“Couldn't have been better!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Diving Poseidon

Diving Poseidon
Ranked #3 of 14 Tours in Nungwi
More attraction details
Owner description: We run a small diving centre, with the Austrian owners personally looking after your best! We have brand new equipment, our own locally built dhow (boat), friendly crew, experienced guides and always fresh fruits for you on board. We dive in small groups, trying to accomodate all individual preferences and make daily visits to breathtaking dive spots including Mnemba Marine Park. We offer PADI courses from beginners up to Dive Master. We can also assist you in finding the best accomodation for your needs! Karibuni Zanzibar!
Toronto, Canada
“Couldn't have been better!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

Fantastic experience diving in Nungwi with Berhard, Ilse and an unbelievable staff! They were super helpful from the very beginning and extremely passionate about their work. They made sure that I experienced the best diving with their decades of knowledge and professionalism in this industry. You can't miss this opportunity and would highly recommend Diving Poseidon in beautiful Zanzibar.
It's definitely a story to tell!!!

Visited July 2013

• Turkish first
Ko Lanta, Thailand
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“A 5* PADI dive centre in the making”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

Poseidon Diving is located just off the beach near Baraka Bungalows. its a small friendly company ran by Austrian husband and wife team Bernhard & Ilse.

The equipment is new and in good condition, the regs I was using had quality (and expensive!) lightweight miflex hoses, and the Seac BCD was fresh and in great condition. Its a small detail, but I liked that they used open fins and booties rather than the cheaper slip-on shoe variety that a lot of dive shops tend to use.

Their boat is a traditional dhow, and they employ local boat crew so you know you are in good hands on the water. Drinking water is provided, and there's fresh fruit and and packs of biscuits available to snack on - the biscuits I thought were a nice touch. Their divemaster Mbwana, like all good DM's, has eyes like microscopes and will point out all sorts of things you'd otherwise miss!

The diving is very relaxed, the eight dives I did were pretty shallow averaging around 15 meters, the sea floor off northern Zanzibar seems very flat and shallow and there didn't seem much opportunity for deeper dives so most divers will easily get 50/60 minute dives. Water temperature (at the end of June) was 26°C.

Absolutely not to be missed is the Mbemba atoll on the East coast. its over an hour away but was definitely a highlight, there was a pod of dolphins by the boat just before we dropped into water teeming with schools of reef fish, hawksbill turtles, large trumpet fish, octopus, cuttlefish, brightly coloured nudibranches and all the underwater eye-candy you'd expect from a healthy reef. Viz was around 25 meters. If you only do one days diving on Zanzibar you should make it here. On the journey back we had delicious cheese and vegetable pancakes.

Bernhard, Ilse and all the team put a lot of effort into making sure you enjoy diving with them and have great local knowledge out of the water too. I didn't dive with any other company on Zanzibar so my view is maybe slightly limited, but the staff, boat, and equipment standards at Diving Poseidon were high, if I return to Zanzibar I'd seek out and dive with them again. Definitely a potential 5* PADI resort in the making!

Visited June 2013
3 Thank DarrenJames
Deventer, The Netherlands
“Highly professional dive shop with very friendly staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

Two weeks ago me and two friends of mine - all without any diving experience - did our PADI open water diver course at Diving Poseidon, which we decided to approach after reading all the positive reviews here on Tripadvisor. And we certainly didn't regret our choice: Bernhard and Ilse (the owners) were very friendly and the course itself was perfectly organised! We felt at ease and safe in their hands throughout the course and had an amazing and unforgettable first underwater experience!! Thanks again to Bernhard, Ilse and the rest of the staff!!! :)

Visited June 2013
New Delhi, India
“Be with "the Gurus"....be with 'Ilse & Bernhard' at diving Poseidon!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

The sheer pageantry and spectacle that I witnessed in the Indian ocean was with Bernhard & Ilse and their crew. It is simply an unforgettable adventure and underwater experience . Diving Poseidon is the ultimate 'feel good' solution for scuba diving experiences and traning Courses. I completed my open water diver certification under the instructions and caring guidance of Bernhard and Ilse. They are highly professionals and super friendly. I recommend them in full terms!!!

Visited March 2013
“Great diving in zanzibar”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

Supernice staff and competent . Upgraded my cert there and it was great . Big cred to bernie and ilse who run the place . Experienced some great diving while i was in zanzibar .