All reviewsbeach boysstone townblue baysister hotelevery nightbahari roomfruit selectionbeach frontlandscaped gardensbeautiful dinnertanzanian shillingsevery mealspend moneystayed all inclusivegrilled meatlovely poolbeautiful beach
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I booked this resort for a time of relaxation after a safari. There was some confusion upon our arrival but after some time and negotiation the Manager set us up in a room that was very enjoyable with two entrances - one from the beach and one from the main walkway with a waterfront patio. After a lot of contemplation and research we decided to go half-board (breakfast and dinner included). However I didn't realize that ALL beverages (including softdrinks and water) came at a cost. Lunch at the beach grill was costly. An order of fries which consisted of perhaps one medium sized potato was US$5. We decided to venture out to try to acquire some beverages from the local store (just through the entrance and up the driveway) and were successful in purchasing soda ($1.00 each) and Kilimanjaro beer ($2.50 for large bottles). As for the food I would honestly say that it was adequate but never hot or cold. With the exception of the food at the cooking stations everything was just warm and variety is very limited. On New Year's Eve they put a hugh spread of traditional as well as international foods and I am sure it was very good however my husband experienced food poisoning the night before from the Marsala chicken so we were unable to partake of the festivities. We welcomed an offer to cut our stay short by a day with an offer of exchanging privileges at the Beyt el Chai in Stonetown. In closing I want to mention a particular server, Jonathan, who went above and beyond his call of duty to ensure that we were taken care of during meals and even when we were confined to our room on New Year's Eve. So sorry we didn't get a chance to say goodbye to him. Thank you Jonathan for your excellent care.
In summary I would say that this resort is overpriced for what it offers.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 14, 2013

A very nice hotel near the beach with very good buffet and food. Every day the restaurant changes theme e.g. asian, libyan, arabic food. The service is in top, the rooms are big and hold in natural wooden materials.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 17, 2012

In Sultan Sands Hotel we got the holiday of a lifetime.Nice rooms,perfect service,verry friendly staff.Nice setting,right on the beach.and the resort has a lot of trees,and flowers.The food was verry good,with a wide spread to choose from.We apreciated the Seafood BBQ buffet on the beach(verry romantic,with candellights)Also the entertainement after dinner was verry good.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Rolly04
Reviewed November 25, 2012

We arrived to check in at the hotel after a stressful few days and a flight cancellation to get to Zanzibar. The hotel staff recognized this and went out of their way to allow us to get into the room early. We had a fabulous sea view room and it was spotlessly clean, flower petals placed on the bed (a nice touch) and a nice bathroom & great powerful shower & consistent hot water which is rare for Africa !!!
We were surprised that the food was so good. There was a wide selection for breakfast & lunch and a theme menu for dinner which changed every evening.
There were frequent power cuts in the evening but the hotel generators came on with in a minute or 2 with the minimum of inconvenience.
We found the hotel staff very friendly and helpful.
We did originally have a problem regarding our reservation but David the Operations Manager came and spoke to us & asked if we were enjoying our stay and that if we had any problems to contact him. He, on a number of occasions made sure we were enjoying our holiday and nothing was too much trouble and organized a private dinner for us on the beach without us asking for this.
I travel a great deal for work and stay in hotels all over the world. Believe me The Sultan Sands is great value for money with excellent, friendly staff, clean & very comfortable rooms and good food and would highly recommend it for your stay in Zanzibar.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank garry r
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I stayed at the Hotel with my daughter for 3 nights and four days. Quite relaxing! The rooms are neat, the staff, particularly the ones at Mwambao Restaurant are quite nice and charming, the food is delicious with a wide spread to choose from. PLEASE experience the Spa for whatever massage, you'll love it. I did foot reflexology. The swimming pool is beautiful, not to mention the weather. You can enjoy a walk on the beach. The sockets are however not friendly and no universal adapters provided in the rooms. It doesn't make sense to buy when you have beach home.

Room Tip: We were booked in the Pwani room and we found it quite nice. I personally don't like hills so any room (329-.....) and below is ok for people like me. The pics are taking long to upload!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family