“Beautiful scenery and amazing food”

Langi Langi Beach Bungalows
Ranked #15 of 19 Hotels in Nungwi
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We stayed in LangiLangi for about a week and loved it! The scenery was excellent (we stayed in one of the Marhaba suites, so the balcony overlooked the sea), the services really good and the food was just delicious. Better than every other restaurant around that area.

We went there during Ramadan, so keep in mind that there is no lunch served, but there is regular breakfast and dinner served.

I definitely recommend it to whoever wants to visit Nungwi - it's just excellent!

Room Tip: I have not tried the rooms overlooking the garden, but I would definitely recommend booking in advan...

Reviewed August 5, 2013

After a short stay here in 2010 when a number of things didn’t go to plan, I decided to give Langi Langi another chance, which I did in 2011. I stayed for two nights in a Seaview Suite and loved it. I have just been back to Nungwi and stayed again, this time for three nights. It was the ideal end to two weeks of safari.

The suites I have stayed in are large but they do vary in size. They are quite simply furnished but very clean, comfortable and fairly quiet. Most importantly, the air conditioning worked beautifully. The views are beautiful from the balcony.

The pool is a good size and the trees and shrubs surrounding it keep it quite private. I spent quite a bit of time relaxing here in the shade.

I think the restaurant has consistently had the best food in Nungwi over the past few years. The service is much better here than in most other restaurants in the area. I don’t eat seafood but a number of people in our group said the restaurant served some of the best seafood they had ever eaten.

The staff are generally very quiet and reserved but definitely not unfriendly. Hamis at reception is very helpful and Sele is always interesting to have a chat to. My friend celebrated her birthday during our stay and the restaurant staff were very happy to bake her a cake as a surprise.
The hotel had just re-opened for the season and I think our group of 12 may have been the only guests, at least for the first night.

I stayed in a Garden View Room on my first visit. It was fine, but after experiencing the Seaview Suite I would find it hard to go back to the Garden View, only because the Sea View was so nice.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kellie W
Reviewed August 4, 2013

What a wonderful time we had, a real Zanzibari experience. The hotel is one of the few owned by a local. The room was large and clean. Comfortable bed. What you have to remember is that this is not a polished and glitzy hotel. But if you want a great base to explore the island this this is it.
Clean linen, room was meticulously cleaned each morning.
The Resturant offers a Swahili menu, a Zanzibar menu and a western menu. There are no spirits sold on the premises, but a good bottle or five of Italian Pino Grigio was guzzled down with a hot prawn curry. If you are going to try the peri peri chicken, be warned when they say its hot!!!

After a good day exploring nothing better than sitting on the old teak opium bed, curl up with a good book and watch the world pass you by, slowly!

Breakfast is a bit of a disappointment, pancakes, fruit, eggs and pastries are on offer.
Local coffee to really kick start your day. But not what I personally would like.
Maybe a better selection of fruit and maybe some protein other than beans would be good.

There is quite a lot to do in the area, from the turtle sanctuary to a massage on the beach. Local beach bar Cholos offers an interesting evening with an early evening crowd consisting of mostly locals and a few tourist. Later it gets a little wild with dance music and load chatting. I thought it was going to disturb my wife and my slumber. But instead we went and joined the activities and found ourselves swaying off to bed at 2am, not like me at all, but good fun!

Room Tip: You must book a sea facing room, watch the dhows pass buy, and the sunset. We had a room called bik...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PMyson
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We stayed at Langi Langi for a week in July and had a great experience. The garden view room was charming and very clean. A maid came every day to clean the room and bring fresh towels. She also changed the bedding every other day and would leave flowers for us on the bed. The air conditioning and fan helped keep us cool and bug-free. The only downside was the shower, which was very hard to get on a decent temperature (either really hot or cold). The staff was very friendly and helpful. We especially enjoyed chatting with Rasta, the owner and chef in the restaurant. He always had something to say to make us laugh and when we returned to Stone Town, everyone we spoke to knew of Rasta and his excellent hotel.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Booking the hotel room was a bit of a mess...It took a while to get in touch with the booking agent and we were a little put off that we had to set up bank trasnfers to a place in Dubai when we were booking for Zanzibar. But! when we got there everything was correct! Also The drive up to the hotel after you reach the city of Nungwi was a little disconcerting. True definition of African roads in a small crowded village. But! once you arrive at the hotel all worries disappeared. It is gated to make sure of safety. The rooms where beautiful on the outside and the inside. The bathroom had a full toilet and spa feel to it. Each room had a balcony that was perfect to relax on (we highly recommend you get an ocean side room). The restaurant had daily specials and great choices. The hotel did have ocean side lounging chairs with umbrellas. But we did have an issue with the fact that people claimed chairs in the morning and left their stuff on the chairs all day so that the chairs were all taken by people who were not around for hours and we never got a chair until our last day n the trip. The pool leaves something to be desired....but the good thing is that Langi Langi is on a stretch of about 4-5 side by side resorts that were safe and opento walk to a from. These other hotels offered different food selections, 25$ hour long massages and scuba. Be aware that Langi Langi's kitchen is not open all day (7:30-10 for breakfast 12-2 for lunch, etc....) They had room service daily. The staff was very friendly! Rasta man is a true sales/hospitality man. The hotel does have wifi but only right by the restaurant and they will not give you a oassword very freely. Hit for if you stay here, bring your phone to rasta man and he will personally put in the password. All in all my husband and I had a great honeymoon at Langi Langi and it exceeded expectations!

Reviewed July 14, 2013

We booked one of the suites at the front of the complex and we were very happy that we did. It was spacious and had an unforgettable view over the ocean.

The breakfast’s included a wide and plentiful selection of standard fare. However, the evening meals were absolutely fantastic and some of the dishes that we ate were amongst the best for flavour that I have tasted.

The staff were always helpful and extremely courteous. On several occasions the manager went out of his way (and well beyond what was expected) to make us feel special and was always looking to provide us with new dishes which we might like. He also provided what I thought was very accurate and honest advice about local activities and places to visit.

While staying at the Langi Langi, we encountered a few days were the wind was blowing and so retreated from the front deck/beach to the pool. Apart from being well sheltered the pool was very clean and lay in a well kept garden. The sun deck at the front was small but adequate, especially with the beaches being available close by.

If you are looking for somewhere to chill out and eat good food in a beautiful part of the world, I would highly recommend the Langi Langi.

Room Tip: A suite on the upper floors of the newer building take a lot of beating for location and view.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Russell S
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We deliberately did not book for a 5 star experience as we wanted to feel the vibe of the Zanzibari people and hospitality. When we arrived we weren't sure what to expect arriving through a back street/non-descript approach and somewhat dark and low key reception area. Things only got better from the great hospitality from Saeed, Sele and the staff to the comfortable rooms and relaxed atmosphere. Not too big to overwhelm you and small enough to feel a sense of belonging. We really enjoyed our 5 day stay relaxing in Nungwi area at Langi Langi. Thanks Saaed and Sele and look forward to seeing your new reception area!! James & Beth

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family