We stayed 4 days at Seles in early May '12 and we had simply wonderful time. Extremely clean, comfortable room (we stayed at no1) with warm water, king size bed and decent bathroom. The kitchen at Seles is amazing, we ate there every night, and despite knowing the menu back and forth by the end of our vacation, we would gladly have second rounds on all the dishes. Breakfast is just right, but don't expect buffet style - fruit, juice and eggs. The bar is well equipped and gets lively in the evenings when people from outside drop in from along the beach for drinks. The staff is incredible discreet yet very attentive and smooth - it seemed like "No" is not an answer in Seles. On the top of the bar is a great place to lounge and play board games that are available at the bar.
The beach is virtually at the doorstep, the sand feels like powder sugar, ocean is warm and you get to watch the local villagers getting on with their daily jobs. The only downside is that if you want to go for a swim, you have to catch the high tide, which comes in twice a day. We ended up swimming only in the pm.
Overall, don't expect a big party-time in Seles, it's a romantic place, surely it gets busy in the high season, but definitely no resort-style entertainment. This place is laid back, relaxed & romantic in its simplicity.
We took taxi to the airport for about $40 arranged by the staff.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We are a small hotel small hotel situated on the North East Coast of Zanzibar, very close to Mnemba Island which is famous for stunning dive and snorkling. We have 8 rooms all en suite with hot water, air-condition and a balcony with a garden view. We also have a nice swimming pool to relax in when it is low tide. We serve delicous food with all the local spices infused in our dishes and a full bar with exoctic cocktails a must to try. The hotel is surrounded by beautiful gardens where you can just relax and enjoy Zanzibar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline and Booking.com so you can book your Sele's Bungalows reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sele`s Bungalows Hotel Matemwe
- Sele's Bungalows Matemwe, Zanzibar Island