We arrived on the 1st of June after our serengeti safari. We were the first guests of the season we pretty much had the hotel to ourselves. We were given a fantastic upgrade and we're treated like royalty for our whole stay. The hotel had just had the reception repaired after the storm damage and had the rest of the hotel had a coat of paint. I found the hotel in fantastic condition and was well worthy of a five star resort. Food was great, Zanzibar is a small island with not much on it so the hotel makes everything itself including like bread, jams, and honey. All the food is cooked fresh and we never had any problems. Other good points are the jetty and pool area. The room we stayed in was also fantastic. Staff were very attentive and nice. We had an incident one day, which was no fault of the hotel and it was handled very well by the management, in particular by Hussein, Julia and Joseph .
Bad points about the hotel I would say was maybe some staff at dinner were over attentive, sometimes you would just like to be left to eat you dinner but maybe that's just me.
Also there was no entertainment which we didn't mind but others may, and there isn't anywhere else to go out and eat at night, we didn't leave the resort but that's not the hotels fault, I would say it's the same for all of the island other than stone town and even then I didn't fancy eating there either.
I loved Zalu and was the perfect rest after a gruelling safari and I would recommend staying there to any one visiting Zanzibar but I was disappointed with the island it's self.
Thanks guys for a wonderful holiday.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Take a deep breath of fresh Indian ocean air, relax and unwind. Essque Zalu Zanzibar is an intimate boutique destination nestled in a natural cove in the north east coast of Unguja (alias Zanzibar). Essque Zalu Zanzibar combines contemporary luxury with a real sense of place. This boutique hotel has the turquoise waters of the Indian ocean to one side and lush green forest to the other, and there is just a hint of spice in the warm and fragrant tropical air. At Essque Zalu Zanzibar, create your own personal paradise, your own kind of luxury, an experience of a lifetime. Choose from 40 individual suites and 8 villas all with picturesque views over the lush tropical garden or the ocean turquoise blue. Our suites offer a luxurious-styled space crafted from local materials, adorned with native artwork and housed under a traditional pitched makuti roof. From farm to table, we take great pride in our sumptuous cooking. Satisfy your taste buds with a choice of two unique restaurants, three well stocked bars and a variety of destination dining experiences. Unashamedly indulgent, the Spa comprises of two couples treatment rooms, four single rooms, vichy shower, a sauna and steam room - a haven of restorative and rejuvenating perfection. Using only 100% truly organic and natural ingredients, our focus is on capturing the intelligence of nature in the restorative process. We know that the essence of nature can synergistically interact with the energy system, and this knowledge forms the basis of our Africology creations, all orchestrated to help you lead a more holistic lifestyle. Essque Zalu is your outpost into the first steps of the wildness and tranquility of Zanzibar. Reconnect with nature and experience a land rich in life and uninhabited space. We offer guests the opportunity to partake in activities to experience some of the islands most Spectacular and scenic excursions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, Agoda, Priceline, HostelWorld, Orbitz, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your Essque Zalu Zanzibar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Essque Zalu Zanzibar Hotel Nungwi
- Essque Zalu Zanzibar Zanzibar Island/Nungwi