we had dollars, but not small enough denominations to leave tips, and getting hold of Tanzanian shillings, again in small denominations was difficult. If you choose this hotel, book a night in stone town too to be able to see the island a little more, it's easy just to relax at the hotel, and miss put on a very interesting island. Trips out start early, not conducive to relaxation, but definitely a must. Loved it, so want to go back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Melia Hotel and Resort is the Zanzibar's leading international resort, situated on the north-east coast of the island. Melia Zanzibar is built on a 40 acre estate with a beautiful beach of pearlescent white sand lapped by warm ocean waters, 300 meters long, situated at the very end of the property to procure the perfect combination with nature. The resort is ringed by a natural coral reef, making bathing a relaxing and safe experience. The hotel is perfect destination for honeymoon or wedding vacations as well as meetings & incentives. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Agoda, Priceline, Odigeo, Hotwire, Travelocity and Jetsetter so you can book your Melia Zanzibar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Melia Zanzibar Hotel Kiwengwa
- Zamani Zanzibar Kempinski Kiwengwa
- Melia Zanzibar Zanzibar Island/Kiwengwa