“Beautiful place!”

Langi Langi Beach Bungalows
Ranked #14 of 19 Hotels in Nungwi
Reviewed March 9, 2014

We stayed in a sea view room with an awesome ocean view, loved it. The room was very clean, spacious with AC. Definitely best mid budget place to stay in Nungwi. The beach here is incredible and whilst not so tidal as the east coast was slightly rocky at low tide but this may be seasonal. There are a lot of hawkers but all good natured and a polite lack of interest is enough for them lo leave you be.
Good opportunity for terrific snorkelling close to the private island Mnemba cheaply. We paid 20$ each for 4 hrs boat/ snorkel including lunch, arranged and departed from beach in front of hotel.

Room Tip: definitely ask for sea view!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 4, 2014

My boyfriend and I traveled to Langi Langi Beach Bungalows as part of our adventure with Ahsante Tours. When we arrived, we noticed the front staff wasn't very personable, and we also had a hard time getting our room. They asked for my name, and they didn't have any record of it in their books. After giving them my name, my boyfriend's name, my tour company's name, my tour contact's name, and my trip itinerary from my tour company, they still seemed to not have any record of anything. Without saying much, they had me fill out a registration card (not knowing if we even had a room), and then told us our room was not yet ready and that we'd have to wait. It was 1pm. We sat down on one of their couches adjacent to the dining area for just over an hour with our luggage, and nobody had come yet to let us know our room was ready. My boyfriend walked over to the front desk to check in on things, and they said our room was now ready, and they would show us the way.

Our room was beautiful and had a balcony overlooking the deck and ocean. There was air conditioning and hot showers, which was great. The actual hotel is nice and relaxing, and we had a great time just relaxing on our balcony and walking along the beautiful beach.

I was very happy with our room and with the complementary breakfast we had every morning. However, I was a bit disappointed with the staff. It seemed that they were very busy, and they weren't very personable (ex- not asking how we're doing, smiling, saying hello, etc.). They were helpful if we needed anything, but they seemed difficult to approach at times.

All in all, I did enjoy my stay at Langi Langi Beach Bungalows. The room was great, the atmosphere was relaxing, and the beach was gorgeous. However, if I were to come to Nungwi Beach again, I may try out another nearby hotel since the staff didn't seem quite as hospitable as expected. We are very laid back and are not hard to please.

We traveled to Tanzania in January/February 2014.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank swhitty
Reviewed February 28, 2014

We had sea view rooms here and that meant that we were above the Indian Ocean. There is a long stretch of white sand and turquoise waters - a haven for beach lovers! The room was large, air conditioned and had a comfortable bed with a deck off of it that I enjoyed each and every day. Sitting out there in the morning just people and ocean watching was wonderful. I will say that it was very quiet when we were there so no signs of the party atmosphere that some people have mentioned. Maybe because we were there at the start of low season? Anyway, really nothing to complain about. The food was good but service slow. It was a nice touch to receive a free bowl of soup a couple of nights while we were waiting for our dinners. Beautiful sitting out over the ocean every night to eat your dinner. Not my favourite hotel in Africa as we did not find any of the personnel particularly friendly but a good 4 night stop on our way home.

Room Tip: We were very happy we chose a sea view room. We went down the stairs, around a corner and were on th...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for a week !! Manager Seelay is fantastic , make us feel welcome! Had a birthday table flowers and cake ! Great restaurant nd is always full !!! Stayed in sea front room above restaurant and all was very nice . Given them our 10 stars for excellent service!!!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 922ellenis
Reviewed February 2, 2014

This is a great place. The resort and the location. We were slightly put off of visiting Nuwagi Beach area as the write up in the Lonely Planet suggested it was a party beach. It was nothing like the picture they painted. Yes there are places (bars) you could go if that's the scene you wanted but it's not what you should think of the area as a whole. Plenty of more chilled options than party. I gather if the party scene is what you want (Full Moon Parties etc) then head to Kendra Beach just south.

The rooms at Langi Langi are nice, clean and tidy. Very much complete. We stayed here on two occasions. The first room our fridge wasn't working properly but that wasn't a major issue but all the other rooms we tried were all good. The rooms are attended to daily and bedding changed every other day. We had a Pool View room which was great for our first visit. We returned a week later as we enjoyed the place and Nungwi Beach area but on this occasion we were able to go for the sea view rooms. We tried many of these rooms as we relocated daily. This wasn't the hotels issue or poor planning, it was down to us not booking in advance and wanting the sea view for our final days. Yes for sure it was a pain to pack everyday but we pretty much did all the rooms in the block. Well two on the 2nd floor, the only one on the top floor (3rd) and two on the 1st floor. There are ground floor options too but we didn't try them. All the rooms are different really but I think our favourites were Bikhole (2nd floor), lovely and spacious internal layout and the top floor room (3rd) for the view, Tumbatu.

The best views are found the higher you go. Obvious I guess!

Breakfast was included and there are many options to go for. We negotiated a lower rate than the one on the website. Competition is strong in Nungwi so have a go, but we found this place to be great value for what you get and we've been to a few places on this trip.

All the public areas are well looked after and there's a great sun deck to be abused during the day if you want to avoid sand or the tide is high. When the tide is high it crashes into the rocks below where the hotel is built so it's not an option to sunbathe there at times. You can walk either north or south (Next to the Z hotel as a reference point) for 5mins to enjoy the beach all day.

The lunch and dinner served here we thought was very good. We tried a few other places, but for similar money we decided to stay at Langi. The quality and quantity of food was better than the other places we tried. It's true the table service can be slower than the standards at your home so factor that in and go with the flow. And also be prepared to be proactive and call the waiters over, or even pop inside the building to get attention. You could stress yourself out waiting to be served and it's not that hard, and far less stressful, to place your order “almost” yourself. And that is absolutely no reason not to eat here. It didn't bother us in the slightest. Just needed to alter our mind set a little. The staff here do work hard as you will see, in fact some might do about 12hr + days so a little bit of down time when it's not one of the main eating periods can be understood.

A taxi from the airport to Langi is quoted at $50 from the hotel but you could barging a price at the Airport for about $35 and also the same outside the hotel up the driveway a little near a large open area that you’ll see taxis parked up.

The longer we stayed the stronger the bond with all the staff. Would return no doubt, and totally recommend!

Room Tip: All the rooms are different really but I think our favourites were Bikhole (2nd floor), lovely and s...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Uncle-Jayo
Reviewed January 29, 2014 via mobile

This was a superb find. Gorgeous, air conditioned standard room (garden view), stunning pool, divine food and perfect location. Beware if you're self-driving to get there, as all places in Nungwi are a bit hidden. Look forward to staying there again.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Loved my stay here! Stayed here for a few days after climbing Kilimanjaro and it was bliss. The first night we had a garden view room which was a little dark and disappointing (this was on the only room available). The next 3 nights we had the sea view room which is definitely worth paying extra for! The room was very spacious, clean, quiet and the view is amazing! The food at the hotel restaurant is excellent (try the seafood and the beef masala) and Sele the owner is very friendly and hands-on (he often works in the kitchen at the restaurant). If I go back to Zanzibar, I would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Go for the sea view rooms! Definitely worth paying a bit extra for!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple