Spent 5 nights at the retreat.
The retreat and rooms are very quiet and exotically decorated.
Would not return as, there is no swimming beach. They may tell you there is one, but is a beach full of boats and you would have to swim out real far to have the water reach your knees.
The room was supposed to be air conditioned. It was broken the entire time. A repairman came out 2 days spending the time talking with our butler. Destroyed any privacy and unable to take a shower or sleep while they were there. They would say it was fixed but never worked.
Our butler was mildly hostile. Would walk in on us without knocking. Would give wrong information about massages and buffets. He seemed burned out and resentful. Actually he was pretty obnoxious. Rather than providing relaxation he prevented it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy your own private tropical escape at Matemwe Retreat. The four elegant villas that make up the retreat are set high in the palm trees with uninterrupted Indian Ocean views. With its secluded location and dedicated private butler, the retreat is considered one of the most exclusive choices of accommodation on Zanzibar Island. If you are looking for pure escapism, these villas - which combine the spirit of Zanzibar with the highest standards of comfort - were designed for you. The private plunge pool, personal bar and spacious roof terrace with day bed and loungers are so appealing that we would not blame you if you relaxed in your hidden sanctuary for your entire holiday. Echoing the white sand beaches and the changing turquoise hues of the tropical waters, the fully air-conditioned Matemwe Retreat villas are a reflection of their tranquil island surroundings, filled with locally produced materials and furnishings. The ground floor of each villa features a private bar area, cool and airy double bedroom with king-sized bed and en-suite bathroom with double basins, shower and a sunken bathtub with impressive views of the sparkling ocean. Outdoors, impressively comfortable and very private lounge areas invite you to make the most of the tropical climate.The rooftop deck with sparkling blue plunge pool offers panoramic Indian Ocean views. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Priceline, Cheap Tickets and Hotwire so you can book your Matemwe Retreat, Asilia Africa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Matemwe Retreat, Asilia Africa Hotel Matemwe
- Matemwe Retreat, Asilia Africa Zanzibar Island