It all depends on what you are looking for. Sultan Sands is a nice small resort, quiet, clean and modern rooms with good beds/sheets and air condition. Food was on average very good, even if my husband got food poisoning from eating from the buffet. If you fly in from a hectic working life in Europe and need a good rest for a week or two, all inclusive, lying by the swimming pool reading books all day, this is probably the best resort in Zanzibar.
However, Sultans Sands had tripled the prices on beer, wine and doubled the prices on the lunch menu. Zanzibar is extremely overpriced in general, but in the five different places we stayed, we never paid as much for the beer as we had to in Sultan Sands. A less costly pricelist would probably have given us an urge to go back, or stay longer than the three nights we stayed. Now, the stay left us with a suspicion that we were being ripped off.
Also, some more effort should have been made to keep youghurt, cheese and milk cold at the breakfast buffet. And some whole wheat bread would have been great.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sultan Sands Island Resort is situated on the wide, sparkling beaches of Kiwengwa on the East Coast of Zanzibar Island. Sultan Sands is a resort with a unique character: an inspired blend of Swahili and Arab architecture and decor creates a relaxed ambience, while first-class amenities and facilities ensure complete comfort. The spacious rooms at Sultan Sands are built in the style of traditional African rondavels, each tastefully decorated with hand-carved Zanzibari furniture. All rooms are ocean-facing with some situated just metres from the beach. The resort's wining and dining venues are equally impressive, offering delicious local specialities as well as Far-Eastern and European favourites. Sultan Sands shares a 500m stretch of beach with its sister property - Bluebay Beach Resort & Spa. Guests of the two resorts also share many facilities and amenities, including the famous Oasis Spa and the One Ocean Dive Centre. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Travelocity, Priceline, Jovago.com, Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your Sultan Sands Island Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sultan Sands Island Hotel Kiwengwa
- Sultan Sands Island Resort Zanzibar Island/Kiwengwa