Stayed here 3 nights after a night in Stone Town. Spent two days SCUBA diving. Although there is no dive shop at the resort, they met us timely for orientation and pick-up. Was an "adventuresome" drive to get to the dive shop and then to the dive site. This is definitely not the easiest or best place to stay for avid divers as it was a bit inconvenient relative to other places I've stayed to dive. Otherwise though the place was beautiful. Grounds were spectacular - clean, gorgeous flora & fauna, peaceful. The hut was huge!! Bathroom was bigger than some rooms I've stayed at in Europe. I took the bed in the loft and felt like a little kid up there. I was scared to death one night when a bush baby jumped on the roof and sounded like he was in the house (he wasn't so all was good). Loved the privacy, the view, and the options of outdoor lounging. My ONLY complaint was that the lighting in the hut was HORRIBLE!!! It was very, very dark even with every available light on. We had a lot of electronics and had enough outlets and converters to charge everything. Food at the restaurant was good - nothing too memorable, but nothing to complain about. I ended up getting sick the day we were leaving and the bartender was gracious to give me some bitters in Sprite, which ended up helping significantly. Definitely a great place for couples to come for a private & romantic getaway. I think 3 nights was sufficient given the remote location. I may have gotten a bit bored if we stayed there a full week. The pools were well-kept but I never used them as we spent our daytime diving instead at the resort. My friend received a massage and enjoyed it. Front desk was very helpful and kind.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Vibrant yet relaxed Matemwe, one of the first lodges in Zanzibar, has perfected the tropical island experience. Perched on an outcrop overlooking a shallow coral fringed lagoon on the quieter northeast coast of Zanzibar, Matemwe’s peaceful location and famed relaxed atmosphere, makes it the ideal place to unwind. Guests quickly ease into the laid-back rhythm of island life, planning their day around the tides and their mood. The relaxed daily routines of Matemwe’s guests include enjoying fresh seafood, poolside cocktails, massages or simply hanging out in a hammock. The lodge has plenty on offer for the more active with superb diving and snorkeling off the renowned Mnembe Atoll; a highlight for many. Built from local materials and surrounded by beautiful lush gardens, each of the 12 spacious suites has a private veranda with a hammock and sofa and expansive views of the Indian Ocean with its constantly changing hues of blue. Here you can watch the fishermen head out every morning at dawn or listen to the songs of the village women as they harvest seaweed. The large bathrooms have both a deep bathtub and walk-in shower and all beds are enclosed by mosquito nets. The open-air restaurant sits just above the sea and has a tranquil lounge area with beautiful views of the palm fringed beach and gently rocking dhows. Seafood is the specialty of the house, with all produce bought daily from the local markets. Lunch is a buffet offering a delicious mix of African and European flavours. Dinner offers a choice of main courses with fish, meat and vegetarian options. Matemwe has a multi-level swimming pool surrounded with lounge chairs overlooking the ocean. Freshly mixed cocktails are served at the poolside bar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz and Hotwire so you can book your Matemwe Lodge, Asilia Africa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Matemwe Main Lodge, Asilia Africa Hotel Matemwe
- Matemwe Bungalows
- Matemwe Lodge, Asilia Africa Zanzibar Island