We came to this hotel after a week on safari. It was incredibly relaxing to be somewhere where every need was catered for. If you want to relax after safari, this is the place to do it.
The food was absolutely fantastic, especially the delicious breads served with every meal. Memorable amongst the dishes we had was the smoked swordfish, the swahili soup served with dinner and the fresh juices at breakfast. Based on reviews here I had expected good food, but I was surprised at how good it was. The service was great and the wait staff were lovely to talk to. The cocktails from the bar were also very good.
We were not willing to pay $100 return fare to Stonetown through the hotel, so we went out of the hotel, turned left and asked the vendor opposite the aquarium to organise transport for us. They gave us $80 return trip to Stonetown. They were on time with pick up and drop off, and the vehicle was comfortable and air conditioned. It's always a risk booking through a local vendor but everything worked out fine for us and we saved $120.
I used that $120 saved at the spa. I had an aromotherapy massage from Jessica and it was fantastic and well worth the money.
The lack of beach was not a problem. The pool was so beautiful and close to the ocean, it was nice to swim there anyway.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Take a deep breath of fresh Indian ocean air, relax and unwind. Essque Zalu Zanzibar is an intimate boutique destination nestled in a natural cove in the north east coast of Unguja (alias Zanzibar). Essque Zalu Zanzibar combines contemporary luxury with a real sense of place. This boutique hotel has the turquoise waters of the Indian ocean to one side and lush green forest to the other, and there is just a hint of spice in the warm and fragrant tropical air. At Essque Zalu Zanzibar, create your own personal paradise, your own kind of luxury, an experience of a lifetime. Choose from 40 individual suites and 8 villas all with picturesque views over the lush tropical garden or the ocean turquoise blue. Our suites offer a luxurious-styled space crafted from local materials, adorned with native artwork and housed under a traditional pitched makuti roof. From farm to table, we take great pride in our sumptuous cooking. Satisfy your taste buds with a choice of two unique restaurants, three well stocked bars and a variety of destination dining experiences. Unashamedly indulgent, the Spa comprises of two couples treatment rooms, four single rooms, vichy shower, a sauna and steam room - a haven of restorative and rejuvenating perfection. Using only 100% truly organic and natural ingredients, our focus is on capturing the intelligence of nature in the restorative process. We know that the essence of nature can synergistically interact with the energy system, and this knowledge forms the basis of our Africology creations, all orchestrated to help you lead a more holistic lifestyle. Essque Zalu is your outpost into the first steps of the wildness and tranquility of Zanzibar. Reconnect with nature and experience a land rich in life and uninhabited space. We offer guests the opportunity to partake in activities to experience some of the islands most Spectacular and scenic excursions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Jovago.com, Priceline, Booking.com, Expedia and Jetsetter so you can book your Essque Zalu Zanzibar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Essque Zalu Zanzibar Hotel Nungwi
- Essque Zalu Zanzibar Zanzibar Island/Nungwi