“Disappointing”

Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Nungwi
Birmingham
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2007

Spent a few days in this hotel and didn't find it to be as friendly as other hotels in Tanzania or Zanzibar.

Stayed July 2007
1 Thank Dan R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2007

My husband and I loved every minute in this beautiful small resort. The grounds were well maintained and the buildings were incredible! I particularly loved the hammocks on the beach and the endless amount of soft seating throughout the resort so you could relax in the comfortable weather. The room was nicely decorated and it was the largest bed I have ever seen - I think it was the size of two double beds - HUGE! I cannot say enough about the food and the service! The dinners were outstanding! The workers were so friendly and it was great having conversations with them - one guy gave us his email because he was such a fan of Manchester football and wanted to keep in touch with us in case he came to the UK. Our biggest surprise was that we arrived late in the afternoon which happened to be my husband's birthday. That night at dinner we heard a group of workers start singing a happy birthday song while carrying a homemade cake. They walked to every table, singing, and acting like they were going to sit the cake down at each table....finally ending at our table and placing it in front of my husband! They noticed his birthdate from the check-in paperwork and took the initiative to celebrate it! Wow! This would be an excellent retreat after a safari - I recommend you stay here!

• Liked — Everything - service, beauty, food!
  • Disliked — Getting there - long trip on bad roads, but it was worth it.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2007

Just got back from 6 nights at Ras Nungwi and had a fabulous time. The reviews about the food are spot - it is excellent. Twice a week there are also generous buffet dinners with lobster, tiger prawns, etc.

The beach is postcard-perfect and the advantage of a resort this size is that you don't have to go out at dawn to secure a sun lounger.

Overall, the service was mixed. I found the staff at the restaurant and manning the beach to be excellent, but reception staff to be less competent and less warm. Also, the very first thing we were asked to do upon arrival was to pay the full balance of the booking. Having already paid 50% at the time of booking, I found this quite surprising and it left a bad taste in my mouth. I don't like to pay thousands of dollars upfront without yet having received a minute of service-

We stayed in the Superior Chalet, which has a lovely huge zanzibari bed. For just the final night, we had to switch to a superior deluxe chalet and I really don't think the price difference is warranted. In fact, our Superior chalet was actually a better room with a better bed.

All in all, it's a beautiful place with excellent food and overall, good service. The outstanding factor is definitely the food and wine selection. I would however point out that it's not cheap and the impression we got from others who know the island is that you can get something comparable for much less. To clarify on the cost of drinks, it's true a glass of wine is $5 but other cocktails like a mojito or margharita are definitely more like $10.

The massages are excellent and at $25 an hour, are more reasonably priced.

• Liked — beach and food
  • Disliked — management
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hoffs17
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2007

After having spent a week on safari in Tanzania and a couple of nights in the wonderful StoneTown, we were really looking forward to just under a week of calm. After a pretty bad car trip due to the bad roads, the hotel was a welcome sight.
The local staff were very pleasant but the actual management staff took a few days to warm up -they had just opened for the new season and seemed somewhat distracted. The two most personable were Etienne and the guy in charge of the dive centre (from Norwich)....

The food in the hotel was superb -4 courses every night and absolutley spot on.

For us, staying in the hotel was just not enough as we like to wander around the surrounding area and mix with the locals.
The beach was truly amazing and comparable to those I've only seen in Mauritius. If you make the effort and walk the 30 mins into Nungwi Village, you can have the most amazing pilau rice in what is no more than a hut but is incredibly flavoursome and you get to see the other, equally stunning parts of Nungwi as well as mix with the locals. The beach, the village and the food is what made the stay pleasurable.

On checkout and with Karen on the morning duty, they simply calculated the bill and left us to leave -I thought that Karen may have come back out of the office to say goodbye -there was no one else checking out and it made me think that they really aren't interested. So whilst we had a good time, the lack of warmth seemed to stand out on the last day.

• Liked — Location, food and cleanliness of rooms
  • Disliked — Isolation and lack of warmth from senior staff
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mila225
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2007

This is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. It's like being in paradise. There's not that much to do other than sit by the beach or pool or pay for a scuba/snorkel excursion. I wandered off the property, but there's not much to see. It a very impoverished area.

For Africa, the food was fantastic (you just can't compare to the Western World). My only word of warning is that this is a very romantic place, and not good for a single traveler.

• Liked — beautiful resort
  • Disliked — very lonely for the solo traveler
  • Stayed September 2003
2 Thank VC1850
Hong Kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2007

Having been to most of the in-spots around the world I decided to try somewhere new. I didn't quite know what to expect as the pictures are never the same as reality but I was most surprised to see that they actually are. The place is beautiful! Set in a quiet part of the island with well appointed air-conditioned bungalows dotted around the landscape, it felt as if everything was close-by but also that private space wasn't sacrificed at all. The whole atmosphere was relaxed with management staff being attentive but not intrusive as some other establishments are. The local staff are pleasant and obliging. The food was excellent too - and I like the fact that there was only one buffet offered during our 5 night stay - it's nice to be served when on holiday. We did snorkelling (wonderful marine life) and went on a sunset dhow-cruise with the obligatory bottle of champagne (highly recommended)! I managed to catch some of the footie on the wide-screen TV in a separate TV room (there are no phones or televisions in the rooms - brilliant!) while my girlfriend had a full-body massage on the beach. I cannot recommend this place enough if all you want to do is step out of life for a few days!

• Liked — Unique location. Very relaxing and peaceful.
  • Disliked — Rather slow checkout.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Globetrotting_Ed
Haslemere
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2007

After a wonderful but dusty safari in Tanzania, I joined my daughter and her family at this lovely small hotel in Zanzibar. We really enjoyed the food and great wine list. All the staff were so friendly and helpful and made us feel really at home. The design of the hotel was beautiful and elegant but still very much in keeping with the natural surroundings. I had a sublime massage in the cabana on the beach listening to the ocean.

My grandchildren had a ball of a time and really enjoyed our deep sea fishing trip. My son in law was especially pleased because he caught his first sailfish which the chef prepared for our dinner. Delicious!

Our accommodation was in 2 superior delux chalets on the sea front and couldn't have been nicer.

I would thoroughly recommend this hotel for a relaxing and pampering holiday.

• Liked — Small and intimate size. Personalised service.
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank kdouglasholiday
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nungwi
The Z Hotel Zanzibar
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,477 reviews
Zanzi Resort
Zanzi Resort
#4 of 167 in Zanzibar Island

Been to Ras Nungwi Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!