“Great Experience”

East Africa Diving Centre
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Visited EAD in July, I did a Discover Scuba and 2 dives at Mnemba , my 2 teenagers did 4 Open Water dives with them. Found EAD to be very professional and equipment was very good. Al the staff and management were very friendly and very helpful, highly recommended.

All reviews
in 69 reviews
"captain"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed July 17, 2013

Did a refresher and a two tank dive with them in July 2013. I am an Advanced Open Water certified diver who has dived quite a bit all over the world.

The company has at least two offices in Nungwi. The owners were friendly and congenial, I stopped by in the morning and was able to do the refresher that afternoon and dive the next day. The divemasters were professional and did a good job with going over the skills in a nearby hotel pool. What was a little weird is the short amount of time that the divemasters I met had been in Zanzibar/with the company, none of them had been there a year and most seemed to be planning on leaving soon. I don’t think it is a reflection on the company, but rather how expensive Zanzibar is to live on a divemaster’s salary.

It was $100 for two tank dives (I think $60 for one and then discounted for the more dives you did) with an additional $20 or $30 for Mnemba Atoll fees. The refresher was $30 and they charged $20 for equipment rental. The equipment was fairly new and appeared to be in good shape, note that they seemed to only have full foot fins. They take credit cards, with a 5% surcharge, which was great since it is hard to have enough cash on hand for Zanzibar.

Show time was 9am and two boats, one dhow and a rhib (basically an inflatable speed boat), went out for the morning dives. I was on the rhib, which went to Mnemba Atoll, I am not sure where the dhow went. We had five divers, three snorkelers, the captain, divemaster, and a snorkeler guide, and there enough space for us all to sit on the edge without bumping into each other too much. The rhib is apparently much faster than the dhow (although obviously I didn’t experience this first hand) and got to the Atoll in about 30 minutes. (Note that there is no sunshade on the rhib and, for divers, you have to backroll to get off and take off all your gear to climb back on. Not a big deal, but something to be aware of, especially if you have any mobility issues.) They had fruit and water on the boat for the divers and snorkelers between dives. Total time for the trip was about 5 hours, including getting to and from the Atoll, two 50-minute dives, and roughly an hour surface interval.

The dives were as a group and were dive master led. It was “full service” diving in that I never touched my equipment. When you got to the boat, the BCD was already set up with a tank, and when you got out of the water, they re-set it up for you. They even set up the weight belt for you. I don’t particularly like “full service”, but I know many people do. We dove air, not sure if they have nitrox.

Mnemba Atoll itself was a bit of a disappointment. The coral was in parts bleached to non-existence and despite it being a conservation area, it is clearly overfished. There were no large fish, although good sized schools of smaller ones. There were tons of other boats, but I never saw a diver from another group in the water.

All in all, a good dive center that I fully recommend if anyone is in Nungwi and wants to go into the blue.

1  Thank hanna718
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We were recommended the East Africa dive centre by our hotel as a good reputable provider for a snorkelling trip to Mnemba atoll, they offered some sound advice before the trip re how best to get there, we settled for the fast rib, so glad we did we were collected at out hotel at 0845 and then just 20 minutes to get to the atoll versus 3 hours on a dhow with a professional guide and captain, half way across the rib stopped and we were surrounded by dolphins, we literally jumped into the ocean and had the amazing opportunity to swim with these beautiful mammals, no other boats just us with about 50 dolphins. The benefit of the rib is it gets you to the atoll before the crowds arrive so we had a good hour snorkelling with our guide who pointed out various fish etc, the coral is beautiful and it is like swimming in an aquarium, literally fish of all sizes everywhere, very well preserved and minimal damage, a rarity these days, we then moved to another site for further snorkelling as other boats arrived and again had further opportunity to swim with the dolphins, just me swimming alone with 4 dolphins surrounding me not more than 1 foot away including a baby, WOW! The boat provides refreshments and snacks and then gets you back by about 1300 pm all this for just 55 US dollars and only 6 people on our boat versus others we went by with dozens, one of the best priced trips and certainly the most memorable. I highly recommend these guys if in zanzibar and looking for a professional, safe and reliable organiser. Run by a very friendly German and South African couple. Thanks again for your good advise and making our experience one we will never forget. Hope to come back again one day and do it all over again.

1  Thank AsiaSteve72
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I did my advanced PADI course here and my wife (who had already completed the advanced) came along for 3 of the dives.

We found the guys in East Africa Dive centre really nice and very professional.

I would recommend this dive centre to anyone, especially as friends of ours had a bad experience with another dive school.

See more reviews
Reviewed June 2, 2013

This excellent snorkeling/diving company offers the best service available for water sports in northern Zanzibar. They utilize a rubber speed boat to quickly get you from their site to the actual snorkeling/dive site. The equipment is top notch and the employees are knowledgeable about the local wildlife. We snorkeled Mnemba Island and saw so many beautiful fish and sea creatures that it would take three reviews to capture them all. We were even afforded an opportunity to swim with dolphins that happened upon us. What an experience. There may be cheaper outfits in the area, but rest assured, you can sit on a 1-2hr boat ride with them or a 30minute speed boat ride with East Africa Diving. Why waste time getting to the destination, when you could spend time in the water at the destination? All gear was provided in the cost of the trip. Water and snacks were provided on the water. And the memories of the experience will last a lifetime. In total, we spent about 3-4hrs on this trip, which includes the 30 minutes in travel each direction. Excellent value for the cost.