My fiancé and I decided to get married in Zanzibar and thought the Gemma Del Est to be the perfect location.
When we arrived we were not disappointed. The hotel and its grounds were beautiful. I think you would have to be extremely picky not to rate this hotel highly – granted the entertainment in the bar was a bit lacklustre but who needs a cheesy western singer anyway? The African Village was much more to my taste and made a fantastic evening. Even enjoying the peace and quiet in the Seafood restaurant or sipping coffee in the Moroccan Cafe whilst listening to the beats of North Africa made for a delicious way to pass time. There was aerobics in the pool every day and swahili lessons were offered on the beach.
The spa was awesome - I had the best massage that I have ever had and spent a good amount of time in the Jacuzzi bath room where I was served the most delicious ginger tea - all at a very reasonable price and a much needed treat on the morning of the wedding.
Our wedding planner Mr Guruh was amazing and could not do enough for us - our wedding was beautiful and personalised and far surpassed our expectations.
All of the staff were really friendly and helpful (they all spoke good english) and made our stay very special indeed. The restaurant staff even sang for us the day after the wedding.
The food was good – much, much better than what received in Kenya (we went on safari after the wedding). There was loads of choice and I really appreciated having my fish grilled in front of me! In another review somebody mentioned the lack of chicken breast... I had a very tasty chicken curry full of meat, which is quite impressive considering how skinny the chickens are in Zanzibar! There was plentiful fresh fruit and lots of tasty salads.
The shop contains a few nice things, but is quite expensive. If you’re a shopping fan, head down the beach to haggle with local traders – Rocco’s shop provided especially good deals! Everything was much cheaper in Zanzibar than Kenya.
To sum up - for us, the Gemma Del Est was paradise.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set within exotic tropical gardens and water features inviting guests to enjoy the pristine view over the Indian Ocean, Diamonds La Gemma dell' Est is located on the north-western shores of the magical spice island of Zanzibar. This enchanting, luxurious and environmentally friendly resort is famous for its magnificent beach and large wharf built onto the open waters of the Indian Ocean and stretches out towards the sunset. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Jovago.com, Hotels.com, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Diamonds La Gemma dell' Est reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Diamonds La Gemma Dell` Est Hotel Zanzibar
- La Gemma Dell Est Zanzibar
- Gemma Del Est
- Diamonds La Gemma Dell' Est Zanzibar Island/Nungwi