We spent a couple of nights here following a safari and it's the perfect place to relax and unwind. We had a small cottage/duplex right near the beach (there is shrubbery between the cottage and the beach so you can't see the water but you can hear it) that was very comfortable. Each day, the bed was decorated beautifully with flowers from the property and the staff sprayed the room, lit mosquito coils, and lowered the mosquito net while we dined at dinner. We never heard any of the other guests nearby.
The food was definitely the best part, aside from the friendly staff. We enjoyed the food so much, we decided to have lunch there too. Sunrise coffee on the beach with hot milk and biscuits, Eggs Benedict with avocado for breakfast (lots of other options too), sandwiches/salad/etc. for lunch, and a 4 course dinner with amazing fish and steak. One evening they had an African buffet poolside (the pool area is really pretty & gets great breezes) featuring food from north, east, and south Africa. We fell in love with the Urojo (potato) soup they served that evening and they graciously provided the recipe upon request.
There is a very relaxed feeling about this place and you easily unwind while there. We snoozed under one of several cabanas beach-side, walked along the beach, and waded into the ocean. The lodge works with a local villager for laundry service; ours came back fresh and clean. There are 2 small friendly dogs & a cat that live on the property, which is quite large and nicely landscaped.
A negative was the lack of breezes during part of our stay. When the breezes stop, it is very hot and humid. Our cottage had a ceiling fan, but no air conditioning. Ceiling fans in the dining area would be a very nice addition to this property. The lodge is eco-friendly, which we also admired. There were a few people on the beach - mostly young men - who tried to solicit donations from us, but they were not too close to the lodge's beach. Interestingly, the lodge staff rakes and buries the excess seaweed each morning so the beach will be clean and attractive for the guests.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Matemwe Beach Village is a local Zanzibari Guest house – not a hotel and not a resort. No shoes No news. We do not have television or air conditioning in the rooms but we do have wifi and a lovely swimming pool. We are very proud of our gourmet food, romantic beach dinner settings and boma evenings under the stars. Situated on the Matemwe Beach on the North East coast of Zanzibar which boasts a beautiful long white sandy beach. At low tide one can explore the reef which stretches all the way down the East coast of the island. We are proud to have One Ocean diving center on our property where diving and snorkeling trips can be arranged. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Matemwe Beach Village reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Matemwe Beach Village Hotel Matemwe
- Matemwe Beach Village Zanzibar Island