“Perfect place for families - Good balance between excursions and relaxing!”
Review of Karabai Villa

Karabai Villa
Ranked #13 of 18 Specialty Lodging in Matemwe
Lausanne, Switzerland
“Perfect place for families – Good balance between excursions and relaxing!”
Reviewed September 21, 2011

We came at Kandili last July with our 2 children and 3 couples of friends, therefore between us we occupied the whole villa (8) and the annex (2) (separate building a few meters from the villa with one double bedroom and en suite bathroom).

We were occupying the whole first floor of the villa where the family room is. We knew they did not have twin beds for the children but a queen size bed, as our children are young it was not a problem. Our ensuite bathroom has a bath tub and a shower and there are two balconies, one facing the sea and pool and the other one facing the access road.

Our friends had each one large bedroom with ensuite bathroom and the 3 of them with a private veranda also facing the pool and sea.

The bedrooms are large and beautifully decorated, a mix of traditional Swahili and modern styles, with air conditioning in all bedrooms, there is a TV and DVD player in the living room (although the choice of channels is not very wide). The daily cleaning of the rooms was excellent. We found the staff was absolutely lovely, genuinely friendly and always accommodating and thoughtful in their service.

The beach was as expected i.e. the small beach appears at low tide only. At high tide you can swim from the stairs as Kandili is on a cliff. We also had been told that almost all beaches in Zanzibar were hardly accessible because of coral reef and tides so this did not come as a surprise. The pool was so tempting and welcoming that this was not a problem and walks down the coastline at low tide were lovely.

Plenty of activities for the children: the manageress (who by the way is French so that was quite a good surprise especially as she could deal directly with our children) organized for us excursions. We could not miss Stone Town and the children were delighted by the red colobus of the Jozani forest. The spice tour was also very interesting. We stayed 7 days and when not being busy discovering the island, we were just enjoying the place and relaxing at the pool.

Of course there were power cuts, water pressure was sometimes low and mosquitoes but that is Africa so that is part of the package! We will definitely come back to Kandili Villa as that was perfect for our family and everybody found there what they were looking for!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank David K

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
copenhagen
Reviewed September 21, 2011

As a songwriter, one dreams of a place to write where it would be quiet, peaceful & tranquil, inspiring & to really top off the whole desire & dream, there would also be a beautiful ocean to look at.
Yes, it's been a dream for me and for most creative artists who would do anything for such a place.
When I was brought to Kandili Villa just last week, (seems like ages ago now, as I sit here in Copenhagen Denmark, just a little bit colder :-) I could not believe my very eyes.
The front doors were opened up for me and as I walked in this beautiful villa, I froze in my steps just to take in all the beauty of the ocean view. The whole first level is where you'll find the kitchen area and two sitting areas or living rooms with the far wall being glass windows so you can sit there and look out on to the ocean.
Then I was taken up to the master bedroom where I'd be staying. Again, doors with glass windows opening up to the terrace. It was here on this terrace where I'd spend the next 3 days. Sitting, thinking, writing, composing & with my MacBook Pro, I'd actually have the opportunity to record my ideas.
I was able to compose a new song which I am currently mixing now in the studio, it's called, "Keep your head to the sky" and it's a song I've written for all the Zanzibarians as a tribute song.

Thanks to the manager at Kandili Villa and her staff who were all very helpful, attentive and kind.

Al Campos

Room Tip: One thing... I am 6 foot 3 and the bed up in the master bedroom was just a little bit short for me B...