“amazing resort”

Hideaway of Nungwi Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Nungwi
Reviewed August 27, 2013

this resort is breathtaking. words are never enough to describe it, wonderfull beach,great rooms, freandly warm staff, yummy food and exciting entertainment. what a great place thanks for making my holiday unforgettable.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Warda777
Samantha B, Guest Relations Manager at Hideaway of Nungwi Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Dear Warda777, we thank you very much for your kind message and were delighted to hear that you had such a nice time at Hideaway. It was a pleasure to host you and would be happy to do it again. Let us know when you plan on coming back. Until then and with kind regards, Samantha

Write a ReviewReviews (1,617)

Reviewed August 27, 2013

This place was amazing it was a great holiday, the staff were really good. The highlights sunset the beach and the drinks and to top it up meeting a Hollywood star from the film troy! Truly an amazing place

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Rajul1
Samantha B, Guest Relations Manager at Hideaway of Nungwi Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Dear Rajul1, we thank you a lot for such nice comments and are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay as well as our beautiful location. We would be delighted to welcome you again, should you wish to come back. Until then and with kind regards, Samantha

Reviewed August 27, 2013

best wellcome,best room, best food,amazing staff down 2 earth as if i know them from ages ,Perfectly located, wonderful setting, and a best environment. I had the most wonderful time staying at hideway and loved the personalized service I received. Well done hideway, I'll be back!

Room Tip: a 1 service
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank dbajaria2013

Dear dbajaria2013, we thank you very much for your enthusiastic comment and are delighted that you enjoyed yourself and our services. Perhaps you would have time to come back soon? Until then and with kind regards, Samantha

Reviewed August 26, 2013

We were very disappointed when we arrived at the Hideaway as soon as we saw our room. It was far away from the beach, didn't look like 45 qm but smaller, no junior suite but a normal double room. The room was smelling, after some nights and regrets from the reception and spraying chemicals by the housekeeping it was not getting better. I suspect that guests before must have een smoking in the room. The aircondition had a bad smell. We hab two rooms with interconnection, all together we where 5 people, three adults, two children, one bed was missing.
If sonething went wrong, the guest had to discover it and make an official reclamation, otherwise, nothing happened. On our first evening at the restaurant, there was a long wait line at the grill, the service was nice but very, very, very slow. If you asked for something, it looked like they understood what you wanted, but things never arrived. After the main course, our table looked like we had a big mess on it, nobody came to take away used plates, we had to build a tower of plates in the middle of our table to proceed with our dinner. We sent a picture of this mess to our travel agency, next morning it was better.
We also tried the DVD service, the payer came but without the inal connecting cable to the TV. But we at least got the only Kids DVD of the Hotel for our kids. The Kids club was very disappointing, it consited of a single cold room with no furnishment or paythings, just three tables and chairs, more a storage or washing room than a childrens playground. We did not even think about giving our children to this place.
My husband and I wnted to try out some watersports one day. We wanted to do some katamaran sailing. The watersport person was quite strange, my husband got a rude questionaire. The watersport responsible guy wanted to find out if we knew how to handle the katamaran and told my husband in a very unpolite manner to set up parts of the rig by reconfirming " look, are you sure...?"
We almost gave up. But in the end, as soon as we were on the sea, we were very happy sailing and ejoyed our 1/2 hour.
Next day, the watersport person had his day off, no katamaran, but everything else was suddenly available and we enjoyed SUP and windsurfing.
Conlusion: if you have stayed at a "leading Hotel of the World" before, don't go there because it is not at all compareable.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank Usfive2013
John R, General Manager at Hideaway of Nungwi Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2013

Dear Usfive2013, we must firstly assure you that your suites were indeed 45 square metres as publicised in all marketing materials. All our suites are non-smoking and any evidence of smoking is strictly acted upon so I cannot believe the odour in your suite was from smoke, though we will be sure to investigate its origin. We are continually striving to train further and harder in the restaurants and hope to be operating at a higher level of service for your next trip; the kids club too we are working quickly to improve as more and more junior travellers join us. The incident you mentioned with the watersports sounds most odd to us so please know that we will look into this carefully. We do hope to see you again soon. With kind regards, John

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Two thumbs up for Hideaway if Nungwi! Great beach, location, service and friendly people ever! I will try to come back and enjoy again this amazing resort! Don't miss a dinner at Carnivorous restaurant: great cooking experience!

