“very nice”

Baby Bush Lodge Zanzibar - Kiwengwa View
Warsaw, Warszawa, Poland
“very nice”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

If you look for an affordable place in kiwengwa the baby bush lodge is the place. for $15 you get a realxed environment with helpful staff, pretty good food, great drinks, a lot of fun and an opportunity to learn how to play bao. I miss zanzibar already.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Do not expect luxury but you get fantastic Zanzibar vibe !!!
I have been there one week with 3 other friends and we just fall in love with Baby Bush ;)
Rooms are basic but you get what needed. Water is a little bit salty but it is absolutely OK. Breakfest is extremely tasty with fresh fruits - yummy ;) Ali- the cooker makes great food when when you need it and any time!!! You need it!!! If you want fresh daiy catch just say so staff will make it for you!
Dennis plays great music and Lili is helpful when needed around the relaxing place.
It is just extremely easy going and staff will help you in anything you need!!!
Best place to stay in Kiwengwa for that money where you get into local atmosphere :)
Guys thank you it was great!
Magda, Kamil, Mario, Damian

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I'm so happy I got to stay at Baby Bush Lodge in Zanzibar! I had the place almost to myself right before the holidays in December 2012. The owner and staff made me feel at home and ensured I have everything I need at any time. The lodge is located a few steps from the amazing beach in Kiwengwa. A one minute walk gets you to the white sand and crystal clear water. It felt like the perfect chill-out oasis with a cool breeze and perfect view from the decks onto the beach and beyond. If you don't feel like going to the beach, you can cool off in their small pool. The design of the lodge is really unique compared to the other hotels along the beach. The sofas and music on the decks invite you to hang out and relax. The rooms and bathrooms were clean, the beds have mosquito nets and overall just perfect for what I was looking for. I loved their food and they considered special requests without a problem. My time at Baby Bush Lodge felt like hanging out at a friends house including warm hospitality and relaxing atmosphere. Thank you - I can't wait to come back!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed December 14, 2012

Arrived and the staff didn't even have our booking correct, rooms were in need of a revamp and overpriced in comparison to the rest of Zanzibar. The chill out area and the pool are a genuine plus however.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Babybushlodge, Owner at Baby Bush Lodge Zanzibar - Kiwengwa View, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Hi really sorry you felt this way. Unfortunately we have been getting difficulties from hostelworld.com as they have been making bookings and not informing us, as was the case with your reservation.

The room you were staying in was our most basic at 45$, it has no sea view. The cheapest double in kiwengwa is 370$ so i dont think our pricing is out of line. Over the last three months we have made extensive renovations to all rooms so this room is much nicer now.

Anyway sorry if you were disapointed. Should you ever come back to Zanzibar we would like you to stay in the same room again for free for a night

All the best,
Baby Bush Lodge
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed December 12, 2012

Baby Bush is the cutest, cleanest and coolest place to stay in Zanzibar. It's affordable! During my stay in August 2012, I fell in love with the lodge, the staff and the local food. The lodge is a few meters from the beach and looks postcard perfect! What I love about the lodge is its 'unique' location amongst the expensive, commercial hotels. It's located on a slight hill in the sweetest village of Kiwengwa. The owner and staff were very helpful and made me feel safe and at home. I loved the design of the place especially the decks, the lamps and the relaxation area. I heard they have a splash pool now which I find a great investment! My room was in this bungalow and was quite cool and clean. Although I didn't prefer the slightly salty showers, I noticed my skin becoming soft and even glowing! The garden created a tranquil environment and little private balconies were an extra bonus! Mornings I easily ran 45 minutes along the sandy beaches, did yoga and made my way to enjoy the delicious breakfast, which was included in the room rate! I found out that most of their fresh produce were organic, if not all of it. After a long day out, I looked forward coming back to my room and enjoying an ice cold sundowner from their bar plus chilling with my book on one of their extensive decks. I got to meet so many interesting travelers staying at the lodge. The best thing for me was that I could let go of my stress from the hectic city life. It offered that environment. Knowing I have to order my food in advance made it really easy to understand thats the way things operate here. It added to the fact that I am in Africa, and yet I lived like a princess! So do yourself a favour and head over to Baby Bush. I already booked my ticket to visit next year! :)

