First visit to Zanzibar for a long two week holiday, after seeing the photos of the hotel online I couldn't wait to see it for myself. It is just over an hour to drive there by taxi from the airport, but it is well worth the journey! As we arrived we were warmly greeted by the staff, we were shown around while they quickly took care of the bags. There's a great choice of rooms depending on your budget and party size.
The hotel, rooms and restaurants are beautifully designed and furnished, giving it a lovely clean, comfortable and special feel. The staff are polite and friendly, they learnt all our names, made us feel at home and it really makes a difference.
There are three restaurants, the market kitchen where breakfast, lunch and dinner are served. The nightly menu is fixed with three, four course options: normal menu, vegetarian or swahili. The normal menu and vegetarian change every night and the staff will gladly mix and match a little if you fancy more than one dish on a paricular night. You can eat the normal nightly menu upstairs underneath the full expanse of the large thatched roof. They also have a special menu upstairs with more game meat options and the biggest chocolate dessert...! Then there's the jetty, sat out above the water where we would have lunch, it is more of a swahili menu with chapati wraps, kebabs, beautiful salads and seafood. The food was absolutely delicious and we didn't tire of it at all even after two weeks. It was great to explore the different cuisine and fruits of the island.
People have commented on the beach, there is one, but you do need to make an effort and consult the tide planner! Zanzibar has quite a large tidal range, over four meters on spring tides. When sunbathing does it mater if you're bed is on sand? We had hours to walk all the way up the beach to a beautiful sand bar surrounded by the crystal clear seawater. If you head the other way you get to Nungwi in less than 10 minutes. As the tide comes in, it does stir up the sand and so the water is not clear at high tide. You can swim off the end of the jetty where you can also lounge on sunbeds by the bar!
A really impressive hotel that seems unique as it settles into it's landscape with the thatched roof designs of all the buildings. The food was outstanding that it was very easy to order far more than you can manage! I didn't take a close look at any other hotels around the island, but I don't know how they could come anywhere close to the quality of Zalu.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Take a deep breath of fresh Indian ocean air, relax and unwind. Essque Zalu Zanzibar is an intimate boutique destination nestled in a natural cove in the north east coast of Unguja (alias Zanzibar). Essque Zalu Zanzibar combines contemporary luxury with a real sense of place. This boutique hotel has the turquoise waters of the Indian ocean to one side and lush green forest to the other, and there is just a hint of spice in the warm and fragrant tropical air. At Essque Zalu Zanzibar, create your own personal paradise, your own kind of luxury, an experience of a lifetime. Choose from 40 individual suites and 8 villas all with picturesque views over the lush tropical garden or the ocean turquoise blue. Our suites offer a luxurious-styled space crafted from local materials, adorned with native artwork and housed under a traditional pitched makuti roof. From farm to table, we take great pride in our sumptuous cooking. Satisfy your taste buds with a choice of two unique restaurants, three well stocked bars and a variety of destination dining experiences. Unashamedly indulgent, the Spa comprises of two couples treatment rooms, four single rooms, vichy shower, a sauna and steam room - a haven of restorative and rejuvenating perfection. Using only 100% truly organic and natural ingredients, our focus is on capturing the intelligence of nature in the restorative process. We know that the essence of nature can synergistically interact with the energy system, and this knowledge forms the basis of our Africology creations, all orchestrated to help you lead a more holistic lifestyle. Essque Zalu is your outpost into the first steps of the wildness and tranquility of Zanzibar. Reconnect with nature and experience a land rich in life and uninhabited space. We offer guests the opportunity to partake in activities to experience some of the islands most Spectacular and scenic excursions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your Essque Zalu Zanzibar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Essque Zalu Zanzibar Hotel Nungwi
- Essque Zalu Zanzibar Zanzibar Island/Nungwi