Tripadvisor
Nungwi
2,312 results
All reviews aqua restaurant carnivorous restaurant jacuzzi suite gosht teppanyaki restaurant gala dinner bar manager our honeymoon all inclusive package a la carte restaurants special thanks beautiful resort infinity pool spa treatments beach bar stone town african night
Selected filters
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Lovely hotel,great food and very kind staff. We loved the garden our room opened into heaven and walking through paradise, a joy to be here. Hope to be back soon. Merci Mr. Narayan, Maria in Steakhouse, Special thanks to Ronaldo for your assistance to me and my wife you make our stay so unforgettable man.. A very good and kind person, Salute to you, we will miss you man! you are amazing my friend, we will see you again next year. From me and my wife Adrienne thank you RIU Palace Zanzibar. Merci!

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank stephen_46A
RiuHotelsandResorts, Online Reputation Manager at Hotel Riu Palace Zanzibar, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear stephen_46A,

We are glad you chose to stay at Hotel Riu Palace Zanzibar. Your positive feedback is gratefully received! It brings us great joy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.

It was a pleasure having you staying with us, hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the near future!

Wish you all the best in the meanwhile.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Very nice hotel, great pool, rooms and service, quiet, clean and modern.
Nicest people ever, Eitin-bar manager. Edgar-d.j. chef Ronaldo, Rashid- entertainment .Kasum- reception manager.
Sure be back!!

Date of stay: January 2020
Trip type: Traveled with friends

Dear 991irenae,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience! We truly appreciate your wonderful feedback!

It was our pleasure to take care of you and we are looking forward to seeing you again in some of our worldwide hotels.

Best regards,

Reviewed January 18, 2020

Hi !
We have stayed at RIU Zanzibar for two weeks. All we can say is that it is the best RIU we have experienced. Staff was kind and friendly. They will bring you the heaven if you ask them for it. We definitely recommend this resort. Food was great. The beach there is beautiful with many options to relax.

Date of stay: January 2020
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with riu.com
4  Thank reny222
RiuHotelsandResorts, Online Reputation Manager at Hotel Riu Palace Zanzibar, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Reny,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Riu Palace Zanzibar and for your lovely review.

We are delighted you had a great stay with us and that you recommend us. Our goal is the wellbeing of our guests through great food, attentive staff and comfortable facilities so it is always good to know we are achieving our goals.

Hopefully we will welcome you back soon.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed January 15, 2020

Flydubai from Dubai to Zanzibar wasn’t a great experience and after travelling almost 24 hours, we were exhausted when we arrived in Zanzibar. We were through the airport quite quickly after purchasing our visa. I pre-booked Eddie’s Taxis and Said was waiting for us when we left the airport. Such a fantastic bloke, you must ask for him!
70 minutes transfer time but it was an opportunity to see the Island too.
When we arrived at the Riu Palace, our room wasn’t ready so we went for breakfast. We had upgraded our room and when we opened the door we were not disappoint – the view was spectacular (Room 240). The rooms are spacious and very clean, with a mini bar included! We travelled for my partner’s birthday and were welcomed with a cake and champagne in the room!

The resort is on a slight hill, I’m not the fittest but managed to walk around no problem, if you aren’t so mobile, staff will arrange a lift on one of the buggies to where you want to go. There is a pool by reception, we didn’t use it but it seemed quite quiet. We used the infinity pool near bar Ginger, views are amazing and the pool staff kept you hydrated all day, nothing at all was a problem (thank you Lucy and Jacob). There is a great selection of drinks too and also sandwiches, cakes incase you didn’t want breakfast/lunch in the restaurant. There is another small pool which is very quiet beside the two A la carte restaurants.
Evening entertainment was excellent – I have to say the shows were really good with some very talented performers.

There is a small beach with sun loungers down from the main pool with gorgeous views but people seemed to put towels on in a morning and they were empty more of the day. However, the main beach was spectacular. You will see security at the beach and beside the steps up to the hotel but I honestly didn’t see or hear of any problems.

The restaurants are also amazing, three to choose from, you need to book with reception for two but even if you just get to use them once it is a lovely experience. The main buffet restaurant had a wide variety to accommodate all palates, I’m mostly veggie and didn’t struggle at all. They will do whatever they can to ensure you get what you want. The service from the waiting staff is first class too, all very friendly and want to help. We did tip but they were not looking for tips which I found unusual as the Caribbean, America etc. is all about tipping. However, I do think the staff deserve a little tip as you’ll see that you are getting a great service. The Sauvignon Blanc wine is gorgeous btw.

There is a gift shop at the resort, the staff were so friendly and helpful. I did purchase some gifts from there. It was open from around 9am – 9pm and wasn’t so much more expensive than some of the shops in Stone town.

The Spa is really nice and a real treat however it is very expensive and something that would be used more if there were some offers available.

The beach is similar to the Maldives, the water is crystal clear, the sand lovely and white. Yes there are beach sellers but a polite ‘no thank you’ will suffice and you won’t be bothered again.

We were worried about mosquito bites but we didn’t get one bite! Housekeeping came to turn down the bed each night and spray the room but as I say, we didn’t get any bits which was a bonus.

Rooms are all very spacious and cleaned every day!

We took a trip to Stone town (with Eddies) and did a walking tour, then we took a boat to Prison Island which were both great experiences. We didn’t feel threatened at all and walked around safely. Just like any other city, you just have to be sensible.

I can’t speak highly enough of the staff at this resort, from the General Manager, garden staff, restaurant staff, bar staff, concierge etc., the accommodation was first class, the location was spectacular and we will certainly be returning in the very near future.

A massive thank you to the Management who were exceptional and go that extra mile to ensure guests have a wonderful experience, if there is anything they can do to make your stay better you only have to ask. Mr. Hamaldi (General Manager) and Narayan Jadhav, Assistant Manager were extremely hands on and you will see them walking around the resort/restaurants/bars all day to ensure everything is ok.
Please ask if you have any questions, I would highly recommend the Riu Palace Zanzibar!!

We have stayed in many other Riu Palace hotels around the Caribbean and have to say this didn’t disappoint at all and we will definitely be back.

9  Thank Tracy D

Dear Tracy,

It is great to hear you had a first class stay with us!

We appreciate you taking the time and especially letting us know our team provided you with warm genuine hospitality.

It would be great to welcome you again and we will strive to make your future stays just as great as this one!

Reviewed January 15, 2020 via mobile

We stayed at Riu Palace Zanzibar from 14/12/19-27/12/19 which is located on the beautiful soft, powdery, white sandy beaches of Nungwi in the North coast of Zanzibar (see attached photos).

A holiday is made enjoyable and memorable not just by the location, facilities, food but also the staff. Riu Palace Zanzibar delivered in all these areas except one.

Staff:
Except for one chef (who was not friendly) the rest of staff here are all super friendly from management down to cleaners and gardeners. Ghosh (assistant GM), Edgar & Rashid (entertainment), Nitin (Bar Manager), Christopher, Kassun & Orisbel (Front Office) and Narayan (restaurant GM) were all very friendly and helpful towards us often making time to say hello and check up on us. The trainee waitstaff Emmanuel and Jasmin provided us with excellent service each time we dined in section D (air conditioned area) of Promenade restaurant. Other, waitstaff who provided us with equally excellent service were Ismail (whose smile lit up the room), Hereith, Farida, Rhoda and restaurant supervisor Emmanuel. Both Veronica (Sunshine Bar) & Frances (Makuti Bar) made us delicious drinks. Maria, Martha & Witness provided us with excellent service at Krystal.