Room Tip: bungalow and dorm
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Baby Bush was an island of affordability and individuality in a sea of awful resorts. It was a lot more expensive than anything similar anywhere else in East Africa, but hey, this is zanzibar and you pay for it. The rooms are incredibly basic and a little scruffy, and unfortunately our family saw a rat running around their room, but the owners were concerned and acted to try and fix the problem.
The communal areas are fantastic, with incredible views and comfy lounging spots that are really lovely. The bar is nice but very expensive (remember this is zanzibar!). The beach area is more quiet in terms of hassle compared with local resorts, but not immune. It is hard to sit on the beach for more than 30 minutes without at least SOME hassle.
Now the 2 downpoints: The food was some of the worst in our many months of travelling and not cheap. When the food was very bad and we complained we didn't pay for it, so we appreciated that, but it was frustrating to be told that they know it isn't good and we should order something that they recommend instead.
Perhaps the most negative aspect was the owner's habit of talking on his mobile in communal areas and shouting loudly and swearing and giving abuse to other people on the other end of the phone! I just found it surprising he chose to conduct his business in public in front of guests as it seemed unprofessional.
In summary- you won't get anywhere else at this price in this area and the communal areas are lovely but avoid the food!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Babybushlodge, Owner at Baby Bush Lodge Zanzibar - Kiwengwa View, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Hello, after reading your review we would like to give you some feedback. We feel some of your complaints were valid and have made some important changes and renovations since your stay in August.

1.(Rats) We did have a problem with rats occasionally getting in the bungalow you stayed in and we are sorry for this. They typically only come in when people bring food into the room. To solve this problem in November '12 we have completely renovated this room and four others. We replaced the thin handboard walls with strong gypsum board and hard wood which now completely keeps them out wheather there is food in or not.

2. (Rooms to basic) After renovating all these rooms we have added extra furniture and paintings to make them more stlish and comfortable. We have also recently doubled the size of our communnal area(deck) adding a 12 person plunge pool and extra lounges with 6 x 4 ft cushions.

3. (Horrible food) During the time of your stay our main chef was sick and we had to hire a substitute, his skills were not up to our normal standard. We normally get consistently great reviews on our food but unfortunately we had no other option for that time. Startig this dec we have hired a second chef who is now working with our regular chef to ensure quality and punctuality. We have also doubled the size of our kitchen.

4. (owner shouting on the phone) August is our busiest time of the year and things can sometimes get hectic when organizing food and supplis from stone town and people calling you non stop. This was inappropriate to discuss business in front of customers but the phone rang and the best reception is by the bar. i can assure you that there was no swearing or unusual abuse being given either. Sometimes when reception is low you must shout to be heard on the other line.

Sorry again for any inconvenience or problems you encountered at baby bush. We have only been open a year and a half and are constantly learning and trying to upgrade are facilities, this is a process that takes time to fine tune but i can assure you were on it. We thank you much for your constructive critisism and would like to offer you a free night in our honey moon suite should you ever return to Zanzibar and a bottle of bubbly from south Africa.

Best Regards,
Baby Bush Lodge
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 10, 2012

We had stayed further down the beach for the first couple nights, and then spent our last night here.
In terms of location, it is not directly on the beach, but about a 30-second walk from it. This can be good or bad - you can't just roll out your door and be on the beach, but when the tide is in at night here, being right on the beach can be really loud.

We had a second floor room with a great view over the beach, and a little loft with a third-floor balcony, which we didn't use. The value was great, as one of the cheaper places here. The bathroom could have been better, but it was clean. The breakfast was very good - simple, but fresh-cooked and tasty, with chapattis, nutella, fresh fruit, and lots of condiments. Definitely an improvement over the spread of stale pastries and fruit at our previous place.

Room Tip: The upper level rooms have better rooms and probably less noise.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kiwengwa
Melia Zanzibar
Zan View Hotel
Zan View Hotel
#1 of 10 in Kiwengwa
Ocean Paradise Resort & Spa

Been to Baby Bush Lodge Zanzibar - Kiwengwa View? Share your experiences!