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank dantesanto

Dear dantesanto, we thank you for such kind comments and we were glad to hear that you had an excellent stay with us. We are very proud of Carnivorous as a dining experience and delighted that you agree with us. When will you come back? Until the next time and with kind regards. Samantha

Reviewed August 25, 2013

Note: it's very hard for me to rate this place because it's the only beach resort I've ever stayed in on the continent of Africa. We met a lovely family from Dar es Salaam who said they'd been to Zanzibar many many times, and this was the nicest resort they had been to. So it's possible I'm just not calibrated on Zanzibar places.

Good:
-- the property is lovely. Obviously new, and extremely clean and well maintained
-- beach is quite nice -- sand is wonderfully fine and smooth. Downside is there's lots of coral bits at low tide, but generally quite lovely. Water was insanely calm for us (Aug 10ish), barely a hint of wave.
-- they had various kayaks and paddleboards to use (some free, some not), which was a big win for the family
-- rooms are lovely, nicely appointed and quite sizable.
-- pool is gorgeous, though to me shockingly cold for so close to the equator

Less good:
-- the first night, the power went out twice, once at 3:05am and again 10 mins later. When the power is restored, the security system gives a LOUD beep right by your pillow. I'm not sure I ever recovered from this; after 8 nights in the bush, I was sooo happy to get a good night sleep, and I was up from 315am on first night at an expensive resort. When I went to the front desk next day someone blithely said that that's "just what happens" when the power goes off. I expressed my, um, dismay, never heard back. Seriously -- I have no problem I'm in a place where power isn't reliable, but really, wake up the entire hotel at 315am? Wasn't just us, the other family we were with was awake half the night too.
-- Our kids *love* Teppanyaki, and we'd gotten them excited about it as something to look forward to for multiple nights in the Serengeti. We were at the Hideaway for 3 nights, and they didn't say anything the first night, and Ishi Teppanyaki was closed the second and third night, so we ended up with a lot of buffets at Aqua and no teppanyaki. Website has no indication that it's open anything less than all the time.
-- little stuff feels cheap. After 8 hours door to door from the Serengeti, our 10 year old was super hungry when we arrived at 5pm. We were on full board, but were charged $7 for a bowl of rice to tide him over until dinner started.
-- I know, I know, this is Africa, Hukana Matata. But the bar service can be astoundingly slow -- half hour to get a single drink, when you asked for two -- we had multiple instances of this.
-- Just make sure you know it's a full 70 mins from the airport -- it looks about as far as you can get on the island from the center. Gorgeous, but dissuaded us from a Stone Town trip.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank KCalifornian

Dear paleodad, we thank you for having taken the time to write us such a thorough review. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the beach and the watersports. Please be assured that we will take into account your constructive feedback; as a young hotel, your thoughts are invaluable and we are working swiftly to build upon our services and product. We look forward to welcoming you again at Hideaway. Until then and with kind regards, Samantha

Reviewed August 24, 2013

I spent 5 blissful nights at Hideaway at the beginning of July. I arrived and was greeted by extremely friendly staff and provided with a beverage to cool me down. Brought to my room straight away by golf cart and shown all the facilities in the room as well as informed regarding what was available on the grounds. The pool is by far the highlight of the grounds (which are also beautiful and have lovely colourful flowers throughout) followed very closely by an amazing bedroom with a stunning bathroom. Overlooking the indian ocean all simply wanted to chill and the pool area provided that. Travelling solo - the staff noticed this straight away and on day 2 I had an invitation to dinner with the Guest Relationship manager (sarah) if I'd like to accept. Whilst I like my own company I thought this was a really nice touch and I had a wonderful dinner with Sarah - she gave me lots of tips on Stone town and what to see/do, where to do shopping etc. I took some walks on the nearby beach - glorious. In addition, I had a massage at the spa and used the gym - all good. Would highly recommend to friends/family if one wants to relax. A new hotel so there are some items to iron out and the food wasn't as good as I would have expected for a 5 star but I'm not a foodie so not overly fussed. Would I go back - definitely!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Yvonne2013A

Dear Yvonne2013A, thank you for your kind message and comments. It was a pleasure to have dinner with you and I am glad my advice was useful. We would delighted to welcome you again or your friends/family. Until then and with kind regards, Samantha

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nungwi
Melia Zanzibar
#5 of 19 in Nungwi
ZanziResort
ZanziResort
#4 of 174 in Zanzibar Island

Been to Hideaway of Nungwi Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!