There is one exception to the friendly team at Hotel Riu Palace Zanzibar and that is the unfriendly, sullen chef Ronaldo (a Filipino chef who was moved from Riu Maldives to Zanzibar) who barked orders to the chefs at the live cooking stations and only walked around the buffet doing nothing but constantly checking his phone or ducking into the airconditioned restaurant to make personal phone calls in Tagalog (I understand this language). From day 1 when I introduced myself to him to discuss my husband’s dietary requirements and allergies he blew me off, was not interested in hearing what I had to say and never once cracked a smile or greeted me in the two weeks I frequented the buffet. Thankfully, Narayan was more helpful and actually introduced us to executive chef Uttam, who accommodated my husband’s dietary requirements. However, Ronaldo made my husband sick by cooking him a dish with cumin which he knew my husband is allergic to. I will explain further in the food section of my review.

Food:
We stayed 2 weeks and food was very repetitive and recycled. To be fair, executive chef Uttam accomodated my husband and cooked him his lunches and dinners during the first week and only dinners during the second week as he got busy, and my husband did not want to impose on him and only requested dinners to be cooked in our last week. My husband is vegetarian and although there are vegetarian dishes on the buffet, it is mainly Indian and as such contains cumin which my husband is allergic to. Hence, chef Uttam cooked him his meals. However, when chef Uttam had his days off, my husband was provided with the most unpalatable meal by chef Ronaldo. On my birthday when we dined at Krystal, chef Ronaldo cooked a cauliflower & broccoli masala that had cumin in it for my husband to eat, which made him sick and resulted in my husband vomiting when we went back to our room. My husband tasted a bit of it and told me there was cumin in it. I sniffed it then tasted it and there was cumin in it. We checked with restaurant staff who said that Ronaldo claimed there was no cumin but if he used a masala mix the cumin is already in it. We did not complain, but this is a serious health risk and Riu staff need to take people’s allergies seriously. We did report this incident to one very friendly and helpful staff member Edgar and asked him not to say anything until after we left as we did not want to cause any problems.

Room:
We stayed in a very quiet room (424) which is in the newly built area not far from reception and as its on a slope we had a good view of the sea as it was an end room the view was not obstructed by too many other buildings in front. The room itself is very spacious (see attached photos), well appointed and the power shower was awesome. Our room was always cleaned to an immaculate standard by Agnes and the staff who did the turn down service, where they sprayed mosquito repellent, changed the towels and emptied the bins at night. Our room was cleaned and fresh towels were provided twice a day even though we left our towels hanging on the rail to indicate no towel change they were still changed, but we are not complaining as our room was always cleaned to a very high standard. There is a generator behind the building in which room 424 is located in, it can get noisy when the generator runs when there is a power cut and we experienced a lot of power cuts during our stay, however, the room is generally quiet when the generator is not running.

Grounds:
The grounds and gardens are stunning and maintained by an army of gardeners and cleaners who work very hard everyday in hot conditions keeping the area beautiful and clean.

Bush Doctor:
The day after we arrived my husband and I along with another guest all got stung by sea urchins.
We were immediately attended by Mtumwa (bush doctor) who administered the sap of a young papaya fruit and removed the urchin spines and poison from the puncture wounds in our legs. Our wounds healed the very next day, so thank you to Mtumwa for his care.

This resort is nice, staff are friendly except for chef Ronaldo. If you are not bothered by eating repetitive and recycled food at lunch and dinner then I can recommend Hotel Riu Palace Zanzibar. As an opportunity for improvement, they already have good ingredients and produce to make delicious food, they just need to execute it well. If you are expecting delicious, good quality food then go elsewhere.

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank aitenshi

Dear aitenshi,

Thank you for thoroughly reviewing your stay with us.

We are glad that you liked the spacious rooms, the stunning grounds and gardens and the white, sandy beaches. However, since the health and wellbeing of our guests are our utmost priority, we are truly concerned to learn about the accident occurred in the restaurant. Please let us assure you that it was surely not the intention of our staff to provide your husband with food that he is allergic to, we sincerely apologize if this was the case.

We always make every effort to attend to all types of alimentary requests in order to avoid misfortunes.

We have already shared your comments with our leadership team for an adequate follow-up.

We do hope you allow us another opportunity to share a more positive experience with you next time.