We arrived home yesterday after the most wonderful 10 night stay at Sultan Sands.
After reading some of the reviews i was slightly apprehensive, however after working in the travel industry abroad for 5 years i am fully aware that most of the time people only come onto these sites to complain.
From the moment we arrived to the moment we left we were well and truely looked after. The grounds and hotel are open and relaxed with a friendly atmosphere. From the restaurant and the bars you can look out to the turquoise waters of the beautiful indian ocean. I can not emphasise enough how amazing it is.
The staff are always saying hello and asking how you are, from the gardeners to the management.
The rooms are a little tired but they are spacious and are cleaned very well. The air con is on low when you arrive back to your room, however the solution to this problem is to turn it off!!! It will soon warm up due to Zanzibar being a hot country!!
The all-inclusive is definately the best option. You will receive a list of the all-inclusive drinks on offer, which includes named brands of alcohol (aways a nice suprise!) The bottles of water are the perfect size, and if you are really thirsty why not order 2 or 3!!
The bar staff/waiters are more than happy to take your drinks order if you ask, and when you go to the bar to order they will insist on bringing your drinks over to your sunbed for you.
There is so much to choose from in the restaurant, and yet again the staff are very helpful.
We actually got married during our stay. From the meeting with the managment to discuss what we would like, to our wedding meal at the end of the evening it was perfect, and nothing was too much trouble to ensure it was exactly what we wanted.
There are so many snorkling opportunities near by that i suggest you take a mask and snorkel set with you. You can walk straight out onto the beach which there is alot of at low tide. Watch out for the sea urchins as these are around the coral areas, they are clearly visable. There is a strong breeze which can give the illusion that the sun isnt too strong. However it is, so make sure you wear a high factor as you will burn without realising. It can get a bit cool in the evening due to the breeze, although im sure vistors over the next coulple of months will welcome it as zanzibar will soon be into its hottest time of the year. We were in the sun from finishing our breakfact until about 17:00ish every day.
So if you have made it to the end of our review i hope you have worked out that if you book to stay at Sultan sands, you wont be disappointed. After speaking to many other guests we found that no one had a bad word to say :)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sultan Sands Island Resort is situated on the wide, sparkling beaches of Kiwengwa on the East Coast of Zanzibar Island. Sultan Sands is a resort with a unique character: an inspired blend of Swahili and Arab architecture and decor creates a relaxed ambience, while first-class amenities and facilities ensure complete comfort. The spacious rooms at Sultan Sands are built in the style of traditional African rondavels, each tastefully decorated with hand-carved Zanzibari furniture. All rooms are ocean-facing with some situated just metres from the beach. The resort's wining and dining venues are equally impressive, offering delicious local specialities as well as Far-Eastern and European favourites. Sultan Sands shares a 500m stretch of beach with its sister property - Bluebay Beach Resort & Spa. Guests of the two resorts also share many facilities and amenities, including the famous Oasis Spa and the One Ocean Dive Centre. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Priceline, Jovago.com, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Hotel.de, HRS, Reservation Counter and Despegar.com so you can book your Sultan Sands Island Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sultan Sands Island Hotel Kiwengwa
- Sultan Sands Island Resort Zanzibar Island/Kiwengwa