We had been traveling for over 12 days on safari before we arrived to Matemwe Lodge for the last leg of our honeymoon trip in East Africa. The staff was superb in ensuring our stay was relaxing and enjoyable. The staff knew our names and checked in on us every day to see if we needed anything. When we returned from our day activities we were greeted with warm smiles and inquiries on how our day was. The food was excellent. All bungalows faced the ocean and the rooms were spacious. The staff was very accomodating. We wanted to spend a day shopping and exploring Stone Town and the package tour was 3 hours. We spoke to Sandy, who said it was no problem and arrange a car and guide to stay with us for as long as we wanted in Stone Town. We were able to stay for a sundowner in Stone Town before heading back to the Lodge. Wonderful staff, wonderful location, wonderful property. Highly reccomended.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Vibrant yet relaxed Matemwe, one of the first lodges in Zanzibar, has perfected the tropical island experience. Perched on an outcrop overlooking a shallow coral fringed lagoon on the quieter northeast coast of Zanzibar, Matemwe’s peaceful location and famed relaxed atmosphere, makes it the ideal place to unwind. Guests quickly ease into the laid-back rhythm of island life, planning their day around the tides and their mood. The relaxed daily routines of Matemwe’s guests include enjoying fresh seafood, poolside cocktails, massages or simply hanging out in a hammock. The lodge has plenty on offer for the more active with superb diving and snorkeling off the renowned Mnembe Atoll; a highlight for many. Built from local materials and surrounded by beautiful lush gardens, each of the 12 spacious suites has a private veranda with a hammock and sofa and expansive views of the Indian Ocean with its constantly changing hues of blue. Here you can watch the fishermen head out every morning at dawn or listen to the songs of the village women as they harvest seaweed. The large bathrooms have both a deep bathtub and walk-in shower and all beds are enclosed by mosquito nets. The open-air restaurant sits just above the sea and has a tranquil lounge area with beautiful views of the palm fringed beach and gently rocking dhows. Seafood is the specialty of the house, with all produce bought daily from the local markets. Lunch is a buffet offering a delicious mix of African and European flavours. Dinner offers a choice of main courses with fish, meat and vegetarian options. Matemwe has a multi-level swimming pool surrounded with lounge chairs overlooking the ocean. Freshly mixed cocktails are served at the poolside bar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Jovago.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Hotel.de, Priceline, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Matemwe Lodge, Asilia Africa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Matemwe Main Lodge, Asilia Africa Hotel Matemwe
- Matemwe Bungalows
- Matemwe Lodge, Asilia Africa Zanzibar Island