We booked the Retreat for a long weekend romantic getaway and we totally loved it.
We had seen quite some of the lodges on Zanzibar before but this was absolutely the perfect place.
The villa we stayed in, Zam Zam, has a perfect view of the ocean and the island of Mnemba. The beautiful palm trees, white sand and the blue sea give you the feeling of absolute tropical remoteness. We could just sit for hours looking at the sea, enjoying the cool breeze through our hairs (and a bottle of white wine).
Our private butler provided us with just everything we were feeling hungry for: full english breakfasts, delicious sea-food for lunch and excellent afternoon snacks. There is no menu at the Retreat: just order what you like and they will prepare it! On the last night we felt like a bit of everything - so we got a big plate of fish, soft chicken and tender beef!
Our waiter made us feel like absolute royalties - we were served very discretely and always very quickly. At various hotels and lodges we have witnessed great customer care but at Matemwe Retreat it was of another level.
The room, or actually the small villa, has two stories. On the ground floor, there is the terrace with a private refridgerator and the beautiful bedroom. Also there is a huge bathroom with an open shower and bathtub overlooking the ocean (when we came back from a stroll along the beach, the bathtub was filled with hot water, bath salts and some flowers). On the top floor, you have your own private plungepool with great views and a lounge-area to chill or have an afternoon nap.
Also at Matemwe they offer a whole range of activities like canoeing, village walks, diving etc. However, we only managed to get out of our villa once to do a small walk - we just did not want to leave the place! Absolutely fabulous.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy your own private tropical escape at Matemwe Retreat. The four elegant villas that make up the retreat are set high in the palm trees with uninterrupted Indian Ocean views. With its secluded location and dedicated private butler, the retreat is considered one of the most exclusive choices of accommodation on Zanzibar Island. If you are looking for pure escapism, these villas - which combine the spirit of Zanzibar with the highest standards of comfort - were designed for you. The private plunge pool, personal bar and spacious roof terrace with day bed and loungers are so appealing that we would not blame you if you relaxed in your hidden sanctuary for your entire holiday. Echoing the white sand beaches and the changing turquoise hues of the tropical waters, the fully air-conditioned Matemwe Retreat villas are a reflection of their tranquil island surroundings, filled with locally produced materials and furnishings. The ground floor of each villa features a private bar area, cool and airy double bedroom with king-sized bed and en-suite bathroom with double basins, shower and a sunken bathtub with impressive views of the sparkling ocean. Outdoors, impressively comfortable and very private lounge areas invite you to make the most of the tropical climate.The rooftop deck with sparkling blue plunge pool offers panoramic Indian Ocean views. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotwire, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Matemwe Retreat, Asilia Africa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Matemwe Retreat, Asilia Africa Hotel Matemwe
- Matemwe Retreat, Asilia Africa Zanzibar Island