“really relaxing stay”

Ranked #15 of 17 Hotels in Nungwi
UK
“really relaxing stay”
Reviewed February 14, 2012

We had such a relaxing time at the Flame tree cottages, just what we needed!

Having your breakfast served on your terrace was lovely, although after the 3rd day I'd had enough of eggs. great selection of fruit. staff were all really friendly. it was very quiet when we were there so enjoyed the pool to ourselves most of the day.

the food was ok - we ate there on evening but chose to wander along the beach for the rest of our stay.

good location - at the end of the beach so nice and quiet, but close enough to bars and restaurants. The room itself was fine - nothing to write home about but nice and clean.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GunnettUK

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Slovakia
Reviewed February 3, 2012

Flame Tree Cottages is very nice and peaceful place. It has beautiful dense gardens, which give you best time to relax. As regards the location it was at the end of the Nungwi public area with bars, so Flame Tree was very quiet place with not long walk to any Nunwgi bars.

The owners are very nice and reply to your emails with all the answers you write for. I chose the cottage – Hibiscus via email, confirmed it couple of times to be sure I will not get something else. We came and we were given another cottage, but not the same or worse level, but the honeymoon suit! So we were surprised and afraid what the mistake is this. We “complained” immediately to the guy, who showed us the suit, but he did not know anything about, just that this will be our suit, but he advised us to wait for the owner to clarify the situation. We thought something had to happen to our booked cottage and we were given something better, but we thought it will be for one night or something like this and then we will have to move, what was not comfortable with us to move every day to another cottage, or we will be asked to pay higher price. But the owner came almost immediately after and explained they had to paint some other cottages, so they had to do new guests cottage distribution or something like this, so they decided to give us better option – the honeymoon suit Desert Rose on the upper floor of the cottage with the sea and also garden view for the same price as we agreed on previously booked cottage. It was great!!! We were absolutely satisfied with such the guest treatment, because we travel quite a lot and not every time something like this happened to us. We were used to get the same or worse level.

Our apt. Desert Rose was spacious and very comfortable. It was furnished by very nice like antiques furniture what we like the most, with big and fine bed with mosquito net. Our room had repellent spray. We especially like the veranda with hammock, the bed (we asked our staff to move one bed, which was in our hall to move it to veranda and they did not have any problems with this even this bed was for normal sleeping) and eating table. The washbasin was not in the bathroom, bud in the room where you sleep (there is also small kitchenette) – but we did not have any problem with this. However, the bathroom needs to be renewed. The room had IC (not noisy) and verada fan. This apt. is on the first floor, but we had all world insects and reptiles there – so big ants I have never seen and once, we found the small lizard there (no problem for us at all).

Food: breakfast was very tasty; really, I have never eaten such the good pancakes! However as regards lunch or dinner food, it was big portion, it looked delicious and great, but when you tried it had no taste. It seems to us like the cook did not use any of spicy, pepper or even salt.

The staff: from morning breakfast through cleaning till asking for food or drinks – very very lazy (or just it was so big heat that I would not work also). Just do not ask them for anything or wait really long time not only to get drink etc. but even to find somebody to ask :-). But this is probably everywhere on Zanzibar. But this is probably everywhere on Zanzibar. The owners tried their bests, but even they would replace these staffs it looked that they would get another but the same or even worse.

But the gardens, pool with sun beds and sunbathing area was very great. Everything was hidden behind the trees, so you feel bit privacy in Flame Tree.

Just be careful the Flame Tree was very comfortable hotel, but located on Nungwi beach, which is very tiny when the hide is up. Actually not tiny, there in no beach at all when tide is up. And when the tide is up you can not be directly on the beach. We did not like the Nugwni beach because of this and in such the case you can stay in the best hotel of the world, still the whole experience will be affected by this. If I came one more time to Zabzibar, I would definitely choose another beach.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SepsiSlovakia
Reviewed January 27, 2012

I have stayed at the Flame Tree Cottages for 9 days on the beggining of January 2012.
The personal was very lazy.
The staff and the management of the Flame Tree Cottages – very poor!
The location is very good near the beaches bars area.
The breakfast was poor (eggs, eggs and eggs), except all the fresh fruits and juice.
Waiting time for food and drinks on the inside restaurant: 20-40 minutes.
The main rule in the restaurant: all drinks are served not to cold (let’s say warm) in order to not affect the tourist throttle! LOL
Every day the personal make cleaning of the rooms and sometimes they put towels, soap and water, but usually NOT!
Best things to do: snorkeling, fishing, diving and, if you have enough time, safari in Tanzania (Serengeti, Ngorongoro,etc)

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank cretu1957
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 8, 2012

Whilst we didn't stay here, our party preferred to use the facilities here rather than our own hotel. The restaurant was lovely with excellent fresh food and plenty of variety served each night and good honest prices for the trips and other facilities. We were never disappointed and it put our much more expensive nearby hotel to shame in terms of what could be delivered at a reasonable price! This was where we would have chosen to stay if we had known...

Room Tip: Cant comment on the room as we didnt actually stay here but used the facilities what we saw, we real...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed January 1, 2012

I have stayed at the Flame Tree Cottages twice, first in November 2009 and then again in June 2010. The service is very personal and excellent, the enviroment is friendly, the staff is well trained and the place is very well kept. Calm, private, wonderful and I enjoyed every minute.

Room Tip: Rose Cottage is one of the first they built on the property and it has a seaview. Also the honeymoon...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
san francisco
Reviewed December 11, 2011

I stayed three nights at the flame tree in frangipani cottage. As a solo female traveler this was more than enough. The room was huge. There are two single beds pushed together so not ideal for a couple. There was a safe and huge sitting room. While this was furthest from the water, it's not a terrible walk. I didn't stay much in my room but more on the hammocks by the water or walking the beach.

Service was good overall except when I arrived no one was around and I was left in the welcome area wondering if I was going to be taken care of. I was.

Seif was very friendly and accommodating, although was a bit dissappointed that I didn't dine at the on site restaurant as I found myself out with friends down the beach.

I recommend the snorkeling trip, but found it much cheaper from the vendors down the beach.

You really can't go wrong here. It's very mellow and laid back. And zanzibar. I would stay here again!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank ctpeachinsf
UK
Reviewed October 25, 2011

We stayed five nights at Flame Tree. I thought the accommodation was really good, perhaps the only improvements I would suggest would be a safe in the bungalow (but must say there was a safe available in the owner's house) and possibly a suitcase stand would have been nice. Having breakfast on your own verandah was so laid back. Food was good and because of the good food and the restaurant setting just beside the beach, we actually ate at the Flame Tree all the time. The beach was just there but if you preferred the swimming pool, that was there as well - what more could you want? If you preferred to try somewhere else for eating, you could wander along the beach and there were other cafes/restaurants quite close.

My daughter's case didn't arrive with her and when Seif, the owner found out, he was going into Stone Town and made a detour to the airport and found the case and sent it back to Flame Tree. That was really appreciated.

We would recommend doing the snorkelling trip just off Mnemba Island, very enjoyable, with a brilliant packed lunch.

I would definitely return. I loved my holiday in Zanzibar and if I went to Nungwi, I would book at Flame Tree Cottages.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family