“Lovely family owned bungalows”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Matemwe
Mohammed's Beach Bungalows
Ranked #10 of 20 Specialty Lodging in Matemwe
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Came to Matembwe for four nights to do some diving. Wanted an inexpensive place to stay as I knew I wouldn't be there much - and this place was awesome! Very affordable but not missing any of the necessities. Right on the beach, a short walk from several dive centres. Private bungalows with mosquito nets and cold water showers. The real stand outs are the service by Mohammad and his family, and the food! The most delicious food for, again, very reasonable prices. Can't recommend it enough. Skip the fancy places and come eat well and hang out with the locals that eat there as well.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Nicola S
There are newer reviews for Mohammed's Beach Bungalows

Reviewed April 17, 2013

Tucked behind a village on a sandy beach of the Indian Ocean, you will find Mohammed's Beach Bungalows.
The grounds are well kept yet have a rustic feel, providing an excellent refuge from the hustle and bustle of Stone Town.
From my private bungalow, I was able to fall asleep by listening to the sound of crashing waves on the beach, and awoke to find myself on a lovely eastwardly-facing beach, perfect for watching sunrises.
The beaches were "littered" with the beautiful, traditional Dhow's, waiting to be captured on photo, and made beach walks so much more rewarding. The beach also had a few hammocks strung up, where you were able to enjoy the ocean and read a book in comfortable shade.
The food and drink selection at the bar were excellent considering how secluded these bungalows were. The seafood menu would change daily based on what the fishermen brought it, and what was available. If you were feeling adventurous for dinner, there was one other resort a short walk away, that allowed outside visitors in for drinks and snacks.
The staff were exceptionally genuine and friendly people. They contributed to the overall outstanding experience at Mohammed's Beach Bungalow's.
I would highly recommend this place to a friend!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Travelling as a couple, we stayed at Mohammed's for four nights. We felt truly welcome in the family environment, and had a lovely time relaxing on the beach, playing cards and enjoying the freshly cooked food - huge pancakes and fresh fruit for breakfast, and fresh catch in the evenings. Be sure to ask for Mohammed's Coconut sauce and Alla Yusria sauce recipes!!

The bungalows are basic and functional but pleasant. The welcome is what makes Mohammed's a good pick, and a solid base for diving and snorkelling at Mnemba Island. The property opens directly onto the beach and has a cool private beach garden, with hammocks and sunbeds provided.

I understand that Mohammed now has a website - http://mohammedsbungalows.wordpress.com/ - and is taking bookings over emails.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2012 via mobile

Myself and a couple of friends stayed here post-kendwa rocks. We decided to visit matemwe as we'd heard this was the area to do some diving. Mohammed's is family run and even if matemwe isn't the most exciting area and the beach isn't as great as kendwa it is such a lovely place to stay for a couple of nights. Mohammed is awesome, so nice to sit and chat with him and his family in the evenings watching sunset.
The food is AMAZING.
Still dream about the home made curry. However as the owners make everything from scratch it does take a while to come out, but it's Africa, there's no rush! Worthwhile telling them what you want for dinner earlier in the day though so they aren't too rushed later. We stayed here and then walked down the beach during the day to a hotel with a diving centre. Also used the hotels pool which was fine if you buy lunch/drinks.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Note, at the time of this review, conversion is about 1 USD = Tsh 1575

My friend and I spent 2 nights at Mohammed's Bungalows during the peak season (August). We're both Peace Corps volunteers so for us budget was important. This was the least expensive place I could find on Matemwe Beach. I felt good booking and setting up the reservation. Mohammed speaks decent English (though the rest of his staff does NOT). He helped send a taxi to pick us up from Stone Town (Zanzibar Town) which cost Tsh 50,000. A stay for a double room was 40 USD, converted to shillings was Tsh 64,000. My opinion dropped a bit as we arrived at site. The room is very basic. Lighting isn't great, but the beds are spacious with mosquito nets and fans. Each bungalow has a small porch sitting area and you can hang your wet swim suit on the railings or laundry strings. The room isn't well ventilated and I thought there was an odor inside the room -- though it may have been bug spray to kill mosquitoes. The shower IS NOT hot -- cold water all the way, and the disconnected toilet seat lid left a bit to be desired, especially compared to places in Stone Town for the same price. There is no soap and nowhere nearby to buy toiletries so come prepared with all your essentials! I was turned off because they immediately expected us to pay -- as if, what, we're going to escape when we are in such a remote isolated place on the beach?

Breakfast is included and is pleasant -- fresh fruit, a slightly sweet chapati (a hybrid of a pancake and a crepe), tea or coffee. We actually did not end up eating lunch or dinner there, though the dinners looked pretty good and are definitely fresh (walked into the kitchen to watch them cleaning octopus, peeling potatoes, etc.). We went to a place next door (Dhow Restaurant / Keys Bungalows). If you get dinner at Mohammed's, ask in advance if they plan on cooking what you want so you don't go through the limited menu asking for fish, octopus, chicken, and then are told when you're hungry that nothing is available.

There are nice beach chairs and hammocks to sit in overlooking the beach, which does look like a nice Corona commercial, if you ignore the poop droppings of the local village kids scattered along the sand. A perk of Matemwe Beach is that there is beautiful water/sand and snorkelling off of Mnemba Island, which you can see from the shores of Matemwe. Prices for snorkelling vary and may change based on group size, but we were able to pay Tsh 20,000 per person (group of 9 people total) for basically a whole day out in the water. Times coincide with the tide, so we went out in the morning but had to wait until about 3:00pm to return. Be careful when you snorkel because we noticed there was something in the water that stung our skin (stinging nettle? tiny jelly fish? something from the coral?), just a slight discomfort but nothing that flared up after snorkelling. Again, we booked snorkelling with Dhow Restaurant instead of Mohammed's because the quoted price with Mohammed was 45 USD (which is about Tsh 70,000).

When we were getting ready to leave, we wanted to taxi from Matemwe to Jambiani Beach, and while the distance is about equal from Stone Town to Matemwe as from Matemwe to Jambiani, Mohammed told us the taxi would cost Tsh 100,000 which is absolutely ridiculous. When we asked for another taxi, instead of calling himself, he just gave us the phone number, as if he was too busy to follow up for us. Too busy standing around.

There is nothing bad about this place, but I'm not overly thrilled with my stay, and if I went to Matemwe again, I'd probably shell out a bit more to stay at a nicer place. I would personally not stay here again. I did not think the staff was that friendly, and I felt like they were more concerned about making me pay and then reminding me to check out before 10:00am.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 22, 2012

I spent a long weekend at Mohammed Restaurant and Bungalows in April of this year. As it was rainy season it was only my friend and I staying and Mohammed and his family made us feel very welcome. The bungalows are set on a small plot on the beach. The rooms are basic but clean and comfortable with mosquito nets and a European toilet (these were our tick boxes for anywhere we stayed!) If you want a lush resort this isn't for you but if you are backpacking or travelling around and want a good place to stay in a great location this is perfect! There is a reasonably stocked bar and good restaurant. Breakfast included fresh fruit + pancakes or omlette. When we first saw the dinner menu we weren't too impressed by the choices but try something because it really is tasty! (They just don't elaborate much on what each thing is so it's worth asking about each dish). Mohammed organised a snorkelling trip to the reef near Mnemba Atoll - a must do, soo beautiful there - and it was very reasonably priced. We enjoyed our stay here and also used the facilities of Seles beach bungalows several evenings - as it was low season the bar there was more lively and they did some tasty burgers and garlic bread! We were hesitant to walk back along the beach in the pitch black but the staff at Seles assured us Mohammed would come and pick us up so she put in call and sure enough his wife came to get us that night and the next. That's the kind of service you get there. Recommend!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 4, 2011

Spent a few relaxing days at Mohammed's where you really feel like part of the family. Extremely friendly and great service from the small staff. The food is amazing, especially the prawns coconut. It is basic but a great little place run by a local family so as someone else said the money stays local. You can also just drop in off the beach for food which is all freshly bought and cooked. Would definitely go back.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends