We stayed here for 1 week after a Tanzanian safari (like most people we met!!). We booked through Pure Zanzibar, who also arranged our transfers for us as the hotel is 1hr north from the main airport.
We were picked up in a nice clean car, provided with water and flannels, and driven (briskly but safely) to La Gemma. Drinks provided on arrival and swift check in, before taken by golf buggy to our room. Our room was lovely and clean, and had fresh flower arrangments scattered around the room. We were on the upper level, furthest from the beach but closer to the restaurant.
We left small tips every day for the housemaids and had different flower arrangements daily. We did next to nothing for our time there, apart from one excursion to Prison Island to see the giant tortoises, arranged through the hotel.
All the other times we just laid by the pool or beach ready our books or dozing - no problems with beach boys and security guides patrol the beach, and it is on an upper level away from the shore.
We were AI so went to the main restuarant for breakfast and dinner and also most lunches. Food selection was good and although some things were repeated there was enough selection for it not to matter. Water and local beers were included in the AI, plus also the African night on Friday nights.
We ate one night at the pizza restaurant wihich is inlcuded in the AI but you are asked to book - no need really as we were the only ones there!! Had drinks at the sunset restaurant a few nights and was very quiet.
Didn't use the spa or gym area (why would you - you are on holiday!!)
Yes there were a few occasions when the electricity went off but nothing to prevent us having a great, relaxing time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set within exotic tropical gardens and water features inviting guests to enjoy the pristine view over the Indian Ocean, Diamonds La Gemma dell' Est is located on the north-western shores of the magical spice island of Zanzibar. This enchanting, luxurious and environmentally friendly resort is famous for its magnificent beach and large wharf built onto the open waters of the Indian Ocean and stretches out towards the sunset. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Priceline, Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Agoda, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Diamonds La Gemma dell' Est reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Diamonds La Gemma Dell` Est Hotel Zanzibar
- La Gemma Dell Est Zanzibar
- Gemma Del Est
- Diamonds La Gemma Dell' Est Zanzibar Island/Nungwi