In December 2012 we spent 2 night at Essque Zalu prompted by a friend texting me a photo while we were on safari in Tanzania. When arrived in were instantly blown away. The design and ambience of the place was divine - not like anything we had yet or would experience in Africa.
Due to our very late reservation we managed to secure an Ocean View room for the first night and then a garden room for the second. This didn't bother us at all. The Ocean room was divine and right on the ocean. Zanzibar was very hot and the breeze off the ocean was very nice.
Once we had settled in the manager Nicholas advised us that there was a big wedding taking place that night and that over 100 people would be staying/attending!! We were a bit surprised and not terribly worried. He assured us that he would do everything he could to ensure our stay would be great and he did.
The wedding was loud (finishing at 6.30am when the generator finally gave up or someone secretly turned it off) but the ocean room we were in seems not to pick up most of the noise and we could still sleep pretty well. The next morning we were greeted by a very tired and apologetic Nicholas advising that he had upgraded us to a villa instead of the garden room. Apart from the fact that this was unnecessary as we were only mildly impacted, the villa was incredible and the offer clearly very generous.
While we were out snorkelling with a dive group (another review) and swimming with dolphins, all our luggage was transferred to the villa for she we arrived back. Our son couldn't keep his jaw off the ground he was so impressed.
Overall the two nights at Essque Zalu were fantastic made all the better by excellent service and attention by staff and a genuine feeling of wanting you to enjoy your stay. Our only regret was that we didn't get longer to stay (especially as the wedding guests left the same day we did)...
It would be fantastic to see a place like this use its position to provide some support to local communities and to encourage the guests to support the initiative as Im sure many, if not all, could afford to! Thanks Nicholas
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Take a deep breath of fresh Indian ocean air, relax and unwind. Essque Zalu Zanzibar is an intimate boutique destination nestled in a natural cove in the north east coast of Unguja (alias Zanzibar). Essque Zalu Zanzibar combines contemporary luxury with a real sense of place. This boutique hotel has the turquoise waters of the Indian ocean to one side and lush green forest to the other, and there is just a hint of spice in the warm and fragrant tropical air. At Essque Zalu Zanzibar, create your own personal paradise, your own kind of luxury, an experience of a lifetime. Choose from 40 individual suites and 8 villas all with picturesque views over the lush tropical garden or the ocean turquoise blue. Our suites offer a luxurious-styled space crafted from local materials, adorned with native artwork and housed under a traditional pitched makuti roof. From farm to table, we take great pride in our sumptuous cooking. Satisfy your taste buds with a choice of two unique restaurants, three well stocked bars and a variety of destination dining experiences. Unashamedly indulgent, the Spa comprises of two couples treatment rooms, four single rooms, vichy shower, a sauna and steam room - a haven of restorative and rejuvenating perfection. Using only 100% truly organic and natural ingredients, our focus is on capturing the intelligence of nature in the restorative process. We know that the essence of nature can synergistically interact with the energy system, and this knowledge forms the basis of our Africology creations, all orchestrated to help you lead a more holistic lifestyle. Essque Zalu is your outpost into the first steps of the wildness and tranquility of Zanzibar. Reconnect with nature and experience a land rich in life and uninhabited space. We offer guests the opportunity to partake in activities to experience some of the islands most Spectacular and scenic excursions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Priceline, Agoda, HostelWorld, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your Essque Zalu Zanzibar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Essque Zalu Zanzibar Hotel Nungwi
- Essque Zalu Zanzibar Zanzibar Island/Nungwi