My wife and I stayed 4 nights in one of the Kijiji bungalows. Our room was fairly basic but clean and tidy with a couple of nice touches (eg. sarongs and hats provided). I read a couple of reviews on here that complained about the décor looking a little tired and grubby – I actually thought the same when we arrived, but my wife insists that is the intended rustic style so I stand corrected. We were in room number 17 and had a view straight out to the sea.
Along the beach there are a number of huts and hammocks which are nice and private for chilling out in the shade. It’s not really possible to swim in the sea because the tide reaches out so far, so cooling down was largely limited to the pool area which was nicely designed on two levels.
We did a refresher dive in the pool with One Ocean (the dive centre at the resort) before heading out to Mnemba for some excellent diving. One Ocean were knowledgeable, friendly and professional.
I can only echo other reviews here praising the chef – the food was absolutely superb. Same goes for all of the staff who were all very friendly, helpful and attentive.
The only downside was that we weren’t made aware of any potential security concerns - we decided to go for a late dip in the sea one evening around 11pm and were approached by 3 security guys who told us we should head back to our bungalow as the beach can be unsafe after dark. A similar incident happened when we were enjoying the stars at night on our veranda. Ah well, better safe than sorry, but we wished the hotel would have told us and that the security people could be identifiable by wearing a hotel uniform or something – it would have avoided us a bit of a scare. But this by no means soured the lovely time we had at Matemwe Beach Village.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Matemwe Beach Village is a local Zanzibari Guest house – not a hotel and not a resort. No shoes No news. We do not have television or air conditioning in the rooms but we do have wifi and a lovely swimming pool. We are very proud of our gourmet food, romantic beach dinner settings and boma evenings under the stars. Situated on the Matemwe Beach on the North East coast of Zanzibar which boasts a beautiful long white sandy beach. At low tide one can explore the reef which stretches all the way down the East coast of the island. We are proud to have One Ocean diving center on our property where diving and snorkeling trips can be arranged. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline and Booking.com so you can book your Matemwe Beach Village reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Matemwe Beach Village Hotel Matemwe
- Matemwe Beach Village Zanzibar Island