We traveled from New York and stayed in Villa #4 at Diamonds Star or the East. A few thoughts:
- The resort is split into two sections; a slightly more down-market hotel/resort and the much higher end "Star of the East" villas.
- Guests of Star of the East have access to all facilities whereas hotel guests do not have all access.
- The villa was fantastic, luxurious and very private with around the clock butler service. The butlers are very attentive and extremely charming.
- The beach is nice, but not excellent. Due to the nature of the tide, the beach is separated by a man made structure from the water (nicely constructed, wooden wall with stairs down into the water when the tide comes in).
- The sand is meticulously clean and very light in color and the water is beautiful, but Zanzibar itself does not have quite the "deserted island" feel of the further off coast indian ocean islands nor the smaller islands just off of Zanzibar (Mnemba, for example).
- There are a handful of restaurants to choose from (one of which is limited to Star of the East guests) and all have simple menus with very good food and South African wine. We found the food and wine to be ideal for a beach vacation - light, fresh, simple recipes (nothing overly garnished or seasoned).
All in all, we found our stay to be delightful and we recommend Star of the East as the ideal starting or ending point for Safari in Tanzania and Kenya.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A magnificent private sanctuary of eleven exclusive villas with their own plunge pool and a tastefully furnished terrace, a covered Makuti patio and a large tropical garden to enjoy exclusive privacy and the supreme view over the Indian Ocean and the famous Zanzibar sunset. The villas are named after eleven of the most precious gems in the world to match the modern and contemporary African style architecture. Personal butler service, a private beach and unmatched all-inclusive services accommodate the most discerning traveller with ultimate comfort, privacy and luxury. Literally everything and anything you could dream of is catered for at the very highest level of all-inclusive services including access to all facilities, restaurants and bars of Diamonds La Gemma dell’Est. Diamonds Star of the East is member of Small Luxury Hotels of the World. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Diamonds Star of the East reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Diamonds Star Of The East Zanzibar Island/Nungwi