All reviewsother hotelshigh tidebig gardenpure naturewhite sandsound of the wavesindian oceanbeautiful resortoctopusrelaxing staythe east coastsea urchinsstayed here for nightshammocksverandatanzaniaparadise
Reviewed December 7, 2013

Hard to do this place justice really, except to say it s absolutely delightful for a quiet relaxed stay. We had booked for two nights in December but within hours of arriving had extended this to four and have had a superb time. The staff are incredible (particular thanks to Dustin and Angela for service with a big smile!) and Rebecca steers an efficient ship being very helpful with any arrangements or requirements. The rooms are located on a beautiful beach (or within a few metres of it) so you fall asleep and wake up to the sound of the ocean, and there are so many thoughtful little touches that often help the local community too. Hot water was plentiful. Food is very well prepared and an interesting mix of options each day. And after four weeks of mostly instant coffee how great to stay somewhere that serves fresh ground coffee! We were fortunate to take advantage of a low season rate which meant this was great value at $67.50 per night B&B. Asante sana.

Trips can be arranged, and although expensive for Tanzania generally they are reasonable compared to other operators in Matengwe. For example, the taxi from Stone Town cost $27 but we were quoted $50+ by everyone here. No fault of the hotel obviously, but just a warning!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 19, 2013

The staff here are some of the best we met on the Island. Rebbecca answered all our questions and gave great advice on things to see and do. This is not a 5* resort but it is better. Rooms are comfortable and the premises are fantastic. Food was good and a nice mix of local seafood and traditional western food. (local dishes were much better than western dishes). We rented a car which I would recommend so that you can go out and try other restaurants. We ate at several resorts in the area and found Panga Chumvi to be one of the best. Advice: order food early as everything is made to order and can take an hour or so to get food. Highly recommend this resort if you are looking for peace and quiet.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I stayed 3 nights at Panga Chumvi this past July and loved it! I arrived early in Zanzibar before meeting with my friends and even though I arrived alone I felt at home. The staff was very friendly and I enjoyed the many pleasant conversations shared. The rooms were very clean and simple and the food was delicious! I would recommend this resort to anyone looking to have a very relaxed and peaceful stay! The views of the sunrise/sunset were also incredible and made the experience so much more beautiful.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 21, 2013

My son and I stayed four nights at Panga Chumvi two weeks ago. It is a lovely place, very peaceful with great food, helpful staff, large clean and comfortable rooms. I loved my Zanzibari bed with crisp linen, mossie net and fan provided. The beach is tidal with powdery white sand, great for building castles with moats and walking! While the tide is out the local women harvest seaweeds. If you walk out in the water while tide is out, definitely wear the water shoes provided. The swimming is great when the tide is in. Best breakfast I had in Tanzania is included with wonderful dark roast coffee - not the instant stuff! Lunch and dinner selections each day were delicious. The owners are gracious and helpful. We hope to visit Panga Chumvi again.

Room Tip: The front rooms on the beach are great if you like the sound of the sea to lull you to sleep.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 20, 2013

This place is great. The rooms are very clean, simple and beautifully furnished, with excellent hot showers, great mosquito nets, a beautiful wide white sand beach and great food...not to mention excellent coffee...what else can you ask for? In addition, the staff were very attentive. Matemwe is different from Kendwa or other highly-touristed resort areas, it's quieter (no thumping music at 3 am here, thank you), the tide gets lower, and you get to watch the seaweed collectors get to work. There were no, or hardly, any touts when I was there and it was blissfully quiet. I would highly recommend this place for some quiet, relaxing, getaway time in a beautiful setting.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo