“Fantastic stay!”

Zanzibar Retreat Hotel
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Matemwe
Reviewed August 10, 2014

My friend and I stayed here for the weekend from Dar e Salam and wish we had longer! We caught the ferry over, a driver from the hotel was waiting for us at the ferry terminal and dropped us off at the end of he the weekend. I love the hotel, the beach, the rooms, the pool, the relaxing atmosphere and the excellent quality food. Our time was too short. Karin the assistant manager is the hostess with the mostest! I want to do the dive and snorkel trips next time I go!

Room Tip: The rooms are quite small but more time is spent in the beautiful hammocks, beach lounges, in the ca...
1  Thank Sally O

Reviewed July 29, 2014

We have just returned from Tanzania, having spent 3 months there working as volunteers on a school in the NW Kagera region. As we exited the country, we did what allot of travelers do, and that is to go on a safari, then onto Zanzibar to "wash off the dust" in the Indian ocean. We spent 3 nights in the Zanzibar Retreat Hotel, washing off the dust in the ocean, eating excellent food,which was only out done by the attentive, polite, service by ALL the staff. For me the only thing missing, being an old surfer, was a peeling left reef pass out front. " What the heck", so I just had to relax on the beach and read my book, with my beautiful wife beside me. " Live life " while you have it, it's a gift from God..........Regards Gary & Susan Dillon Australia

Room Tip: Room 2 could be a little noisy if a few people there, as it fronts onto the bar / dining area. If we...
Reviewed July 21, 2014

We travelled as a family of four with two daughters aged 10 and 12 having just done a safari in Northern Tanzania and spent a few days in Stonetown. Zanzibar retreat was just that - an absolute retreat. The ambience of laid back style was very relaxing and what a beautiful beach and pool! The staff led by Karin were faultless and she was undoubtedly a master(mistress?) of her craft. The food was always delicious and meticulously prepared, nothing was too much trouble, and it all seemed to happen with such ease. Very good cocktails too!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank tony w
Reviewed July 18, 2014

Zanzibar Retreat is by far and large one of the best hotels I've stayed at, for numerous reasons.

- Location-location-location: Zanzibar Retreat is located right on Matemwe beach which is a dreamy paradise with white sandy beaches and turquoise water.The tide pulls back during mid day, so swimming in the ocean in the morning or afternoon is best.
- The food is delicious and locally grown which makes it extremely tasty, i loved the fruit and vegetable combo in the salads. The kitchen changes the menu every day so you don't get bored. I'm usually not too fuzzed about fish or seafood, but was amazed at the fish-dishes they created and had the tuna on several occasions.
- The owner was away on holiday so the hotel was run by the assistant manager, Karin. A lovely, hands-on and fun lady who runs a tight ship and facilitates a peaceful and chilled atmosphere. You could tell that she cares deeply about making her guests feel at home and relaxed while staying at the hotel and approached each guest every day asking how they were, such a small gesture goes a long way in making you feel looked after. She assisted with everything from organizing tours to treating a sun-burn --- thumbs up for her, she was great. The waiters, chefs and housekeepers were all attentive and efficient.
- The rooms are medium-sized and have everything you need, with a safe and Zanzibarian chests and closets - looks very authentic and cool.
This is not a party place by any means, which attracts an slightly mature and cool crowd, the hotel is small (13 rooms I believe) and you get to know everyone there. I'd say this place is great if you're traveling solo. Will definitely come back!

Reviewed July 16, 2014

I stayed with my family (wife, 10-year and 4-year kids) for 5 days. The hotel is located just next to the sea shore with white powder-like sands. My children loved to swim and explore the seaside everyday. The hotel provided us some toys for kids to play on sands, so they never get bored. The hotel's swimming pool gave them other attraction.
The atmosphere of hotel was very peaceful. No music and no noise, but just sounds of winds and surfs surrounding you. It is good for "retreat" of your life, so I found many gentle couples and even single adults to stay there. In other words, if you were looking for a disco-tic life, this hotel is not your place. (If you want it, you go to Nunguwi beach on the northern part of the island)
While the atmosphere is good for adults who loves peaceful time, the family with small children (like us) never get isolation. Rather, the hotel staff welcomed us very much and talk to my children, so we (including my children) enjoyed our stay.
The hotel provides a selection of tasty foods including some for kids. For 3-4 days, you never get bored because of good selection. If you need a change of taste, you can find a restaurant attached to a lodge named "Village Kiva" (5 min walk by seaside to North) where you can enjoy simple foods such as pizza, sandwich, etc. (even slight BGM from 80's).
We booked for two rooms because of family size. The rooms and beds are not very big, but you cay stay well because they are kept clean.
I wished staying for more 3-4 days.
I will definitely come back again.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank T M
Reviewed June 24, 2014

Amazing stay. The staff were fantastic - they were thoughtful and wonderfully efficient. They also were not robots. They also were interesting to talk to, but they knew when to leave you in peace. Faultless.

The food was delicious and varied. There is a restaurant just down the beach who's name I can't remember which is worth visiting, but you probably won't eat better than you will here. Being pretty indifferent to fish normally, I was blown away by the fish dishes they cooked at the hotel.

This holiday was completely perfect for me and my girlfriend because we had just come from a safari in Arusha and wanted nothing other than peace and quiet. We came in low season and it was VERY quiet here.

The hotel also offers snorkelling, massages, taxi service and other extras. Having stayed in Jambiani to the south I thought these were all highly overpriced and we didn't indulge in these extras. We did pay about $20 each (vrs. $45 each via the hotel) for a snorkelling trip with a local fisherman, independent to the hotel. While on the one hand, it was amazing and we swam with dolphins, but on the other hand shopping around for deals on the beach brings out the worst in some people and we did come across some unpleasant sellers. Also our 'guide' did not speak a word of English. So I suppose it is quite a personal choice on how you want to play it.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 14, 2014

My friend told me it was a nice place to stay but I didn't expect it to be so great! The hotel is quite small (12 rooms) which gives you a certain exclusivity with the employees and their manager. We were supposed to spend one night and leave early the next morning but felt soooo good that we stayed the whole day without causing any trouble to the staff (apparently). The sand is just a dream and the way they got our room ready/welcome was incredible. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jessica B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Matemwe
ZanziResort
#2 of 6 in Matemwe
Next Paradise Boutique Resort
Next Paradise Boutique Resort
#1 of 6 in Pwani Mchangani

Been to Zanzibar Retreat Hotel? Share your experiences!