Melia Zanzibar
$193
$85
Priceline
1,830 results
All reviewsgabi beachtapasjetty baroutdoor showeraqua restaurantspices restaurantall inclusive packagegolf cartjose antoniobuggy rideterrace roommain restaurantprivate beachhuge bathroomindian oceanspecial thanksour honeymoon
Reviewed December 27, 2011

This is a great piece of property, in a great location with a hard working staff that gives 110%. The location is spectacular and I'm glad I visited once to see it.

But don't expect to listen to the ocean on the reef, or enjoy the warm tropical breeze and wind down. Unfortunately the management inflicts their version of "fun" on their guests whether they like it or not, and by day it is incessant not-so-background music in every corner and by night it is over amplified disco or a band playing to an audience 20 feet away, but easily audible a half mile away. Either listen to their music, or lock yourself in your room where its not so loud.

So, if you want to hear datta-datta-datta; boom-boom; datta-datta until 1am, this is your kind of place, but not mine. I gave it an "average", because this is typical of resorts.

Room Tip: Pay extra for the ocean view. Get a room as far away from the pier or pool area as possible.
4  Thank G4gene
Jose_Carlos_Hidalgo, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Melia Zanzibar, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2012

Dear jetcaptain
Thank you for your recommendation and comments about our facilities and service, we appreciate very much specially when coming from a Senior reviewer like you.
I am very sorry if the music of the band did bother you. We attempt to have some night entertainment for our guests. Exclusively during dinner time, in order not to be intrusive with the resting times of our guests.
The resort is very quiet and calm but we also have other rooms that are even more tranquil, that would be probably more appropriated for you, if we had known we would have offered you to change. My apologies, hope to receive you again, we will ensure you receive a very quiet room.
Best regards

Reviewed December 20, 2011

The Melia Zanzibar was incredible. The grounds are quite expansive with many on site dining options, a jetty bar, several pools, and a private beach. The entire hotel was recently renovated and rebranded. So you get to enjoy the beautiful property and incredible service at very affordable price. They also offer an all inclusive deal which is well worth it as the food and drinks far surpass the usual all inclusive experience. Other properties in Zanzibar are much more communal and offer less privacy, but the Melia is like an escape to a private island. I cannot say enough good things about this hotel and highly recommend it.

2  Thank kris410

Dear Kris410
We are glad that you chose and recommend us. As you know in Melia Zanzibar we work very hard in providing the best service in the island, and keep offering a good relation value-price. When you want to return to your private island, do not hesitate and come our Jetty bar, and pools are waiting for you.

Reviewed December 6, 2011

I have stayed at Melia Zanzibar twice in a span of 3 months. The first time I went was in October 2011 when it just opened. I needed a break from the day-to-day chaos of life and knew there was no better place but Melia Zanzibar. The property is amazing and the service is phenomenal. It took less than 24 hours for all staff I was associating with to know me by my name. I was welcomed by all staff with a smile and was always given the best service when I needed any assistance.

The property in itself is so large and has so many different things to do that no area feels over populated. You are able to find space for yourself and can be comfortable. Gabi Beach is a spectacular luxury beach club that is definitely the place you want to be when the sun is setting (by the ocean with a cocktail). The restaurant options include, Spices, serving an array of international cuisine which was always tasteful; Aqua restaurant was my personal favorite, if you want to titillate your taste buds with amazing flavors this is the place to be. Offering an a la carte menu, Aqua has some great Mediterranean flavors. The jetty bar and lounge has snacks like tapas and some great sushi.

The pool (Wow!) is amazing. On a cliff … the view from the pool is the endless ocean and palm trees. This is where you can actually appreciate the sound of silence. The Jetty has an option of going into the ocean as well. The warm Indian Ocean is great!

After an amazing day relaxing outdoors the Anantara Spa is a great place to spend the evening before dinner. I recommend that you try out the Thai massage. Even though I was not able to grab one the first time I went to Melia, I made it a point to take some time out the second time to relax at the spa.

The rooms are amazing! I am going to start with the large bathroom that includes a tropical rain shower and an indoor shower. The terrace and ocean view from room is calming, giving you the true appreciation of nature.

I picked Melia so I can rest and relax. When you feel the need to get away from the chaos of daily routine, Melia is the place to be. It gives you the homely feeling with all the services needed.

If you need a break you should definitely go to Melia Zanzibar. I highly recommend it!

5  Thank Ayesha S
Jose_Carlos_Hidalgo, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Melia Zanzibar, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2012

Dear Ayesha S;

Thank you very much for your comments it is a pleasure for us to count with your confidence and loyalty to Melia and Melia Zanzibar. As you said we are very focused on the details, and our pool is breathtaking what we call a “Wow moment”

We are looking forward to receive you again, and we are sure it will be soon.

Regards from all the team

Reviewed December 5, 2011

Just returned back to Dar es Salaam after an amazing Business & Holiday trip to Zanzibar.
Stayed at MELIA HOTEL, An amazing, beautiful Hotel one can dream to go.
Was there for 4nights. I never received such care before in any Hotel I hv ever visited before.
The management is soo nice, was almost like a dream Home to me.
The beautiful beach GABI Beach that hosted a beautiful beach party. Never had such a blast.
I fell in love with Melia Hotel & GABI BEACH.
I miss everyone already & friends from MELIA.
I wont take too long buddies. See you in a few weeks again.

VIDA MAHIMBO.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
5  Thank Vida M

Dear Vida,
We celebrate to read your words. To us it is a great honour that you chose us for your well deserved get-aways from Dar es Salaam. We are very happy that you feel home because for us you are one more of the family of Melia Zanzibar. See you soon

Reviewed December 4, 2011

I stayed at Melia when they just opened in October 2011 and had a wonderful time. This is a truly 5-star property; the staff was extremely welcoming and friendly, always smiling and going the extra mile to help. When I checked in, there were 4 or 5 people helping me out, taking my bags, offering welcome drinks, etc.... When I got to my room, the staff spent a few minutes showing me everything in the room, etc...

My room was very spacious with a lot of closet space and the bathroom area was just great with 2 showers (one indoor, one outdoor), flowers on the bathtub and a his and her sink... a couple would not have a reason to fight over who showers first, etc...

The beach area is very well done, with chaises longues and little private cabins. The only thing is that it's on the East Coast where there is low tide all morning to early afternoon, so swimming is not possible till later in the day. However, at low tide, you can explore the bottom of the ocean and there is so much to see, amazing star fish, seashells and other treasures.

The food was amazing; many restaurants and different food options and themes every night. Being at a beach reasort, seafood was fresh and plentiful but you can't help trying he meat and chicken which were always cooked to perfection with the most flavourful spices and marinate. Desserts were astounding; and the baked good seemed like they were just made in the best patisserie in Paris - the croissant was just as crispy as it should. The best surprise was when I ordered the Tuna Wrap at the Pool Bar.... it came with fresh tuna steak, cooked to perfection, quite moist and flavourful... heavenly!

Service was outstanding..... Throughout my stay, the staff was always present, but not intrusive, always helpful and smiling. They also had a turn-down service where they left a different type of goodie everynight; the coconut square was my favorite.

As for the spa..... amazing treatments and services; I managed 2 treatments in my 3-day stay.

I picked Melia so I can rest and relax after climbing Kilimanjaro and a safari and they delivered - I loved my short stay at Melia; if it were any closer to London, I would go there for short breaks regularly.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank A1972

Dear A1972,
Thank you very much for your high words, comments like yours show us that we are in the right line and strive us to keep the good work. Our Chefs and Spa therapists and Front office staff are very happy and flattered. We are very much looking forward to receive you again