We stayed for 3 nights in August, a very nice hotel, great pool area secluded from the wind so warm and fun, great food, very friendly staff.
Thing to note – the sea was very different to further south, the tide went out daily but not completely and at high tide it still wasn’t very deep so swimming is not great, plus the sea is full of urchins so unless you have good sea shoes don’t go in!
It a public beach so there is a lot of passing people traffic (and bicycles and motorbikes) and you do get hassled but people trying to sell you stuff – trips, massage, henna tattoos – its not a huge problem but it can be annoying. As it’s a public beach the hotel has only a few sun bed and no sun shade , they do have some thatch rondavals in the undergrowth but they are so dark and full of mosquitos they were not an option for us!
We stayed in a Shamba suite, they are larger and more expensive but I think the least nice of all the rooms, there are 5 of them in a round courtyard with no outside seating, inside there are 2 rooms and a bathroom – so ideal for families as kids can sleep in one side and parent the other with a bathroom in the middle, upstairs there is a seating are and sunbed under the large thatch roof, however its dark and a mosquito haven, we were there in low season for mosquitos but were saw hundreds (at our other hotel we saw none in a week) The beach front rooms looked the best especially 5-7.
Dinner was really good twice we got a buffet – lots of choice and really good food in the boma, we didn’t want to sit with others so we had a table to ourselves, so we were happy.
This hotel is a great location for diving, not ideal if you want a quite secluded beach, I do recommend it but I did think the shamba rooms were over priced.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Matemwe Beach Village is a local Zanzibari Guest house – not a hotel and not a resort. No shoes No news. We do not have television or air conditioning in the rooms but we do have wifi and a lovely swimming pool. We are very proud of our gourmet food, romantic beach dinner settings and boma evenings under the stars. Situated on the Matemwe Beach on the North East coast of Zanzibar which boasts a beautiful long white sandy beach. At low tide one can explore the reef which stretches all the way down the East coast of the island. We are proud to have One Ocean diving center on our property where diving and snorkeling trips can be arranged. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Matemwe Beach Village reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Matemwe Beach Village Hotel Matemwe
- Matemwe Beach Village Zanzibar Island