All reviewsmarket kitchenour honeymoonbeautiful jettymain buildinginfinity pool overlooking the oceanpier restaurantkids clubmassage roomlow tidestone townthe general managerindian oceanprivate dinnerbeautiful hotelsea waterlarge poolsalt water
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Absolutely beautiful hotel. Excellent service. Fabulous food. A perfect romantic getaway. It took my breath away when we walked in. Unfortunate that you can't swim off the beach but the infinity pool is a very very close substitute and we swam off the jetty each day. Just the most relaxing time. All the staff were really nice. The fruit skewers and hand made daily drinks by the pool were all so delicious. The private living units were fully equipped and the bed was really comfortable. Can't recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 5, 2012

This place is amazing!! I have been to over 60 countries in this world and have stayed at some impressive places but this place (Essque Zalu) takes the proverable cake- from its location to the accomdations to the view to the food and the impecable friendly service. This place is Great a must do on anyones bucket list. Manager is a great guy who stops by your table at every meal to make sure everything is well.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank 71Countries
Ezz11, General Manager at Essque Zalu Zanzibar, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2013

Bonjour and greetings from Unguja (Zanzibar)

We are humbled by your wonderful feedback especially coming from such an intrepid traveller.

The team and myself send you our sincere appreciations and compliments of the season and if at all you venture our way again, we would be more than delighted to welcome you back at the hotel.

With warm regards,

Nicolas Konig

Reviewed November 29, 2012

After an outstanding 12 day Safari trip we arrived in this stunning place! There is this entrance hall of 40 meters height, the turquoise infinity pool which seems to merge seamlessly with the ocean, the jetty which allows you to swim in the ocean even at low tide, the excellent four course menu every night, the beautiful and very relaxing spa and last but not least the incredible friendly staff who makes your stay definitely memorable. And to top all this we were offered a swahili cooking class in the hotel's kitchen! This is definitely one of the most exciting places we ever stayed!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ChrigelTraveller
Reviewed November 24, 2012

One week at Essque Zalu Zanzibar was a fantastic relaxing experience. Everyone at the hotel made their best effort to make our stay a life long experience, and it was just that; memories that will never fade!

The atmosphere, the food, the staff and the location of the hotel is just fabulous!

We went to Zanzibar on our honeymoon, and nothing could have made a this event better than the stay at this fantastic place.

When the sun set, and the hotel was lit up by the very atmospheric lightning, it was so very nice to walk around the area and just enjoy!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 17, 2012

As a Travel Agent I am lucky enough to get to stay in some amazing resorts and when I was asked if I would like to go to Zanzibar to stay at the Essque Zalu I quickly looked at the Hotel website to see what it all looked like and accepted the offer straight away.

After an hours drive from Zanzibar Airport we arrived at the Essque with its imposing tall thatched roof and we were met by Ruth who welcomed us to the Hotel and advised us that they do not have a reception as such that everyone is individually greeted and taken directyl to their Villa's.

We were given a nice cool face cloth and a lovely cold glass of their local juice and we were shown to our Villa, I stayed in Villa 3 which happened to be a four bedroomed , four bathroomed Villa as I was sharing this with 3 others it was perfect as we all had a bedroom and ensuite bathroom each. To say we had had our own ensuite was an understatement , the bathroom was bigger than my bedroom at home and on top of that I still had a walk in shower that was big enough to fit four people or more , very spacious indeed, There were three massive big Kimg bedded seaview rooms and one twin garden view room, there was a massive big lounge with corner Setee suite , a Kitchen ,your own treatment room if you decided you would like to have a massage they could come and do this in the privacy of your villa, there was a private plunge pool and garden and stunning views of the changing ocean.

On the resort there is a beautiful infinity pool that staggers down in layers and fantastic seating areas to soak up that amazing view. They have a pier where there is a restautant and bar right at the end and we had lunch there and the food and cockatils were amaizing.

We went back there in the eveing for cocktails and watched the sunset and people were jumping off the pier in to the sea, we then went for dinner in the restaurant upstairs at the main Hotel, It is a massive big restaurant that is made of various area's because of it's size , they have an art collection up there and floor to ceiling glass windows again to look at the view , the only negative thing I would say about the restaurant is that it is so big it lacks atmosphere and luckily for us there were 09 of us all together so we made some atmosphere but he coudl have done with some lovely backing music in the background.

The Breakfast is served in the downstairs restaurant which has a pretty outside seating area to enjoy the lovely warm weather, they serve everything you would expect including pancakes, waffles etc there was a choice of teas and lovely fresh kenyan cofee.

I would say the only downside to this which isn't negative as I live in Guernsey and I am used to tides on our beaches , but it is very tidal so you have to check when it is high tide so you can swim in that gorgeous sea as it does go quite low and you cannot swim in it because there is a lot of coral but if you like an early morning and evening dip then it would be fine , there is a lot of seaweed which the women gather when the tide is low to use for various things.

I probaly would not recommend this resort for children as it only has a small childrens club but if all your children like doing is swimming in a pool then it will be absolutely fine, all in all I would highly recommend the Essque Zalu , everthing is stunning and the staff are very friendly so you would truley have a relaxing holiday.

Thank You Ruth and Vinay for making our stay memorable

Room Tip: Most of tem are sea facing and there are a few that are inland facing a little square with lovely gardens but sea view rooms are well worth the extra
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends